Got tired of waiting for die-cast companies

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Got tired of waiting for die-cast companies

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm

So I decided to try my hands on 1/48 scale Aircraft model building. At a fraction of a cost, I literally have an unlimited amount of subject to choose from, even subjects that you'd never see done by a die-cast company in 1/48 scale or larger.

Like this old 1/48 Monogram B-29A (Work in progress)

Or its hunter, a 1/48 Japanese Ki-84 Hayate.

I wholly recommend for 1/48, 1/72 diecast collectors to give modeling a try. I got the Ki-84 for $8 and the B-29 for $28.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Got tired of waiting for die-cast companies

Post by ram04 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Some very nice work, I like to build models, just seems that time and skills are a factor :)

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 pm

B-29 in 1/48. That must be a big sucker. Looks great as well.

I think most of us are ex modelers, GooglyDoogly, but just don't have the time, skill, or patience to build these kits anymore. That is the attraction of diecast.

But if you are a decent modeler, lots more variety and selection available in kits.

Always interested in seeing kits built by members.

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:33 pm

snake wrote:B-29 in 1/48. That must be a big sucker. Looks great as well.

I think most of us are ex modelers, GooglyDoogly, but just don't have the time, skill, or patience to build these kits anymore. That is the attraction of diecast.

But if you are a decent modeler, lots more variety and selection available in kits.

You know for the last 6 years or so I have been into exclusively large scale models, 1/18, 1/16, even a 1/200 Yamato, but I saw something the other day that made me reconsider for a second....

Its in 1/32 so its sorta an ancient scale for me and usually avoid it like the plague, you know, its to big to do big stuff like the awsome B-29 like above (good job BTW :) ) and to small to do awsome fighters, I guess I got spoiled by 1/18....

Anyway yes it is in 1/32 but its big... 29" wingspan big...
Its a 1/32 Gotha Bomber from WWI
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3006
I may get one, even if it stands out like a sore thumb compared to my 1/18 stuff.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

i used to have one of those.....nice job. I used to have a 1/48 B-1 too....that was really big.

If you have the patience models are a great way to go. I don't anymore....plus the eyesight ain't what it used to be. The thought of masking and painting framing on canopies makes me shudder.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Jnewboy wrote:
snake wrote:B-29 in 1/48. That must be a big sucker. Looks great as well.

You know for the last 6 years or so I have been into exclusively large scale models, 1/18, 1/16, even a 1/200 Yamato, but I saw something the other day that made me reconsider for a second....

Its in 1/32 so its sorta an ancient scale for me and usually avoid it like the plague, you know, its to big to do big stuff like the awsome B-29 like above (good job BTW :) ) and to small to do awsome fighters, I guess I got spoiled by 1/18....

Anyway yes it is in 1/32 but its big... 29" wingspan big...
Its a 1/32 Gotha Bomber from WWI
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3006
I may get one, even if it stands out like a sore thumb compared to my 1/18 stuff.
That's a nice looking Frank KI-84 and B-29 GooglyDoogly.
I just saw that Superfortress kit at Hobby Lobby today. All models are 30% off. It's a tempting model.

Those Wingnut models are cool too Jnewboy.
Peter Jackson (yes that PJ) started that company being an avid fan of WWI aviation. I believe they are all in 1:32 and all WWI planes.

I'm waiting for the Wingscale 1:32 Flying Fortress though: http://store.spruebrothers.com/articles ... leB-17.htm
It's going to be humoungus!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks guys. Another reason I took up modeling is economics. I just got tired of paying $90-$150 or more for a diecast model with less detail on them, when I could build a better model with my sub-average skills for a quarter of the cost.

Also, here's my 1/350 Yamato.

A 1/48 F-22 Raptor
I love that particular plane so much, I'm building another one from a different company.

snake

Post by snake » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:18 pm

That Yamato looks very nice.

Good job. Just be careful dusting it. :lol: