1/18 Tiger Zimmerite

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
C-7A Caribou
Corporal
Corporal

1/18 Tiger Zimmerite

Post by C-7A Caribou » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:08 pm

I want to put zimmerite on my 1/18 Tiger, and I know there was at least two different people on the forum that did it. One used putty and I think a screwdriver, the other an engraver. Can anyone give me some ideas, or especially how-to pics? I've looked through all nine pages of the customs & mods, but just can't find those two customs. Also, what would be a correct Normandy/Zimmerite scheme for the tiger? Thanks for any help.

C-7A Caribou
Corporal
Corporal

Post by C-7A Caribou » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:28 pm

Well I found one of the how-to customs from Problemchilds Sturmtiger, and am in the process of Zimmeriting the Tiger. Not sure how i missed the pics, because I searched through that topic about four times. :oops: :? ?
I still need some good pics of a Normandy Tiger with Zimmerit. I have searched a lot of original pictures, but they're all black and white.

chunks
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by chunks » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:45 pm

You can try this forum, I've found it helpful.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/
Tanks for the memories
Your breachblocks so black
And oodles of track
Here at Grafenwoehr it's so good to be back
Oh, tanks for the memories..

pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by pickelhaube » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:40 pm

There is an easier way to zimmermit. Use ceramic tile mastic. The multi purpose type. Spread it on put ridges using saw tooth screw driver what ever. You have about one hour working time . If it skims over wash it off and start again. You need to use acrylic paint because the mastic is acrylic. It is the easiest method on the planet. :D I have beed using this method for years. IT WORKS :!: :!: :!: :!:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

problemchild
Corporal
Corporal

Post by problemchild » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:26 pm

All I can say is try the method I use, practice on a piece of plastic first you can do one side in about 10min and it's easy to fake battle damage using this method.In my opion puttys are just a little to messy for my taste but thats just me.One thing you have to watch is just don't push to hard and don't let it heat up alot once you practice a bit you will see what I mean please post pics would love to see finished piece.Here is pics of winter tiger I did using this method for zimerite.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:46 am

Problem child your was is good. :D But it takes practice and skill. :shock: The mastic dose not :wink: It is easy :D :D :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

C-7A Caribou
Corporal
Corporal

Post by C-7A Caribou » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:31 pm

Well I decided to use the engraver method, mostly because I already had the engraver, and I had already started before I learned of the other method. It worked pretty well. Some of the rows got uneven, but after I saw a picture of a Tiger in Normandy with wavy Zimmerit, I felt better. Go to my website for pictures. I still need to touch up some of the hard to reach areas such as next to the headlight, and places on the rear. Not sure how I will do that. Problemchild?
Anyone have some good normandy paint schemes?
Image (wavy zimmerit)

Timbo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Timbo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:01 pm

http://www.alanhamby.com/tiger.html

http://www.zimmerit.com/main/pagineweb/ ... it-ing.htm

I used Aves Apoxy Sculpt on my 1/6 Tiger I. It is the product of choice for most 1/6th armor guys.

Last edited by Timbo on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

7thva_hunter
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by 7thva_hunter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Nice I tryed it with my woodbruner
XD aholic