JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:56 pm

Could you post a few shots of what you did ? I'll be using Model Master clears.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:20 pm

I'll give it a go...but it may take a couple of days.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm

For those of you who have repainted your Big Cat, a few questions:

Should I attach the forward section to the main body before painting or do it after ? How do these two line up once they are put together ? Are there any seams that will need to be filled and sanded before priming ?

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Tail stiffeners attached to the tails, FINALLY !! These are all made out of .010" plastic stock. I cut out all the pieces with a SHARP pair of scissors and an X-ACTO knife. The pics don't really show it but, the main stiffeners are 3 seperate pcs. laminated together. Once everything is primed, painted and a weather wash applied, all the detail with pop out.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:14 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Templates used for the tail stiffeners.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 am

This is a before shot of the cockpit of the F-14A. Since I'm converting mine to a B model, the rear instrument panel needs some attention. This would have been ALOT easier to do without the cockpit installed in the fuselage. I did not have the guts to tear this entire assembly apart. The area around the round bluish screen had some raised detail that needed to be removed in order to have a flat surface to attach the new screen. I fabricated a new panel out of .015" sheet plastic.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 pm

This shot shows the new panel tacked in place. Once it is painted black and the little details added it should look real good.
It's hard to see, sorry. When I preview all the shots on the computer, before posting them, I can zoom in and see the detail better. I wish there was a way to zoom in on shots already posted ??
Still need to add the RIO's control stick to the LH console and add the canopy jettison handles to the front and rear instrument panels. Soldiering on ......

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:53 am

Hard to get photos of this because it's small but, here is the chin pod with a new scratch built position light and lens for the TCS.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:54 am

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:36 am

looks killer how did you remove it and where did you get the lens can you make and sell this part. i would buy one.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm

I removed the red lens by slowly working around the edges and prying upwards. Then I made the new clear lens out of scrap clear plastic that I had in my model "spares bin". I ordered a hole punch set from a model supplier years ago. The disk is 3/8" in diameter. Once I had the disk punched out of the plastic I slowly sanded around the outside edges until it fit into the opening. Glued it in place and sanded it with different grits of sandpaper until it was crystal clear.

Steve

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm

did you have to cut the pod off or does it remove . could i buy a couple of lens from you? thx rudedog

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm

The pod was removed using a jewelers saw. Very thin, fine blade. How many lenses do you want ? I can punch them out but, it's up to you to get them to fit. You will have to do some sanding around the outside edges of the lens to get it to fit into the pod.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:31 am

Another view of the new clear lens installed in the TCS. Looks alot better than the red lens IMO, what was JSI thinking ??

Steve

rudedog
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by rudedog » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:35 am

3 would be fine sir and how much can i send you for them pm me please if i do not have to remove the pod i think i will be ok. thx rudedog

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Got a little something done today. This was scavenged from one of my sons broken toy jets ( a GI Joe F-22 ) sitting in the closet. Now it will seve as the RIO's control stick. I had to saw off the very top and spin it 90 degrees so the flat face was facing up. Some primer, black paint and a few color dots for certain buttons and it will be ready to install. Even though you really won't be able to see it, once the aircrew is installed and the canopy closed, at least I know it's in there and the B cockpit is done right.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Almost forgot, these showed up yesterday. After their helmets are custom painted they'll be ready for their office.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Started sanding seams on the main fuselage tonight. I'm not gonna lie, this part blows.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 pm

Here is the new " scratch-built " Programmable Tactical Information Display ( PTID ), which was a significant for the rear cockpit of the Bombcat. Came out well IMO and, was well worth the effort.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm

Another important upgrade for the Bombcat was the PTID stick. This is the RIO's control stick for the LANTRIN pod. Again, once the aircrew are installed and the canopy closed you 'll not be able to see much of these added details for the B model but, at least I know they are there and it's done correctly.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:32 am

These are the wing glove sealing plates that I made using .010" sheet plastic. I deceided to make them big so they were easier to work with. Once they are glued into place you'll only see about a 1/16" of the edge.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:34 am

Here are the wing glove sealing plates glued into place.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 am

Close up shot of the wing glove sealing plates installed with some added details.

Steve