Calling for hints/tips on detailing a BBI 1/18 AH-64 Longbow

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Calling for hints/tips on detailing a BBI 1/18 AH-64 Longbow

Post by mutt71 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm

I will be ordering one of the Pickelhaube Longbow Radomes, for the beginning of this conversion/detailing of the AH-64. I know that there must be a lot of details that can be added to this but don't really know where to start. I have looked at photos and have seen antennas, sensors, etc. I figured I would ask here, as there is soo much knowledge here on this board. Thank you all in advance for any advice/suggestions.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Calling for hints/tips on detailing a BBI 1/18 AH-64 Lon

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:04 pm

I’m not an Apache helicopter expert by a long shot, but the BBI Apache (which is an AH-64A variant) has a number of accuracy issues, some of which are more easily corrected than others... First, the swashplate and pushrods on the BBI Apache are in the wrong position atop the rotor blades. The part needs to be removed and placed under the blades. Second, BBI designed their Apache’s canopy to open on the left side, when it should open on the right side. Oddly enough, BBI still detailed the door hinges on the right side of the canopy framing :roll: This part can’t really be modified without either destroying the canopy or completely rebuilding it. Lastly, the foreword fuselage of the AH-64D Apache Longbow differs from the A model variant, namely in that the bulges alongside the cockpit extend further back on the AH-64D than on the A. Replicating this accurately would require a significant rebuilding of the BBI model’s fuselage. There are also other antennas and such, but I’m not as familiar with all the differences...

Point in short, you can attach Puckelhaube’s radome to the BBI Apache and make a passable Longbow variant, but to really make it closer to 100% accurate will require some significant rebuilding of the fuselage, canopy, etc.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:26 pm

Tman, I really appreciate your information on this. I am NO authority on this by any means and am very happy to have anyone in the "Know" of these A/C to point me in the right direction. I had no idea about the differences between the 64A and the D Longbow. I did know about the wrong side of the cockpit that the doors are on, I want to correct it, but to be honest, I think I would be better off to pass on that as well as the other major surgeries that you cited. I have taken the part on the rotor and glued it under, as opposed to on top of the mast. That was an easy one for me to do.
I have been searching the net to find Apache Longbow builds of various scales that others have done, to see what they added and how they did them. I got some great ideas on some sensors to add and other small details as well. I really want to add the IR (?) redish/gold colored sensor that is mounted on top of the circular area behind the Main Rotor mast. I just need to find something that is approximate to use to make this part. (I am very open to any idea on that, if you have any!) I am sure that there are many other details that I might be able to add, that I haven't seen/heard of yet. Matthew's Radome is the one detail that I can NOT do without. I would like to do a repaint, but, that is something that I am not real comfortable with, as my eyesight and abilities are fading fast. Decals are another thing that I would like to change, but, like my painting skills are lacking.

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm

tman, I have purchased another BBI Apache for parts and am thinking of tackling some, if not all of the changes needed.
Seeing how I have two complete canopies, that might make that task more "doable" than not having two of them to work with.
I am not sure what the side panels are called on both sides of the fuselage are called, but I will refer to them as "sponsons" for now. my apologies if I am wrong on the proper terminology on this.
I am thinking that I could possibly cut the "sponsons" on the fuselage by the Canopy and graft "extensions" donated by the second Apache to extend the sponsons. This sounds like a "Frankenstein" method in attempting to correct these issues and again, This is what i envision, not necessarily what I am capable of doing. This is my thought process for this and if anyone has a better idea on any of this, I would LOVE to hear them.
I have been busy correcting the little things that I can readily find information on, such as some of the rotorhead detail that you told me about, antennas, some detail on the spine of the rotorhead area behind the Disco ball area. (The disco ball itself will be ordered from pizzaguy on Wednesday.)
I also found some photos of different Apaches with upturned exhaust extensions added. If I can narrow down information on if this is indeed a current (?) Longbow, I will entertain possible making them. Until then, I have used Tamiya black panel line accent to define the mesh on the engine exhaust. Any suggestions that you may have also are greatly appreciated.

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I am in the process of acquiring a 3D computer printed M-230 30mm Cannon to replace the BBI one. (Neither of the Apache donors that I have, came with one :( It will NOT be cheap by any means). it has to be done though. I am expecting the Radome from Pickelhaube in either this weekend or next week. I ordered the Disco ball from Pizza guy. I am still looking for the wire cutters for the above and below the fuselage and on the landing gear. I am still up in the air on the different surgeries that would be needed to correct this from the A model to the D model and the windshield surgery. I am still trying to get the antennas and sensors together. I will post photos, as soon as I can find a suitable photo hosting site to do so (One that is dependable and is free!) When I do, I will post photos.

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

I found some photos of the same "type" of IR Sensors that Pickelhaube made for the Blackhawk, being used on the Apache Longbow.

I have also seen photos of them mounted on the rear sides of the fuselage, but, due to copyrights, I cannot post them here.

Pickelhaube, Is there any chance that you could make a few of these sensors, without the mountings that you make them on? Just curious.
TIA

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:05 pm

I just found a site that has a ton of CG inf n the AH-64D Apache Longbow.
Here is a link to it:

https://www.cgstudio.com/3d-model/boein ... kpit-21200

I figure that using the site and numerous photographs like the prior post that I made will assist in making some of the details not found on the BBI AH-64A.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:35 pm

I will look into it.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

mutt71
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mutt71 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Thank you, my friend. I figured that this might be something that you could do pretty easily, considering that you have made the actual sensors as part of the "crab eyes".

air one
Corporal
Corporal

Post by air one » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:16 am

Hi,
@mutt71
If you need any hard reference pm me your personal mail
@Pickelhaube:
Hi !!! How are you since last November ? Great I hope ! Sorry not to get back to you sooner but work has overstepped...