electrical help needed....please respond

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

electrical help needed....please respond

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:01 pm

I'm working on my sherman crab (so not off topic) and have hooked up a little tiny wire to an eye hole on the electric motor i'm using. It's in an awkward spot, so wrapping electrical tape around the wire is not possible but i need to both insulate it and keep it from getting pulled off.

So my question is: is there any type of glue i can smother this little wire with that will not break the electrical connection? Glue would be perfect because i can put a drop right where i want it and it will keep the wire in place and protect it.

I was thinking maybe a drop of epoxy or white glue might work?

Help!
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Stug45 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:08 pm

The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:09 pm

The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:33 pm

thanks but that's for connecting to metal things in a conductive way, like solder. The wire is already connected to the eyehole and i just want to coat it with something to keep in there. I'm sure epoxy will work, no?

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:46 pm

aferguson wrote:thanks but that's for connecting to metal things in a conductive way, like solder. The wire is already connected to the eyehole and i just want to coat it with something to keep in there. I'm sure epoxy will work, no?
Put a tiny piece of masking or duct tape on it then use CA to hold that down.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

scudruner
Corporal
Corporal

shrink tubing has worked for me

Post by scudruner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:06 pm

you can get virtually any size shrink tubing that slips over the wire and then use a hair dryer to shrink wrap it to make a nice secure insulated wire.i have used this on many minute little electonic jobs in the aircraft field prior to retiring. hope this helps. should be able to pick up at ant electrical supply house .
regards&later scudrunner
BANDITS/TALYHO

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:59 pm

i wont' be able to get tubing over it at this point but you gave me an idea. I have some covering for r/c aircraft. It shrinks when heated. I'll just wrap a bit around the wire/eyehole and then heat it with a hair dryer....then coat the outside with a drop of krazy glue.

:)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 pm

i can use epoxy. From wikipedia:

Epoxy resin formulations are important in the electronics industry, and are employed in motors, generators, transformers, switchgear, bushings, and insulators. Epoxy resins are excellent electrical insulators and protect electrical components from short circuiting, dust and moisture. In the electronics industry epoxy resins are the primary resin used in overmolding integrated circuits, transistors and hybrid circuits, and making printed circuit boards. The largest volume type of circuit board — an "FR-4 board" — is a sandwich of layers of glass cloth bonded into a composite by an epoxy resin. Epoxy resins are used to bond copper foil to circuit board substrates, and are a component of the solder mask on many circuit boards...

Goody.....that's the easiest way to go. :)

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Hot glue. I swear. It will insulate, and I'm guessing you're running at either 9V or 12V and the amperage isn't enough from a small battery to generate the heat to melt the glue in any quantity. I've used it before in projects. It also absorbs shock while holding the connection. I've used it to hold a 3x1.5V battery, 3 LED, and switch setup inside of a skateboard riser for headlights. Held the current and you won't get shocked, but it couldn't hold up to the vibrations from street cracks.

Epoxy, might be viable. Just make sure it's not a metal epoxy as it could be conductive and could short your circuit.

Try hot glue. If anyone disagrees, I accept your opinion but I've used it several times with low voltage/amperage with no problems. :)
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I re-read what you had to do, I now see what you mean. Try and use solder. I belive epoxy will work. Just make sure it IS conductive. Hot glue can do it but there is the chance it will work loose inside, and work between the contacts. I had thought you had a connection that needed insulation from surrounding metal. Sorry about the mix-up.

If you can, soldering will be your best alternative. You'll want flux for something this minute. It helps stick the solder to the surface. You can get a soldering iron for < $10 many places. It has a lot of use, in the long term.
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 am

i don't think i want the epoxy to be conductive. The wire is slotted though a little metal loop on the motor and then wrapped and twisted around the loop. So there is a good connecton. So basically now i want to cover it with something to hold it in place and protect it. What would be ideal is to wrap rubber around it. I was going to use electrical tape but i can't get in there and the amount of tape i would be able to use probably wouldn't stay on very long and would just peel off.

So, i decided to coat it in epoxy. The epoxy is non conductive and will be like wrapping the wire/loop combo in plastic. I'm not gluing the wire to the motor with epoxy, i'm covering the connection i have made with epoxy. The epoxy should be too thick to seep in between the wire and motor, so it shouldn't break the connection.

KWR190
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by KWR190 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:29 am

You can also use Liquid electrical tape.

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by jeffrowse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:10 am

You really should solder it first. It won't take much, and you will make sure that you won't lose the power which you could do if you just coat it in glue or epoxy - no matter how tight you think the wire is twisted on, if any insulator gets between the wire and the motor eye you will lose the connection. And once you have gunked it all up, it'll be too late to fix it. :evil:

And don't forget that the chances of it going wrong are directly proportional to your desire to make it work... :wink:

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:02 pm

Soldering is the best bet. Especially because there's going to be a lot of vibration, which can easily cause a disconection from the contacts. I usually work with high voltage, and home electronics, but I do play with small stuff. Soldering is always good. If you don't know how, it will save you money and will solve problems in the long run. I've fixed guitars, stereo equipment, speakers and such so many times with my cheap soldering iron. The connection is solid, so sound/video/power is better as well. Not by much, but vibration can cause loosening of the connection and that sucks.

Go to instructables.com and search soldering. :)
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M

jeffrowse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Good, good, good, good vi-ber-ations...? (ooh noo...)

Post by jeffrowse » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Just a thought, but could you get silicon rubber in there rather than epoxy resin? You mentioning vibrations made me realise that a solid resin might break apart from the vibration - it may not seem like there's much, but there could be enough to make it crack and flake over time...

If you use silicon rubber (available from craft shops like Michael's, DIY or plumber's stores, and other places) you shouldn't need to worry as it stays flexible (but - if you use it - make sure it only goes where you want as it can be a right pain to get off anywhere else when dry - especially clothes! :evil: )
My wife uses it for scrapbooking and making greetings cards and gets three 6" tubes for £2.50 from our local dollar store-type place; much cheaper than craft shops! The tubes come with about 1.5"-long coned nozzles that you cut off to get the size hole you want; she uses a pin or to block up the hole and stop it drying out...

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/disp ... Num=gc0274

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 am

well.....after all this i just ended up using a bit of electrical tape and then coated it with krazy glue. It was an ugly mess but works and will be hidden by the rotor so i guess it doesn't matter. Hopefully it will hold up over time.

Thanks for the responses all..

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:53 am

aferguson wrote:well.....after all this i just ended up using a bit of electrical tape and then coated it with krazy glue. It was an ugly mess but works and will be hidden by the rotor so i guess it doesn't matter. Hopefully it will hold up over time.

Thanks for the responses all..
Stick with me baby. I will not let you down. :wink:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller