Flying Styro A-10

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Flying Styro A-10

Post by Birddog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm

I recieved my Flying Styro A-10 kit in the mail. I took a few pictures of it to share with everyone. Below are pictures of it next to bbi's F-18. The A-10 is a doable aircraft in 1/18 scale as far as size is concerned. Flying Styro's website says that the kit is 1/17 scale but is really more 1/18 scale. The measurements are off by a gnat's hair. As you will be able to see in the pictures below, the foam texture show a little bit in places but not enough to really detract from what this kit can be.

Below is a picture of one of the engine housings with a 1/18 scale pilot figure:

Here are pictures of the Aces II Ejection Seat and pilot figure from my F-16 (the A-10 uses the same ejection seat). The other pictures are of the Ejection Seat in the cockpit tub that comes with the kit.

Overall the kit has a lot of potential to make a respectable 1/18 scale A-10 representation. There will definitely have to be more detail done in the engine area, cockpit area, and possibly landing gear area depending on what you are looking for. The engines will need a trubine fan in the front and an exhaust nozzle for the back. The cockpit will need a joystick and throttle quadrant. The landing gear come in a build up or down fashion. There is a kit you can buy to upgrade them to retractable if you are building it to fly.

There is also ordinance that comes with the kit for you to build and load it out with. All the plastic pieces like the ordinance are made from an almost paper thin plastic. All this is of course for keeping the weight down for those building it to fly.

I could see Pickel using this kit in two ways:

1. Creating upgrade kits in the areas I mentinoned above.

2. Using this kit as a templated to create a 1/18 scale A-10 in plastic/resin.

I don't know when I'll get to start building this kit, but I'll post pictures when I do. I plan on using this A-10 as a filler in my collection until someone hopefully gets the message and produces one in a 1/18 scale plastic form. I'm not giving up hope for that to happen one day.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

CW4USARMY

Re: Flying Styro A-10

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Very cool! Yes, that thin plastic Sheets of details takes the most time to cut, shape and put together. This one looks like a fun build, a quick coat of dull coat will look good. looking forward to the finished pics, but i know these take awhile so will be patient ;-) Still waiting on my Bf-110!

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:35 pm

Birddog,
Nice looking A-10! Who did you order it from?
Unfortunately I think we'll have to settle for these styro planes for now, no telling whats up with AllGo's / skyworks A-10. :?

CW4USARMY,
I'm interested in the Bf-110. Andrew had said it was closer to 1:13, let us know what you think when you get it.
The 110 and the He-162 are the two I'd like to have in 1:18.....plastic :wink: but at this point I'll take styrofoam. :|

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Will do! I'm hoping it arrives this week!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:13 pm

glad you like it BD. I have the GWS A-10...it's not nearly so fancy as the FSK but it's decent and only cost me $40. I'm not a huge A-10 fan like you so i am content with it. :)

You may find that, even if a true 1/18 A-10 comes out, you keep this one. It's nice and light for hanging and from a few feet away will look every bit as good as a plastic one i wager. The pastic one you could display on it's u/c for close up inspection.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

gburch
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gburch » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Is there someone in the states who sells these???

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:37 pm

My thoughts exactly Aferg. It is great for what it is but I'm still holding strong to faith we will see a 1/18 scale A-10 in plastic form some day from someone. I may hold out building this one until then so that I can build it to suit the way I want to display it. I know that may be a long time to wait though... :D

gburch, I don't know of anyone in the states that is selling this kit anymore. Every place that I looked it up was sold out. A place called Hobby Lobby, (not the big retail chain), used to carry them but they were around the same price that I paid for mine coming from overseas.

Here's a link to their website if you want to contact them. I tried to but didn't have any luck.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:17 pm

gburch wrote:Is there someone in the states who sells these???

I don't believe they are sold in the states at the moment. You can contact flying styro directly if you follow this thread. I appears as though they were sold and the new owner opened a thread on rc groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489608
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

Bar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bar » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:39 am

Very nice. Would anyone be interested in an A-10 as a vacform?
It would be a lot cheaper than a resin kit that's for sure.
E-mail(And MSN Messenger): [email protected]

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:54 pm

THat works pretty well for a 1/18 A10. WOuld look nice hanging up!!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett