Foam buildings?

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
rocky100370
Corporal
Corporal

Foam buildings?

Post by rocky100370 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 am

Does anyone know who makes 1:30 or 1:32 foam WWII buildings?

THANKS GUYS!

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Foam buildings?

Post by ostketten » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:35 am

rocky100370 wrote:Does anyone know who makes 1:30 or 1:32 foam WWII buildings?

THANKS GUYS!
See my post on the subject here... viewtopic.php?t=20526
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

HOWITZER RENOVATIONS
Private First Class
Private First Class

1:32 foam buildings

Post by HOWITZER RENOVATIONS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Hay there. Im new to the forum and saw your post. I'v been working with foam for about five years now and developed my style. I mainly do 1:18 and 1:6 scale stuff but also do alot of miniature gaming terrain as well.. what do you need help with? cutting/ carving? detail?

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 am

Welcome...all of the above.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

flyboy_fx

Re: 1:32 foam buildings

Post by flyboy_fx » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

HOWITZER RENOVATIONS wrote:Hay there. Im new to the forum and saw your post. I'v been working with foam for about five years now and developed my style. I mainly do 1:18 and 1:6 scale stuff but also do alot of miniature gaming terrain as well.. what do you need help with? cutting/ carving? detail?
I love foam! It is so nice for buildings! I use the blue foam and a heat gun! :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

HOWITZER RENOVATIONS
Private First Class
Private First Class

foam structures

Post by HOWITZER RENOVATIONS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:36 pm

I use the snap off type razor knifes (3 sizes of blades). Im pretty good at eye-ballin the scale but I use comm grade hard foam that come in 4x8 foot sheets. I get it ree from the local construction site. they always have stuff they have broken or trimmed off. its 3" thick. Im doing trenches for a Russian front table gamer in Dallas. his table is massive.. people come from all over to play..if youd like to see some samples let me know...thanks. Reuben

Black_Dragon_One

Re: foam structures

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:54 pm

HOWITZER RENOVATIONS wrote:I use the snap off type razor knifes (3 sizes of blades). Im pretty good at eye-ballin the scale but I use comm grade hard foam that come in 4x8 foot sheets. I get it ree from the local construction site. they always have stuff they have broken or trimmed off. its 3" thick. Im doing trenches for a Russian front table gamer in Dallas. his table is massive.. people come from all over to play..if youd like to see some samples let me know...thanks. Reuben

please post pic
whats up doc....

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 pm

Just picked up a good book on building well buildings.

From Model Railroader books, basic structure modeling for model railroaders. Covers kit building, kit-bashing and just making stuff from cardstock..just got it today, for a 2'x4' N scale switching railroad I am starting.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am

One of these days I would like to try my hand at scratch building some structures from foam, but in the meantime I have my eye on some of the urethane foam "Form-Tech" buildings from TSSD. I've bought a few of these before, and some of the more recent examples look very nice. They're not cheap, but they are far less expensive than comparably sized resin structures from BAR etc. While perhaps not impossible, I think it would be very difficult to carve something out of styrofoam with this kind of detail.....

Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 am

ostketten wrote:One of these days I would like to try my hand at scratch building some structures from foam, but in the meantime I have my eye on some of the urethane foam "Form-Tech" buildings from TSSD. I've bought a few of these before, and some of the more recent examples look very nice. They're not cheap, but they are far less expensive than comparably sized resin structures from BAR etc. While perhaps not impossible, I think it would be very difficult to carve something out of styrofoam with this kind of detail.....

Sounds like a challenge! I shal try my hand at this building in 1/18 :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:23 am

Sounds like a challenge! I shal try my hand at this building in 1/18
Well good luck.. 8) Unless you're Michelangelo or something though, I think it will be a real challenge to carve that kind of detail into a block of foam, although it will certainly be easier in 1/18 scale than it would be in 1/32.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:11 pm

ostketten wrote:One of these days I would like to try my hand at scratch building some structures from foam, but in the meantime I have my eye on some of the urethane foam "Form-Tech" buildings from TSSD. I've bought a few of these before, and some of the more recent examples look very nice. They're not cheap, but they are far less expensive than comparably sized resin structures from BAR etc. While perhaps not impossible, I think it would be very difficult to carve something out of styrofoam with this kind of detail.....

what is their scale range? Anything in 1/72 city buildings, western Europe or Italy by chance.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 pm

what is their scale range? Anything in 1/72 city buildings, western Europe or Italy by chance...
I believe they are marketed as 54mm-60mm compatible, and while they don't say so specifically, I get the impression they are trying to offer a lower cost alternative to the BAR stuff for people who collect the K&C, Conte, and ONTC figures etc., note the K&C Waffen SS machine gunner in the doorway... 8) I don't think they offer anything in 1/72, but I'm not certain about that... the site configuration is very outdated and tedious to navigate, but I'm providing a link below if you care to take a look. Many of the structures are billed as "compatible with different periods and regions", while some are intended for specific themes such as the Alamo. You can get unpainted versions of some as well, if you are inclined to paint and weather yourself. If you're after 1/72 exclusively, Miniature Building Authority makes some of the best "Poly Stone" type resin structures IMO, though all are pre-painted and quite pricey even when on sale, but the quality is top notch.

Main site: http://www.sdsoldiers.com/

Form Tech buildings: http://www.sdsoldiers.com/form%20tech%20wwii.htm

Miniature Building Authority: http://www.miniaturebuildingauthority.com/