1/18 CUSTOM WWI GERMAN

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
flyboy_fx
Officer - Brigadier General

1/18 CUSTOM WWI GERMAN

Post by flyboy_fx » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:47 pm

heres my WWI german
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:59 pm

It looks pretty good. But you need to lower the spike. With the camo cover the spike sock was shorter. If you cut off the slender part on the neck of the spike and re attach it to the helm body it will look spot on. He also needs a gas mask canister . Early war when they did not were the covers he would have not worn one. But when they started wearing the covrs they were using ga. I think 21st makes them for there WW2 figs and they are real close in comparison.

It may not come out but here is a period pic showing the height of the spike. Officer spike were a lot taller but not near as tall a yours represents. Good job though.

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/jp ... an_yw1.jpg

If you look at my avatar that is an Off spike . The spike is tall but the neck is short. The duck bobbing on the screen is a em spike smaller in height but the neck is the same. I know a little something about WW1 spikes.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:24 am

I see what you are saying on the height of the spike, Pickel.
WOW!!! :shock: What a great job you did on this, flyboy_fx.
You should make him a trench to hunker down into until it's time to GO OVER THE TOP!
Thanks for sharing!
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
GREAT IDEA
:shock: :shock:
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

UPDATED HELMET

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:24 pm

HERES THE WWI MAUSER
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:25 pm

i made the rifle look cut up and the wood is all mest up
--Samuel Beckett

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:45 pm

flyboy_fx, what a great little custom. He looks really "battle worn".
I am no expert but didn't the troops unscrew the spike before placing the canvas "camo" cover over the helmet in combat. I'm sure pickelhaube will know.
Apart from historical photo's as reference, SIDESHOW TOYS had a 1/6 WWI series called "Bayonets + Barbwire". Do a google for pics of these figures. Should give you some ideas.
Once again great work customizing a WWI figure that would never be released by the major manufacturers.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Aslav wrote:flyboy_fx, what a great little custom. He looks really "battle worn".
I am no expert but didn't the troops unscrew the spike before placing the canvas "camo" cover over the helmet in combat. I'm sure pickelhaube will know.
Apart from historical photo's as reference, SIDESHOW TOYS had a 1/6 WWI series called "Bayonets + Barbwire". Do a google for pics of these figures. Should give you some ideas.
Once again great work customizing a WWI figure that would never be released by the major manufacturers.
hwen the war broke out in 1914 the Germans had brass trim on the pickelhelms silver for pioneers. As the war progressed the brass was a tad shiny to they incorporated the cloth covers to camoflage the shiny parts. In 1915 brass was needed more for bullet casings than helm furnature so they switched to tin steel and even iron for helm furnature. Also at this time the spike became removable for a couple of reason. One it would get caught up in things and also as a tale tell display of a trooper coming up to look over the parapet or trench wall. A sniper would see the spike wait untill he saw more of a head then get his shot off.

War tine pickelhaubes were made from old stores and the Germans did not throw anything away. Some helmets used brass and grey fittings were made of leather, steel tin and felt. When the cover wa used it matterd not what the helmet was made . Some well to do Officrs had a few spike helms one for the trenches one for walking out and one for formal parades. Tin or pot metal was used for Off. helms as wll. These were plated with gold/brass guilting and many pieces have lost this over the years and look like the EMs grey metal.

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Told ya pickelhaube would know. What a wealth of knowledge people on this forum have. Thanks.
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:48 pm

pickelhaube wrote: One it would get caught up in things and also as a tale tell display of a trooper coming up to look over the parapet or trench wall. A sniper would see the spike wait untill he saw more of a head then get his shot off.
I have also heard/read of a tale that usually the regiment number was painted in red on the camo covering.
A big red number was a prime target for Allied snipers/sharpshooters.
B/S/T Contacts : exether_mega, Fritzkrieg, granch (x3), Grilledcheese, trigger1 (x2), USCGMK2.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:37 pm

Aslav wrote:
pickelhaube wrote: One it would get caught up in things and also as a tale tell display of a trooper coming up to look over the parapet or trench wall. A sniper would see the spike wait untill he saw more of a head then get his shot off.
I have also heard/read of a tale that usually the regiment number was painted in red on the camo covering.
A big red number was a prime target for Allied snipers/sharpshooters.
Yes this is no tale at all. When the covers were first used the Regt. numbers were in red then they were swiched to green , broun and field grey. Then stoped totaly. Having the Rgt. numbers on the helms in red were used by snipers and just having the numbers on the covers shown the allies who was in the trenchs cross at the time and this was used to the fullest. Some Regt. were more aggressive than others some more passive. Raiding parties (used on both sides ) would do there thing and try to take avantage of the lesser aggressive ones.
They also had white covers used during winter and during manuvers. The covers were also issued without the spike stock altogether because it became standard practice to not use the spike at all. The spikes had a bayonet twist off attachment to take the spike off with ease. The earlier had split rivets that took a little work getting them off so they switched to the bayonet style.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:52 pm

yea my dads grampa fought in wwi for the germans. i have lots of photos from wwi. the most disturbing is.... no mans land. :cry:.... well lots of my relatives from his side were in the wars. my grampa ( which is no longer with us(never met him)) served in wwii. he was a b-17 top turret gunner, in the plane "heavens above", and i think one of our realities maned the 88's for the gemans and dhot up at the bombers.
--Samuel Beckett

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:54 pm

so dose mine look alright
--Samuel Beckett

Aslav
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Aslav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 pm

It's all about how happy you are with your customizing. If you think it looks good, go with it.
If you are going for historical accuracy, maybe modify the spike to closer represent the picture in pickelhaube's link.
All said, I think you have done a really good effort.

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:42 pm

ahhhh to pointy. i made the combat helmet spike
--Samuel Beckett