Custom painted 1:18 Aircraft TKO UPDATED 1/02 F-14 Vandy 1

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:13 am

The Mig and Stuka are sweet. I will be doing an all over tan of the G model I am working on as well. Nice job !!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

tko211
Fan Club President - All Go Toys

Post by tko211 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am

exether_mega wrote:Cool looking Stuka TKO :D

Now the repainting is pointing something out : why no 1:18 scale decals ?

I know John Stuff ones but only for Stuka. Why no decals for other planes ?

I know it's a small business but that woul be nice to have some. Just an idea...

phil
I have chosen to avoid using decals and instead wanted to use vinyl masks to paint directly on the plane.

I have used decals in past customs and was never fully happy. A few years later the decals apper to be getting worse. So I started doing this instead.

That being said I do need some help. Some of these future subjects I want to do will only be able to happen via decals. I need to know who out there makes the best decals. I can create all the art no problem at all. I need someone that makes a bright highquality custom decal sheet.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:13 am

tko211 wrote:
exether_mega wrote:Cool looking Stuka TKO :D

Now the repainting is pointing something out : why no 1:18 scale decals ?

I know John Stuff ones but only for Stuka. Why no decals for other planes ?

I know it's a small business but that woul be nice to have some. Just an idea...

phil
I have chosen to avoid using decals and instead wanted to use vinyl masks to paint directly on the plane.

I have used decals in past customs and was never fully happy. A few years later the decals apper to be getting worse. So I started doing this instead.

That being said I do need some help. Some of these future subjects I want to do will only be able to happen via decals. I need to know who out there makes the best decals. I can create all the art no problem at all. I need someone that makes a bright highquality custom decal sheet.
If you find someone, please let me know.. I have been looking for someone to print custom decals and everyone I have checked wants bookoo money just for one sheet. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:13 am

you can get away without a life preserver no problem for a DAK pilot. Many sorties were going nowhere near the water, so they wouldn't wear them, even though it was against regulations. Usually they would carry it with them in the plane, tucked away somewhere.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:21 am

hworth18 wrote:
tko211 wrote: I have chosen to avoid using decals and instead wanted to use vinyl masks to paint directly on the plane.

If you find someone, please let me know.. I have been looking for someone to print custom decals and everyone I have checked wants bookoo money just for one sheet. :?
Same for me.

phil

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:29 am

Have you guys asked Jackson on the board? It does the best quality decals.

olifant

Post by olifant » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:43 am

TKO, you have some skills man! Each plane gets better and better! Keep 'em coming! :D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 am

No I haven't. I have not paid too much attention to who does what in the decal realm as I never thought I needed it. Some of the schemes I have planned simply can't be done doing vinyl cut stencils and direct paint. But I need them to be far better decal than my lame attempt and figuring it out myself. Mine SUCKED!

How can I reach Jackson? Other than making a new post hoping that he sees it and answers? Do you have his contact info or something so I can PM him? Thanks for the help. My F-86 & Spitfire need some decal help and I suspect others in the future.

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:48 am

olifant wrote:TKO, you have some skills man! Each plane gets better and better! Keep 'em coming! :D
Thanks my friend! The comments from you guys help keep gas in my creative tank. This project is less than halfway and I was loosing steam. sharing them has helped me see it through and given me new inspiration.

I will shoot the Starfighter next I think, and then the 262.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:06 am

Hey 21 ,
This is the most you have ever posted in a 3 day span. Are you sick? Have you been away from XD and need the brotherly nurturing that this forum gives ? Or are you setting us up for something big ? Good or bad ? Do I ask too many questions ? Does Santa make XD or are they really make them in China ?

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

You make a good point. Unfortunately My more recent involvement is not due to news good or bad. I have been lurking for a while now but didn't have anything to contribute. I also noticed that due to the EXTREME lack of new products the topics were not as much fun and anticipation seemed at an all time low.

That was what spurred my drive to do this custom set of planes. I was bored but not of this hobby. I wanted more planes but none were being made. So I tool maters into my own hands. It was fun for a while but I realized that I missed the forum aspect, so I decided to share my project.

My door is always open to 21C and I feel that we might get more news sometime soon. For now its the waiting game.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:36 pm

what color paint/maker did you use on the Stuka? Did you lighten it any?

great looking bird. looking at tan for the color of a '43 Storch in 1/35 for a project sitting in the stack.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

tko211

Post by tko211 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Panzer_M wrote:what color paint/maker did you use on the Stuka? Did you lighten it any?

great looking bird. looking at tan for the color of a '43 Storch in 1/35 for a project sitting in the stack.
I used Tamiya spray paint. The color is light sand and I didn't do anything special. I normally use testors model master afrika mustard for dak stuff but this time around I wanted it to be just a bit lighter in color.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 pm

ok, I know what can that is,
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:30 pm

More pics man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tko211

Post by tko211 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Ok here is my Starfighter custom project. Thought long and hard about this one and ended up doing a USAF 1959 Flight Test Center scheme with day glo orange markings. for this custom I did much the same as the others, masking off markings and applying new paint.

There were 5 different colors of metallic paints used for the fuselage. All Tamiya paints. The markings were once again vinyl cut stencils that were stuck in place and then painted on an the masks removed. Not the most loved scheme by far but I just LOVE the bright orange on this bird.

This used to be the candy cane stripe / silver F104c. Nothing that some light sanding, and a fresh primer coat couldn't fix.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Oh man, what great work.
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 pm

Very nice job on the Starfighter and all of the rest. You got me working on another custom of my own now.

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:09 am

WOW that is great work. Show us the 262...please.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by 75th Ranger » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm

Really great stuff Zach!
I'm glad that you are customizing and posting!!!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:07 am

Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:10 am

Great job with that F-104, TKO! That is a scheme 21c should have gone with over either the "Tiger Meet" or "Really George" planes, IMHO. It is plain, but flashy, and quite historically significant as the F-104 was obviously used extensively for flight research :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

immeww2

Post by immeww2 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am

Great work!

pokeyjtc
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pokeyjtc » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Just curious, but what exactly is a vinyl plotter? It sounds like a tool I need since I prefer to paint on most of the markings on my customs, as opposed to doing decals. I do make decals, but I like paint better since it doesn't degrade over time like decals. I've been enlarging 1/48 decals and then tracing them onto masking tape and cutting them out to make stencils.

tosborne3
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by tosborne3 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:52 pm

WOW!!!! :shock: In the words of the late great Bernie Mac, "Nice....real niiiccceee." Great looking collection.
"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots."V.I.N.C.E.N.T. (Tbh)