Repainting the JSI German Tanker

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Repainting the JSI German Tanker

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm

I was in need of a German tanker figure the other day, preferably not in a cammo smock. Given that the 21c German tanker figures in standard uniforms are near-impossible to find loose, I was in a bit of a bind...

Enter the JSI German tanker figure. Only problem is his coveralls are royal blue. Solution? A paintbrush, black paint, and a steady hand. I left the hat the stock color as it is close enough to be accurate, and painted around the uniform insignia. I don't think it came out too bad :wink:

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

B17Fortress
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Repainting the JSI German Tanker

Post by B17Fortress » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Looks good! How many coats did you do?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks! I just used one coat, mainly, though I did double in some spots. I used Tamiya acrylic black, though in retrospect I should have used flat black as the regular black had a bit too much gloss, so I sprayed the figure with dullcote to lessen the shine. For anyone that attempts this, you will want to wash the figure thoroughly with warm soap and water first before painting - mine was covered with a thin "oil" that made it almost impossible for paint to adhere. After washing and scrubbing, there was no problem.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Looks Great, I did the same thing afew times, then added some tiny red wires to that junction box in his middle from the headphones, then one wire down.

normandy

Post by normandy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:58 am

Tman, nice paint job on the on the tanker! I think Goering was the only one who had blue uniforms. :lol:
It looks like this JSI tanker figure is series 1.... the smaller figure and Jnewboys is the series 2...the larger larger, looks good as well!
It would have been nice if 21st sold these figures rather then the guys in the fall/winter uniforms. :?
Two very nice customs!!! keep up the good work!