XP-82 Project

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Divedevil
Private First Class
Private First Class

XP-82 Project

Post by Divedevil » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Hello,
I am working on a 1:1 scale XP-82 and want to build a 1:18 scale replica for the project director. I just purchased a scratch and dent p-51 from a member of this site. Anyone know where I can find another 21st century P-51? I need two, and prefer damaged ones due to the extensive mods they will receive.

Of course they would need to be from the same release as I believe 21st century changed the wing chord on the later releases.

Thanks,
Divedevil

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: XP-82 Project

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Divedevil wrote:Hello,
I am working on a 1:1 scale XP-82 and want to build a 1:18 scale replica for the project director. I just purchased a scratch and dent p-51 from a member of this site. Anyone know where I can find another 21st century P-51? I need two, and prefer damaged ones due to the extensive mods they will receive.

Of course they would need to be from the same release as I believe 21st century changed the wing chord on the later releases.

Thanks,
Divedevil
Hey Dare D.,

The cord is not an issue the F-82 cord is way bigger than the Mustangs. It is also strait on the leading edge and does not have thave additonal wedge at the wing root. But you are right you need to stick with 21st or BBI because the details are way different. Rivets panel lines and such. Your are looking at a serious custom here. Everything is different. The only thing that you will not alter will be the canopy. The later models changed even that.

I have some plans that I enlarged and after looking at them I moved the F-82 on the todo list before I die. :?
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1:1 ?

Post by supersonicfifi » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:45 am

Could you tell us more about the 1:1 project ? will it be a flyable one ? is it for air racing ? is it an historic plane or a replica ?

I can toyally imagine the video you could make for pilot & non-pilot in the right fuselage : it will look as you are flying a mustang ... ALONE :shock:

With some good angles with the cameras you can do really impresives shooting , even jokes : "look ! i do a loop with no hands !!!!" :lol:

I want to do it !!!!!!!!! after you can brag that the mustang is really like a big cessna 152 !!!!! :lol:
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:40 pm

you could make a model that superficially looks like the twin mustang from grafting two mustangs together but as pH said, otherwise there are no details the same on the p-51 and p-82. They just kinda look alike.

I almost grafted two S1 Mustangs together once, just to make a psuedo twin mustang for fun but never got around to it..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Divedevil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Divedevil » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:10 pm

OK....to answer the last three posts in order:

1. I thought there was an original and retooled release by 21st century of the P-51 specificly addressing the unrealistic wing cord on the first release. My impression is that the BBI release was more realistic in this aspect. Since 21st century is the more common P-51 I thought it would be easier to find a couple of unloved items for my project.

2. Notice I said XP-82 instead of F-82. This is an incredibly significant find. 44-83887 was the second prototype and, unlike the production variants, used Merlin engines. It was not built with any armament. The prototype was purchased by eccentric collecter Walter Soplata in the 50's and was preserved on his farm in Ohio until a few months ago when it was purchased by world reknown aircraft restorer Tom Reilly. The project is funded by an investment consortium for the intent to make this the only flyable XP/F-82 in the world. Work is well underway. Of course with such a significant history the intent is to keep the restoration as original as possible with the exception of replacement of original items for safer components...such as the propellers.

3. Very true....the 82 and 51 only resemble each other. It's closest 51 relative is the H model. It is longer, wider and has a totally different landing gear arrangement moved from the wing to the fuselage centerline just forward of the radiator inlet. Not to mention the counter-rotating propellors. But it is just for fun. If I wanted accurate I would go for a model...but I'm going for size.

Thanks for the interest. Since it is prohibited for me to solicit trading I will ask for the help of anyone that has suggestions on where I can locate a couple of donor Mustangs that I would purchase in advance before expecting any item in receipt. I really hate to purchase new ones for this purpose, but I will if I have to.

Thanks,
Mike

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:25 pm

hi
do you have website for the 1:1 project?
a friend of my dads flew F-82's in Korea an i have some paper work that maybe of interest to your rebuilders.
Phabulous Phantoms Phorever rule the sky
and Starfighters Rule the Stars

http://WWW.Panda-Hobby.COM

Rogue
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Rogue » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Not up to date on this P-82, but.......
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51regis ... 82887.html

There is a XP-82 thread on the WIX.