weathering???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

weathering???

Post by GI546 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:14 am

hey guys.

does anyone have any weathering tips that won't damage tamiya paints?

thx

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 am

The Tamiya paints (both acrylic and enamel) are pretty durable once they have dried and cured. I've had not problems with weathering on them. Now, the fun part is your stragegy for weathering. I'm only just getting into doing serious weathering on my models and other boardmembers could provide some more creative techniques. Nevertheless, this is what I often do:

-- Wipe on charcoal pastel or black or brown paint (using a little water) to simulate mud/grime/dust. One's finger or a cloth works well for this.

-- Dabb and streak brown paint using an old stiff brush to simulate mud streaks and scratches.

-- Dabb and streak a metalic colored paint (like aluminum or rust) using an old stiff brush to simulate paint scratches.

-- Realistically simulate mud by spreading putty in a mud-like pattern and then dabbing brown paint over it with a stiff brush.

Here are a couple pics of my completed 1:18 scale Pickelhaube SDK-222 on which I used all of the techniques I described above. The model was painted primairly with Tamiya German Gray (acrylic) and the weathering was done using Tamiya earth brown (acrylic).

I have since added a little more weathering in spots, given the model more dullcote to make it less shiny, and changed the numbers on the rear.

Again, this is not as elaborate as what other members are capable of, but it is a start!

Hope all this helps 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:02 am

OH you can do a salt weathering for desert!

You can hand paint chips..

Like these.. Here are my sneek peeks.. :roll: I suppose I have to show them..

You can also drybrush a lighter shade of a color on to highlight stuff to give it more Dimension :D!

Here are my latest WIPs.
I will not show the full overhaul on the panzer till it is done ;)

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Crazy Kraut
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Crazy Kraut » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 am

Hey flyboy,
this is looking as fine as the work from plasticfantastic. It seems you´ve learned fast and well. For me, unfortunately, I´ve to say I´m not so wheel trained. Is it possible that you describe your really fine work at the tank and 8.8?? Maybe it could help me and others for better weathering jobs.
Thanks in advance, best regards from Germany
Wir haben gehurt, gekämpft und gesoffen, des Führers Mühlen verbraucht, sind auf dem Zahnfleisch gekrochen, doch haben wir uns teuer verkauft.
JG300 Wilde Sau

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm

i WILL MAKE A VIDEO :D//

oops I hate caps lock.. :P
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett