JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:25 am

For those of you who may still be interested in those resin bombs and bomb racks, for the Tomcat. My friend recently had some surgery, everything went well for him. Hopefully he gets good news tomorrow and everything will be fine. He has recently changed his email, he can now be reached at [email protected]. He said he should be up and running by the middle of the week. Keep him in your thoughts, thanks.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:12 am

Finally something to show after all the prep work. Colors applied to some of the parts. Tails are FS36081 Euro 1 Grey ( Model Master spray can ) and, the rest of the parts are FS36375 Light Ghost Grey ( Tamiya spray can ). I decided to use the cans over my airbrush because I felt the parts were too big. This is the first time I've ever used spray cans for my models but, I must say that they worked beautifully. I swear by MM paints and use nothing else but, the Tamiya paint sprays so nice and it has such a fine pigment that you can't tell it was done with cans.
Some additional colors need to be applied to some of the parts then I can gloss coat them before weathering.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Decided to do a little modification to the end of the tail hook. Looks much better if you ask me, ready for primer and paint.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Here is a pic of the effect that I was going for.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

Working on the Resin nozzels while the rest of the other painted parts dry. I have to prime, gloss coat, weather then flat coat the inside before I can move on to the outside.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:43 am

AIM-9's, with fresh paint, will get some attention as well.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:12 am

Received my other 2 resin bomb racks and BDU-50's yesterday, thanks Ted. Marking the hole locations, for the bomb racks, on the forward pallets. Once they are installed I can get everything in primer and apply some color.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:41 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Bombs racks fitted to the forward pallets, bombs drilled and fitted to the racks, ready for some primer.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

.Image
Decided to do a little panel fastener detail work today on the Cat. It came with some but needed some more IMO. Hopefully when everything is painted you'll still be able to see it.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Close up shot showing the details added to the beaver tail section. I used a #67 drill bit in my pin vise. I also had to scribe in some panel lines.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:52 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm

I even added the 36 screw holes that go around the outer lip of the engine shroud. This area will be covered with a carbon fiber decal and then I can dab the holes with silver, to represent the screw heads. That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works.

Steve

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey Steve-

Keep up the great work, and please continue posting updates on your Tomcat. Your work is motivating me to finish the D model conversion that I have been working on here and there over the last few years. Been busy the last couple of years (new house, new job), but I'm looking for things to level off soon. Hoping to get in there and get the ol' bird together finally!

Your posts on this project have become the highlight of my visits to the forum, so keep 'em coming!

-Rob

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your kind words. So, your doing a D huh?? Your a much braver soul than me for attempting that. Would like to see your progress on that so far. Good luck with yours.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm

This shot of my VF-154 jet shows the lack of "panel fastener" details on the forward fuselage, especially around the gun bay doors and the muzzle blast fairing.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:07 pm

This shot of the VF-103 jet shows the added "panel fastener" details. I think these little subtle details make a big difference and look a lot better IMO.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:28 am

Got the other side of the jet finished with the "panel fastener" details, moving onto the main body now.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 am

Can anyone tell me what number build this is ? I know the were a total of 880 - 888 pieces made and roughly @ 500 - 550 made for North America. I just would like to know which one I have. The cardboard box it came in is long gone. Thanks for the help.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:49 am

Here is the GPS dome which was added to the Tomcats @ 2000, sorry for the quality of the picture it is a pic of the computer screen. I needed to add this to my Cat.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:50 am

This is what I used to recreate the GPS dome. It's an old toy missle from my sons toy. I keep a lot of stuff like this in my spares box, you never know when something like this will come in handy. I used my jewelers saw to cut off the very top of the part circled in red.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am

And here is the result, looks pretty good to me. I still need to add some "panel fastener" detail to the area and once everything is painted I think it will look just fine.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Here is the nasty gap that I have where the forward fuselage mates to the main body. I decided to make a shim out of .020" sheet plastic that I will attach to the forward fuselage. I was hoping to paint the main body separate from the front just to make things a little easier, we'll see. Once this is glued into place I'll test fit the parts together again and see where I go from there.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:59 pm

This is the shim I will be using. Hopefully I can get this seam to disappear when the front and main body are mated together. Anyway got pizza and some cold Molson Canadians calling my name right now. Enjoy your night everyone.

Steve