Tamiya 1:35 Panzer II F/G Kit Build

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Tamiya 1:35 Panzer II F/G Kit Build

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 am

I'd been wanting a Panzer II in 1:32 scale (or thereabouts) and since there are no pre-built options, knew I'd need to build a kit. I then came across the 1:35 scale Tamiya Panzer II F/G kit at my local hobby store and it wasn't a bad deal at $14. I'd have prefered the earlier Panzer II B/C variant due to its use in the Blitzkrieg campaigns, however, the F/G model would do as I could depict it as a vehicle on the Eastern Front or North Africa. Enjoy the pictures :D

Size comparison with 1:32 FOV Panzer IVF

Box Cover

The Tamiya Panzer II kit is quite simple to build with relatively few parts. Really no more complex than the 21c 32x models. The turret rotates, guns elevate, and the rubber track are designed to roll. The kit has the option to build either a Panzer II F or Panzer II G with the turret bustle. I made the kit as a Panzer IIG with the standard German Gray with heavy weathering for an Eastern Front vehicle, even if the markings are a bit inaccurate... The model comes with an additional commander figure and 4 DAK soldier figures. I know it's underscale next to the 1:32 armor, but the Panzer II was a small tank anyways, so it doesn't bother me that much :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Re: Tamiya 1:35 Panzer II F/G Kit Build

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Actually, what you have is still an "F", bustle or not.

This is a "G":

Looks like a Lynx but there are several major visual differences between those two.

The "G" had overlapped roadwheels. The "E" used the same torsion bar suspension with just 4 roadwheels as the "D". Tamiya screwed up putting "E" on the box as it is just an "F" inside. Main difference between the "F" and the "A", "B", and "C" was the front armor faces were changed a little and thickened, but for the most part identical.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I was namely basing my assessment of the model type off what was on the directions and the box. I'm most familiar with the B/C versions of the Panzer II, having a giant 1:6 scale Panzer IIC sitting by my desk 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 pm

It's a surprising error on Tamiya's part, seeing as usually they are excellent at researching their kits prior to release. However, it is a pretty old kit at this point and modelers weren't such picky know-it-alls like they are now.

Also, the "c" and "A" versions were pretty much the same as the "B" and "C" - very minor changes made from one to the next. Mostly armor upgrades, which obviously could only take such a small tank so far.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:04 am

You did a great job on the build and paint :D
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller