1/18 Carrier Deck Crew?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

1/18 Carrier Deck Crew?

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anybody ever custom made modern carrier deck crew? I was wondering what figure would be good to base crew off of. I know the deck crew wear helmets with goggles and headphones. I also know they have little gear other than a vest.
Thanks

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: 1/18 Carrier Deck Crew?

Post by granch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello,
I've made a simple trial with 21st Century 1/18 US Vietnam tank soldiers, which were less than 2$ at smalljoes.com. Repainted their vest, added silver decals and made helmets with ear noise protection, using air drying putty, and BBI goggles. I wanted to make picks from my F/A-18, using the same crew for some picks of my son's Corsair, all 1/18. So, it's more a compromise, not really modern. Unfortunately, the final photo is a miss, but you can have a look at the crew. I will try others when I find time and the right weather, but not in my garden: you can see the trees reflecting on the wet deck... at least, very far fom the real ambiance at see. I've read somewhere that JSI would perhaps make some flightdeck crew to go with their F-14, but when?

Rylau
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Rylau » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:59 pm

I just use the GI Joe Shipwreck figure for WWII.
Sgt. John Ray 12/8/67 Hill 172
99% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in traffic.
1% of Americans try to avoid getting caught in an ambush.
God Bless Our Troops.

Ferrari250GTO
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Ferrari250GTO » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:28 pm

They look awesome! When you get a chance, or when the weather gets a little better, could you post up a few close ups?
Yeh, they were supposed to make deck crew, but as with everything about JSI, who knows? We just have to make our own for now :|
Thanks again

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by YT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

I also would like to see more pictures of those figures.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:35 pm

So, here's what I've made. They look better when seen from far. Of course, if one of you guys makes a mold for such helmets, but a little bit more realistic, please pm me. As previously said, there is for now no more picks. I'm not living at a seaside, so, to make an installation for good picks, I have to go to the lake, but when it's a foggy day. Otherwise, you'll sea our swiss mountains, and there is no aircraft carrier here.

YT

Post by YT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for the pics, you have inspired me.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton