Home Depot sample paint

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Home Depot sample paint

Post by USCGMK2 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:12 am

Has anyone used Home Depot sample paint through an airbrush? Seems kind of thick, not sure if using thinner would hurt the paint? I got a 1/32 21C Zero and it looks like whoever was on the job was in a rush and got glue all over the wings.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Home Depot sample paint

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 am

From what I've heard you need to dilute it about 50/50 to use it in an airbrush.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 am

Pikelhaube post some tutorial about using that sample paint for people who wan to paint his mods and match them to the original vehicle color.
When you bring a piece of the color you want,they will match it perfectly.
It is diluted with water. The down side is that you have to give it about 4 coats minimum to cover. The good side is that the color match good and that is acrilic like 21st century toys used on all there models,so paint will hold pretty well. I am not sure when he made his tutorial,but maybe you want to send him a PM for any advice on that paint.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:59 am

TankAce wrote:Pikelhaube post some tutorial about using that sample paint for people who wan to paint his mods and match them to the original vehicle color.
When you bring a piece of the color you want,they will match it perfectly.
It is diluted with water. The down side is that you have to give it about 4 coats minimum to cover. The good side is that the color match good and that is acrilic like 21st century toys used on all there models,so paint will hold pretty well. I am not sure when he made his tutorial,but maybe you want to send him a PM for any advice on that paint.

Here is the post.

I have used the paint in a airbrush. I cut it about 50/ 50 with denatured alcohol. I was able to use it but it is a pain.

You have to constantly stir it and the tip constantly gets clogged.

But you can use it. Possibly if you cut it with water it could be more user friendly.

But as far as getting a paint match , it is perfect !!

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... sing+depot
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

USCGMK2
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by USCGMK2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you. Yes, that was a pain to do in the airbrush. But i got my touch up done.