Figure Repainting?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
oldbreedmarine
Private First Class
Private First Class

Figure Repainting?

Post by oldbreedmarine » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

Aside from buying the 21st xd Marines, I still have alot of figures from the D-day line. How do I repaint them to look like Marines or Similar at least any tips? And paint to use? Thanks. God Bless. :D

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Figure Repainting?

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Not sure on the correct shade of paint for the standard green USMC uniform, but be sure to use acrylic paints, especially on the D-Day figures. Oil-based paints will not dry right on the soft plastic and leave a sticky residue.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cuatroboca
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cuatroboca » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm

^wish i had known that about a year ago

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Do you need to wash the figures when painting over the original paint?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 am

grockwood wrote:Do you need to wash the figures when painting over the original paint?

Washing is a good idea for any repainting. :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:38 am

Yes wash them with water & and very deluted dish soap in a sink,then rinse them in clean water and dry them with a towel,let them dry overnite or use an airbrush to blow the water from the joints,I like Vallejo model color paints for figure painting,Andrea color are great too.

PLASTICFANATIC
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PLASTICFANATIC » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

If finding Vallejo,Andrea Miniatures or Tamiya acrylic paints becomes dificult in your area or want to give a "break" to the wallet, consider the acrylic paints at your local arts and craft store...yes those that come y the tall plastic bottles y quite a variety of colors. The mix very well...you can get any color/shade you need, they can be deluted with water very nice and apply smooth.

The secret of painting with acrylics is getting the right consistency and pigment in the paint for a smooth a full coverage of the painted area without heavy buildup or fragile finish...AKA...lifting paint with the touch. I usualy buy several color only and mix my custom colors to get the shade needed without breaking the wallet. The basics...flat black,white,blue,dark brown,light tan,light pink,yellow,dark green,red...will give you almost any uniform color..by mixing...you may need..as well as blending and highlights and detail painting...the are also great for some armor weathering jobs/details.

Hope thi info is of help to your needs.