Swamp Fox

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Swamp Fox

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm

G'day All

After some very kind assistance from Tejay Beauparlant a photo and Flight Sim' fan who I contacted re some reference material for the 157th ANG here is my latest piece of F16 artwork.

This has been mocked up along with some F16 panels artwork just so see how it compares with the real deal.

SPUD

Something's up with photobucket?????

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Spud,

Are you planning on producing any South Carolina ANG decals for the Viper? If so, please let me know, I would like to put my name on the list.

Thanks!

-Rob

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:14 am

G'day USCGSARdog

Yes the intention is to do a full tail marking set for the 157th SC ANG which will also include the above Swamp Fox logo that is located on the fuselage sides as well.

I have was informed yesterday that my F16 has been posted and is now on its way down under, so with any luck sometime in the next 10 days or so I will have my own F16 to assist in the final scaling process.

I also purchased a book yesterday entitled "UASF COLORS & MARKINGS IN THE 1990s" by Dana Bell. So I now have an excellent reference especially where tail codes and serials are concerned.

As such I have already made up a set of 1:1 masters for all alpha and numeric digits use for F16 tail codes/serials which can now be scaled back down to 1/18th scale for use on the decal sheets.
SPUD

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:07 am

Spud,

Outstanding! Keep me posted on your progress, and if I can help with any reference material let me know.

-Rob

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:39 pm

G'day USCGSARdog

.......Keep me posted on your progress

You asked for it, well I been burn both ends of the candle as usual, I started to work on the Swamp Fox banner script at about 19:00 and put the mouse to bed at around 00:45 (this would not have been so bad except I need to get up at 05:45 to go to work).

Anywhooo now that what should be hardest part of the artwork for this unit is finished with, I can give a preview of the results.

The content of the 157th's sheet will be one of the easier to template out as it would appear that all the serials on the fins a simple small black US standard letters in short this means that I may be able to get all the serials for every plane of this unit onto the decal sheet.

As to reference material, as I say you can never have too many references. If you have any clear side on shots of the tails this would be helpful for confirming that the stretch of the lettering correct as I only had semi-oblique images to work from.

Bare in mind that these previews are still non scaled artwork with a way to go before the are ready for printing and I am simultaneously working on artwork for the 175th ANG and the 52nd TFW as well, but sleep is just so over rated anyway.
SPUD

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:29 pm

G'day All

Contrary to my first assumption of "serials on the fins a simple small black US standard letters" I have since learned this to be incorrect and it is only aircraft 92-3916 that has these small 1 inch tall serials.

This is due to aircraft 92-3916 having the squadron ID of 157TH instead of its standard serials.

So until I get to laying out the decal template I will not know exactly how many of the 20 or so serials for this unit I will be able to include.
SPUD

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:00 pm

Lookin' good Spud!

If you think it would help, I could try to arrange a visit to McEntire ANGS and photograph a few of their Vipers. Its about a six hour trip each way but these miserable winter weekends we have coming up soon will provide plenty of opportunities for me to make the run.

While I'm down that way, would there be any interest in decals for any of the 20th FW squadrons? (55th FS, 77thFS, and 79th FS) They are just up the road at Shaw AFB, I would be happy to try to stop in there as well.

-Rob

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:00 am

G'day USCGSARdog

Although I have almost completed the basic design work for this unit, any clear, low-distortion, high resolution side on shot of any F16 tail would be an excellent help to make certain that my artwork is as accurate as possible.

However that seems like a bit of road trip just for doing that, or are you a bit like me any in that any excuse to hang around aeroplanes is a good excuse!

Anyway below is one of my F16 tail shots and should give an idea of the kind of clear, angle free and low distortion shot I prefer to work with, baring in mind this examples resolution has been greatly reduced from the original for posting here. I'm also thinking of doing artwork for this Japanese based USAFPAC unit.

SPUD

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:12 am

Spud,

You are corrrect sir, give me an excuse and I'll hang around planes all day long. :lol:

I'm going to get in touch with the PA office at Mc Entire to see what I can work out. I'll keep you posted.

-Rob

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:53 am

G'day Rob

Then you are truly a man after my own heart, unfortunately most of the RAAF heavy metal is stationed far to the north and there is little public access bar the odd once in every 3 years airshow.

I’ll await your report.

-David
SPUD

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:27 pm

G'day All

Here is a Lo-res Jpeg mock up of the Swamp decal sheet I've just posted of to John.

It was all a bit of a squeeze but I wanted to have both the Hi-vis and Lo-vis versions on the same sheet along with enough numbers to create any aircraft currently with this unit.

SPUD

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Spud,

Man, you work fast! I was working out a trip to Mc Entire right after we got through the holidays, but you beat me to it! By the looks of the new decal sheet, I don't think you needed any more references anyway. They look great!!! Let me know when these will be available for purchase. I have a blank Viper just waiting for a nice set of markings!

Happy Holidays!

-Rob

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:24 pm

G'day USCGSARdog

Thankyou for your comments.

Yes as you can see I was able to work most thinks out from photo searches of the net, however there is one thing I still do need to confirm ad that is the hightlight colour of Hi-Vis markings at the moment I have assumed this to be white but as the reference shots I was working from had no colour information it may also be that it could have been light grey.

So if your up for it, I was wondering if you can do me a favour and possibly call the unit and find that last bit of information for me. I'd do it myself but finding the right contact number and calling all the way from down here in Oz would take a bit of an effort.
SPUD

VMF115
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by VMF115 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:20 am

G'day Spud,
You have a natural talent for the small details Your attention to detail is great assist to this forum, If they’re where medals to be given out I would recommend you for one.

patrick
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:58 am

Patrick thanks for your suppot and comments.

Sometimes that attention to detail can be a curse, I can always see room fore improvement even on what I consider some of my best work, I find it very difficult to just settle for close enough even if the detail is so small that only I will know it may not be 100% correct that knowledge just eats at me. If I do find a clearer reference I will quite often scrap what I've done and go back to square one and start over.

That is why I try and get as much info as my budget and time allows, I burn far more time researching than I actually do drawing, but when it comes to drawing when I'm in the zone I can draw for hours and not even notice its gone three in the morning!

Thanks again and there is more F16 related material to come.
SPUD

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:11 am

Spudkopf wrote:Patrick thanks for your suppot and comments.

Sometimes that attention to detail can be a curse, I can always see room fore improvement even on what I consider some of my best work, I find it very difficult to just settle for close enough even if the detail is so small that only I will know it may not be 100% correct that knowledge just eats at me.
That’s how I feel about my 1:18 aircraft most of them at least. I am learning to make small customs and hope to be able to make large ones down the road.

About the missing time I know what you mean I can get started on a mod and then before you know it 6 hours have past…I must have been abducted by UFO’s lol
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:28 pm

G'day All

I was away this weekend so this is the first chance that I have had to let you know that there are currently three F16 decal set designs on offer at the John's Stuff site.

These are:
175th FS S.D. ANG (LOBOS)
157th FS S.C. ANG (SWAMP FOX)
52nd FW Spangdahlem AB, Germany (Part 1 Current)

http://www.johns-stuff.com/pages/decals/F16.html

I am also currently working on part 2 of the 52nd FW Spangdahlem AB, Germany decals and this set will cover the 80s and 90s.
SPUD

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Life in the Low Country !

Post by MiG29K » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Hey Spud,

Given that I myself, am a former South Carolinian and If I had known that BadCat was only doing the ANG as limited Release, I would have gotten the Shaw AFB Squadron Decals instead of the Indiana Squadron (Or bought a second plane). Looks like I may have to hook myself up with your work from John. FLAWLESS man! Are you a graphic designer as well? Do you use Corel?

Rob Number Two.
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:00 am

G'day Rob

Good to hear from you again, sorry for the tardy response but I've been away for a few days and there was no electricity let alone mobile access where I was.

I'm glad you like the results are you still intending to scratch build a second tail?

To be precise I'm classed as a technical desktop publisher/illustrator (however I think that is just so they can pay me less :wink:).

My weapon of choice is Illustrator but some of my first serious vector work was done in Corel.
SPUD

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:18 am

Spudkopf wrote:G'day Rob

Good to hear from you again, sorry for the tardy response but I've been away for a few days and there was no electricity let alone mobile access where I was.

I'm glad you like the results are you still intending to scratch build a second tail?

To be precise I'm classed as a technical desktop publisher/illustrator (however I think that is just so they can pay me less :wink:).

My weapon of choice is Illustrator but some of my first serious vector work was done in Corel.
I think that scratchbuilding another tail wouldn't be a prob so I think I'll do it. I'll take what I learned from making those F-16 Pylons. I have Corel and thats what I used for the Hornet Decals. Totally good to hear from you again. Catch up with you later.

PS. Whats the story on the loss of power? Storms? We went thru that in Dec and Jan ove here.

Spudkopf
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Spudkopf » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:54 am

G'day Rob

Regarding the lack of power, what I meant by this was that I have spent the last few days trekking with my brother-in-law in some national parks that are located in the remote desert country in the north-west of my state and there was simply no power available, there was also no digital mobile (cell phone) access, no electricity, no flushing toilets and no internet, we also had to cart and then carry our own drinking water as there was only non drinkable tank water available at these parks. I only got my first digit mobile access in 3 days yesterday afternoon while transiting between two of the parks. The total road component of the trip was 1100 plus km’s and we walked something like 40 to 50 km’s as well, all on very little sleep.

I look forward to seeing your tail, because if your other work is anything to go by then I sure it will be also excellent, you need to find a way to mass produce your additions as I sure there is a ready market for such things, I known that I’m keen.
SPUD

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by MiG29K » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 pm

Cool deal. I'll show you what I come up with. After this one other project I'm going to do exploratory work on this airframe for the Izdeliye 9.12 / 9.41. A lot of complex curves to negotiate. Definitely a Pass/Fail here.

R