Little Weathering Work On 21st CT Hellcat

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Little Weathering Work On 21st CT Hellcat

Post by Warbird Kid » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 am

Broken Links. Cant see.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:03 am

Updated
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:40 am

From what I see in the pictures the "weathering" is almost invisible. In one picture there are light blast stains behind the wing guns but no corresponding marks at the shell casing ejection ports. If this is a possible work up for a proposed diecast warbird line, I strongly urge that weathering/staining not be attempted as it's very difficult to get right and many collectors prefer not to have it. I'd rather do my own, so long as the panel lines are indented enough----.20th of an inch----to make it feasible.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:21 pm

.......I was thinking it could do with a "wash" to bring out the panel lines. Not a black wash, but a grey tone to just bring the lines out a bit more perhaps.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Pictures too blurry to really make out what you've done. This has been an issue with your other posts; why post pics that are blurry, dude?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Ok note taken on bringing out the penal lines, ill do that when I get home, and sense were on the subject, tell me witch one looks better on my revell 1/48 He-111
http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/d ... image.html
I think I got the paint I wanted down good
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:45 pm

I must say that the first two pictures of the HE-111 parts look very messy, rather than weathered. The second set has almost no weathering----unless I'm missing something----and the panel lines are barely visible, making any attempt at weathering by the washing method almost impossible. Perhaps you might let us know what you are trying to demonstrate by these pictures so we can respond more meaningfully.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:22 pm

If you brush-painted the He-111 you might want to thin your paint out a little more. It looks kind of thick in that last pic.

And I agree with Epap.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Well this He-111 is going to be part of a diorama the messy part is suppose to look messy it's oil leak the Panel lines don't need to be visible where it's going to be hanging (high in the museum) the 109 in the second set of pictures will be part of it right now I'm waiting till hobby lobby gets a new shipment so I can pick up about 9 more 111's 7 or so 109's and maybe 3 190's and for the allies side I'm getting spitfires and P-51C's
On the other side of the museum I'm doing B-29's dropping bombs held by fishing line from the bomb bay (good idea huh) being chaced by A6M5's fallowed by P-51's and for the front lobby I already have B-1's and F-15's in a formation flyover over the gift shop.
All as a gift to the museum from my family for them welcoming us to this town!

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:20 am

Starting on bringing the panel lines out.

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 am

As for me, I think the weathering effects are a bit heavy-handed. If you have been around real aircraft much, rather than models, you know that the panel lines are not all that prominent, except in areas with lots of oil leaks, etc., such as engine areas, and places with hydraulic components, oil coolers, and other sources of crud, and usually exhibit some streaking. Exhaust stains are prominent on heavily used aircraft also, but must follow the natural air flow patterns to look right. Often, panel lines are molded too wide and deep on models, so emphasizing them is not really a good choice in my opinion. A small amount of paint chipping around often opened servicing panels is appropriate, such as ammo hatches. A bit of wear around cockpit edges and wing walkways, footsteps, and handholds is realistic too.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 am

Snake Man wrote:As for me, I think the weathering effects are a bit heavy-handed. If you have been around real aircraft much, rather than models, you know that the panel lines are not all that prominent, except in areas with lots of oil leaks, etc., such as engine areas, and places with hydraulic components, oil coolers, and other sources of crud, and usually exhibit some streaking. Exhaust stains are prominent on heavily used aircraft also, but must follow the natural air flow patterns to look right. Often, panel lines are molded too wide and deep on models, so emphasizing them is not really a good choice in my opinion. A small amount of paint chipping around often opened servicing panels is appropriate, such as ammo hatches. A bit of wear around cockpit edges and wing walkways, footsteps, and handholds is realistic too.
I agree, I'm around aircraft everyday, the last picture there it's the first step on bringing the panel lines out its not finished, neither is it even paint, It's my own idea of using pencil led, so that if I don't like it at any point I can just wipe it away, I put it in heavy threw out the whole aircraft on every panel line next step ill be wiping it down leaving it heavy in like you said the areas of the engine, gears, flaps, folding wing, and control surfaces, leaving exhaust stains and wear and metallic like scrapes around any doors and hinges, also leaving shadow effects in some areas.

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:04 pm

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote: It's my own idea of using pencil led.
Ahh! I was wondering why the edges of the panels were dark, but not the actual indented lines themselves.
While I do like bringing out the panel lines, you guys are right about the lines usually being too deep and wide. Making the lines over exaggerated.
If you're going to be starting a new kit and the lines are too thick. You could look at filling in all the panel lines with filler, and then re-scribing them so they are finer. Then apply a wash.
Although, if you're going to be doing 9+ He-111's, this might get a bit tedious. So a more streamlined assembly line method may be your best bet.
If they are hanging up high, you might only need to do the under surface anyway.
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm

......................or you could just fill all the engraved panel lines, paint the model, and then just draw in the lines with a fine pencil.