JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:20 am

do not hesitate to post some pictures of your work in progress (I & we love that !)

super model !
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Carbon Fiber Engine Shrouds

Post by mcaulk » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:31 am

Have been studying the engine shrouds on several F-14B/D models and am not entirely pleased with the various shades of metallic grays and or blacks that guys are using. As I'm sure you know these fairings are not metal but unpainted carbon fiber.

Last night I stumbled upon a model car site that had several examples of decal film that looks very much like the real McCoy. I will include a pic of the real thing and a couple shots from a 1/48th scale Hasegawa f-16 configured to reflect an early Viper which employed carbon fiber Turkey Feathers.

This stuff comes in 1/48th, 1/12th, 1/20th and 1/24 scale. For cars the use is more pronounced and thus larger. On the Tomcat it should be subtle so maybe 1/48th is what we need. I will experiment and keep you posted.

Regards,

Mike

Image Image

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

More shrouds

Post by mcaulk » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Another overhead shot of the GE shrouds. This Cat has been sitting in a sun-bleached bone-yard for awhile and the carbon fiber looks bleached almost to a charcoal gray.

The 2nd pic is a shot of the carbon fiber decal made by Model Sports specifically for the 1/48th F-16 nozzles. I'm thinking this may look just about right on the big 1/18th cat engine.

If it looks crummy I will have learned something and saved you guys some frustration and a few bucks.

Regards,

Mike

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Looks good!
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

firefighterpilot1
Corporal
Corporal

Re: JSI Tomcat - Super Detailing???

Post by firefighterpilot1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:32 pm

No more updates? This thing is looking to be brilliant!

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:13 pm

I teach high school and the first month is usually pretty tough. This year due to lay-offs our class size is around 35-40plus kids and we are all having to teach multiple subjects meaning no free time. After a month I should get my Saturdays back and will make more progress on the big Cat. Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards,

Mike

SkyWorksToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SkyWorksToys » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:44 pm

I don't have to much free time and I did not see that before,but this is absolutely great work with proper research Mike ,I love what you did with my gear ,are they finished do you have pictures?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:37 pm

mcaulk wrote:I teach high school and the first month is usually pretty tough. This year due to lay-offs our class size is around 35-40plus kids and we are all having to teach multiple subjects meaning no free time. After a month I should get my Saturdays back and will make more progress on the big Cat. Thanks for the encouragement.

Regards,

Mike
You don't teach in NYC by any chance?

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:52 am

No, I'm in Ann Arbor Michigan... Go Blue!

Mike

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:14 pm

The goal was to spend Christmas break (high school teacher) working on the big cat but the gods had other ideas. My oldest son returned from the Persian Gulf last year after serving as one of the flight deck crew on the USS Eisenhower. He was a plane captain launching and recovering F/A-18s with the VFA-131 Wildcats. Back in the summer I had decided to do kit bash a 1/6th scale figure of him in that role. The project proved more time consuming than I had anticipated but I think the outcome was pretty good.

Regards,

Mike

I will include more pics in the ARC Display Case forum at:
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... pic=222646

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 am

Nice work!
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Looks great Mike!

"You have to go out, but you don't have to come back".

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 am

Mike, I've been following your build here as well as other forums, I have to say you do some amazing work !! You have inspired me to finally tackle my Spotcat. I want to do a VF-14 or VF-41 BOMBCAT, in flight, with mine. Problems are lack of decals and ordnance .... still, looking forward to this one.
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:41 pm

uys,

It has been awhile since did any work on the big cat. We lost 2 children in less than a month and I am just getting motivate to work at the hobby. Hope to finish the project this summer before school starts so here goes with a first installment.

Not quite finished with panel line and rivet detail but getting close.

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:43 pm

This shot highlights some of the panel line corrections and rivet enhancements. Threw in a 1/144 F-14A to show how big this thing really is!

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:44 pm

The engine shrouds on the B/D had a row of fasteners around the entire circumference. These appear to be some sort of silver/aluminum recessed screws so I have to drill out these points about 24 per engine. I'm thinking I'll probably punch some thick foil and insert these in the drilled holes. Will post the results good or bad.

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 pm

The stock JSI Tomcat comes as an A with the Pratt & Whitney engine nozzles. A now defunct after-market company made a fairly credible resin replacement for the GE F-110 nozzles. They however are not perfect.

They are to large and to straight. The real thing is more rounded so being the fanatic that I am I picked up a couple copies and modified them the old fashioned way... scraping, sanding. They came out pretty good but the final proof will be after they are painted. I will include a shot with the 2 compared for consideration.

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Looking great, mcaulk.

You certainly are going all out on the detailing.

Going to be fantastic when you are finished. 8)

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:16 am

Mike,
Sorry to hear of your loss. The Cat looks great, staying tuned.
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

pizzaguy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pizzaguy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Looking good. Nice to see you back. Do you plan on adding an egress ladder? I started working on one for mine and got side tracked. Something I could look into again?

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:52 am

Added some wing gasket detail using stock plastic.

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:53 am

Here's an overall view from above.

mcaulk
Corporal
Corporal

Post by mcaulk » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 am

The stock engine tubes are a tad small in diameter most noticeable where the nozzles meet the tubes. Rather than disassemble the monster and fabricate new ones I set about to find some acceptable work-a-round. The solution was in the kitchen cabinet... Crystal Light!

As it turns out the little cups that the mix comes in are pretty close to the nozzle size and they are molded with a double lip which helps minimize the step in size. Who knew.

This pic show the nozzle with and without the Crystal Light fix... although not perfect it certainly helps.

One final pic from above showing both nozzles tapped in place.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Looking really good Mike. Started on my VF-84 conversion to a B model this week. Scraping seams, filling and sanding. Following your conversion closely, you've got alot of great ideas and talent.

Steve

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by A-10LOADER » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Everyone knows what the JSI "spot cat" looks like so, I'll get right into it. One fuel tank down, one to go. Seams scraped,sanded,filled and, sanded again awaiting primer.

Steve