How I fix broken props (and most other parts)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

How I fix broken props (and most other parts)

Post by acisne » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:53 pm

I just got a couple of used planes from a member here. They were used and packed very well, but one of the props was broken in transit or I broke it removing it off the box. I have been using this method to fix broken side mirrors and wheel stubs on diecast and some of you may be pros at doing this.

Here is what I use: A box of pins, a pen drill, glue and some clippers. I found the drill at Hobby Lobby and it comes with several size bits inside of it.

I drilled into the broken parts, push the pin into one of the with a drop of glue, cut the head of the pin and cut it to fit the hole on the other side.

Put glue on the other end of the pin and push it onto the other hole. I have not glued it in this picture, and this will require a little but of putty and paint, but the fix will be stronger than the original piece.

gliderdwm
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: How I fix broken props (and most other parts)

Post by gliderdwm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 pm

Great way to fix props Al.
Direct gluing never holds well. I need to get me one of those drills. I bought a set from Snap On Blue point but it is worn out. Time to make trip to Hobby Lobby

greendevil41
Corporal
Corporal

Post by greendevil41 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 am

I used the same basic technique with brass rod to fix the broken landing gear on my Me-262. The connecting link and the attachment point on the landing gear leg were broken somehow and it is a heavy plane to start with. Definitely much stronger now.

Snake Man
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Snake Man » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

I have used the same method using short pieces of appropriate diameters of aluminum welding rod as "bones". Works really well !!!

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:47 pm

I used the same method on a broken prop that one of my 21c Avengers arrived with. Works very well.

I need to get a new pin drill (now that I know what to call them). I had one for years until the bit broke... It was incredibly useful for all sorts of repair and custom projects.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 pm

tmanthegreat wrote:I used the same method on a broken prop that one of my 21c Avengers arrived with. Works very well.

I need to get a new pin drill (now that I know what to call them). I had one for years until the bit broke... It was incredibly useful for all sorts of repair and custom projects.
I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 am

I found myself having to use that method on a cia huey prop broken with the hub extension still in the blade. It seemed like a good deal on a return at a hilton head walmart- I didn't realize it was broken at the time. I used a brad/finishing nail and some good epoxy- the blade hang is comparable to the unbroken side and has held up for years- although I would not trust it to survive the shock of being removed from the hub

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:29 pm

This thread was a great find for me because I finally have been able to repair a P-47 and a Huey I bought a couple years ago. Just a couple small notes which may be useful for others. Some stores refer to a pin drill as a pin vise. I couldn't find one locally until I stumbled across the different term, at which point I found 3 options. I also had a bit of a difficult time finding cheap or even suitable pins. I ended up buying a box of paperclips for 75 cents and cutting them down. That being said it was relatively simple even for a complete novice like myself. Thanks again.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:22 am

Thanks for the instructions acisne :D

This will be most helpful as I have a broken prop on my Spitfire
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace