JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by rudedog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 am

recieved the lens this weekend thx

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:52 am

PM sent.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:52 am

I sanded and drilled out the tip of the AIM-9 to accept an MV lens, (light lenses for model trains) which will now serve as the "seeker head" for the missle. This will look more realistic than just painting the tip.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:55 am

These are the MV lenses that I'm using for the seeker heads. I had these in my stash box. I use these ALOT on my 1/48th model for landing lights but, sadly these are no longer available.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:02 am

Slowly getting all the pieces together for the "Bombcat" upgrade, thanks Janos ! Still lots to do but, things are coming along.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:04 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:11 am

Next up, modifying the aft end fuselage fairings. The B/D's had a more squared fairing than the rounded ones found on the A models. Still throwing around ideas on how to tackle this ........

Steve

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 pm

did you get all 4 bombs pizza guy made the holders for me so my b/k will carry all 4 bombs.hoping to find another set up for the spot cat missed out on the last set on ebay

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Someone ( who shall remain anonymous but, I can't thank them enough ) hooked me up big time !! They were willing to part with their Black Knight's bombs, pylons, Phoenix pallets and, LANTIRN pod. The bombs will require a little detail work and some paint and they'll be good to go. Maybe a little mod on the LANTIRN pod as well, we'll see.
I have a good friend of mine who is working on something special for me for the Cat. He is casting a few parts and we'll see how they come out. Once I get mine back from him, I'll post some photos. If there is enough interest in them, from you guys, he might consider producing / selling them. Stay tuned.

Steve

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:18 pm

sounds good can t waint to see what you are up to

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:05 am

This shot shows the aft end fuselage fairings after being reworked. What a difference and now it looks like a B model should. Have to get some primer on this area and check for any imperfections.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:21 am

Another view of the reworked area.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 am

I added some .020" sheet plastic to the inside edge of the tails. This gives the proper 5 degree outward cant that the Tomcat tails should have.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:29 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 am

Work on the big Cat has been slow lately, dealing with family issues. I'm getting parts ready for primer. I kept looking at the chin pod and wasn't really happy with it's plain look so, I deceided to add some fastener details. This shot is a BEFORE one and the second set of photos are AFTER adding the details. I am looking for feedback on this so, please comment. I used a #73 drill bit. I didn't want to go too small because primer and painting would have filled them in. I tried to go off of what was already on the jet from the factory. Do they look too large ?? I figured by the time I primed they would get filled in a little and become less obvious.
Now the issue becomes, where do I stop on the jet with this detail. This is a problem I have, I tend to try and do too much to my projects and I get frustrated and they don't get finished. Comments and suggestions are welcomed, thanks guys.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 am

BEFORE ......

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am

AFTER .....

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:30 am

I had to add some .010" sheet plastic to the tails, where they meet the forward fairings. I want to paint the tails seperately from the jet, to avoid that dry overspray area I'd get between the tails during painting.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 am

Everything sanded down and blended in. This will allow me tp paint the tails seperately and have a seamless fit when they are attached.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am

Up next, adding the air intake for the fuel vent on the left vertical tail's forward fairing.

Steve

Jwcarpenter
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jwcarpenter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 pm

This looks awesome, really like what you did with the tails and the 5% cant and the redesign of the back end GE engine farrings. I like the detail on the TCS pod. Keep up the great work, thank you for sharing it.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Air intake for the fuel vent sketched with pencil, here goes nothing.