Spray can snow

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Spray can snow

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:23 am

has anybody ever used the spray snow from a can you get this time of year for Christmas decorating? The stuff you put on windows and trees.

I'm thinking of getting a can to winterize a couple of tanks but not sure how it will look, how long it will last etc.

Anyone have experience and/or can recommend a good brand to get?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Spray can snow

Post by Jnewboy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm

santa snow, it works but dries up and becomes powder after a few weeks

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 pm

hm, i want the stuff i use to have permanence to it. Can you recommend a way to simulate snowfall on a vehicle that is easy and will last?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

I have done 1/18 diecast and have shot the model with flat clear and then sprinkle baking soda on it. I used a flour sifter or shake a colander to spread the baking soda.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Baking soda has mixed results. Sometimes it eats away paint - ask me how I know. :evil:

Use woodland scenics Snow! GREAT STUFF! Use a respirator though, I hear it is not great to inhale before it has been fixed to the model. It is made of micro balls or something. I forgot. :P
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:Baking soda has mixed results. Sometimes it eats away paint - ask me how I know. :evil:

Use woodland scenics Snow! GREAT STUFF! Use a respirator though, I hear it is not great to inhale before it has been fixed to the model. It is made of micro balls or something. I forgot. :P
Since I used mine on diecast that is usually bake on, I haven't had issues. If I did, it would add to the "junkyard" look I am going after anyways. :lol:

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Be carefull, make a trial on a broken model, some snow spray may contain some solvent that would bring your built surface melting down (but can be used on natural christmas trees). Then it depends on what effect you need: for just a fin layer of snow: the spray to make windows decoration, don't spray direct on your tank, but over it. For a heavy snow needing your squad to get their shovels: the spray for the trees. Not sure it holds over time.