A question of sculpting medium

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

A question of sculpting medium

Post by Ruger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm

I thought I'd ask here if any of our resident customizers worked with acrylic, the sort that is used for artificial nails? My girlfriend is a nail tech, and as you might imagine, I'm a bit more familiar with the nail scene than most military collector, so you'd think that if anyone was going to be using nail products, it would be me. However... most of my skills in the customization arena are focused in the art of carefully adding, arranging, rearranging, and (yes) even removing stowage from the vehicles. I can also apply decals, but not well. Mind you, in no way does this mean that I"m not constantly thinking of great ideas, I just lack the artistic skills to pull them off.

The acrylic that she uses comes in two parts, a powder and a liquid. The two are mixed just prior to application, molded, shaped, or sculpted into the desired shape(s), and then cure into a hard finish. I know she can provide far more info as to how that part works, but I think you can get the overall idea. The finished product is hard, fairly strong, can be filed to different shapes and finishes. It adheres very well to plastics. It can be painted, or, in manners she could better explain, paint can be mixed with the liquid component prior to use to make the whole thing a different color. I know that different things can be mixed into the powder also, primarily glitter for her uses, but others could be used.

About the biggest downside I can think of is its lack of flexiblity, but I don't think that would be too big of a deal, as most of our models shouldn't be flexing much. Recently she's been using it to craft 3-D items for other than nail use, and they've been holding up quite well. She's used acrylic to add flowers to things like sunglasses and rings. She did some sunglasses a couple of years ago to try the idea out, and they've survived day-to-day use since. She's recently started to offer items on her Etsy, where you can kinda see examples of how the acrylic 3-D works.

It seems like it could really be used to great advantage by some of our skilled customizers, and I can certainly see how it would get overlooked as a medium by those not familiar with it. If anyone would like to try it, I could probably arrange for some samples of the product (not sure about shipping the liquid). And I might be able to get her to answer questions if anyone has them.

Let me know what you think.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: A question of sculpting medium

Post by Ruger » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:39 pm

So I guess I should take that as a no? I suppose I'll try it myself, if I get anything good, I'll post pics.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

Jay
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jay » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:28 am

Yeah, give it a go. Is this anything like the two part resin used for fibreglassing? Any idea how it compares to resin? I figure this would just be an alternative to resin?
"you get in a steep dive in this thing and you've got almost no maneuvarabilty at all. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the broad side of another barn"

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:14 am

I would also be interested in the results. I'm still looking for a way to do some kevlar helmets for my BBI soldiers.

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:46 am

I do very little sculpting. When I have to I use Bondo.

I also have used a 2 part " plastic " epoxy. It is kind of like putty. I used it to make my British style helmets.

I feel that your find may be to thin for my uses.

But thanks anyway for the tip. :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:24 am

Actually, head gear was the first thing that came to mind for me. Not helmets so much as turbans. I also thought it might make good Zimmerit, but that would really seem out of place on an Abrams. I'll try to post some better pics of it used for free form scuplting (if thats the right word for it).

MV

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Aves epoxy is really nice! Does not shrink and is hard as a rock!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm

flyboy_fx wrote:Aves epoxy is really nice! Does not shrink and is hard as a rock!
yes, it is the best, hands down