Custom 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Quad .50 (Finished)

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Custom 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Quad .50 (Finished)

Post by rschaap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:08 am

I saw a Solido 1/50 scale WC63 with a Maxon Machine gun (Quad .50) I also saw an actual photo of a WC63 with a Maxon in Italy and decided to duplicate it. I will post more photos as I make progress.

Last edited by rschaap on Sun May 04, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

YT
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Machine gun (Quad .50 cal)

Post by YT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:46 pm

I look forward to seeing your progress.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Machine gun (Quad .50 cal)

Post by rschaap » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 am

After removing the WC63 canvas top, railings, “Jerry cans”, and gun I made use of parts I received from Pickelhaube that he had left over from an M-17 conversion he did (pictured is an M-17 I had for photo purposes).

The parts below have all been removed from the M-17 Halftrack. They include the radio, four .50 cal magazines with storage rack, two long storage boxes, a small storage box, one jerry can and a quad gun mount.

My plan is to make a M55 gun trailer mount for my conversion using the M-17 quad gun mount by cutting down the flooring and shorting the actual mount so it looks more like the gun trailer mounted inside the WC63.

After cutting the gun mount down I flipped over the top to pattern the hole I need to fit the gun to the shorter mount.

The next post will have the conversion to the M55 mount.

pickelhaube

Re: Custom 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Machine gun (Quad .50 cal)

Post by pickelhaube » Thu May 01, 2014 4:55 am

This is going to look sweet !!

Also a " one of a kind " in the 1/18th world !!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Thu May 01, 2014 10:40 pm

I took the railings off and will cut them to match the ones seen on the WC63 in Italy.

I started the base for the M55 by using the cut up M17 mount and various pieces from my scrap box in addition to some stock plastic for the front and back of the mount. The two plates plates on the back of the mount and the one on the front are made from a cut up gift card. I simulated the bolts by using a toothpick and dipping the end in white glue and touching the plates where I believed the bolts would go. I cut groves for the bed railings and filed them out so the mount had more of a surface when I glued it in. The mount would actually not extend as far down in real life, since it is a trailer mount. I wanted the mount to sit level with the wheel wells and I still wanted the gun to rotate without breaking the mount, so I made the base higher with the intention of covering part of it with a canvas tarp (taken from a BBI Humvee). The canvas tarp will be cut to fit in the bed, repainted olive drab and made to butt up against the gun mount at the rear, similar to the blue tarp in the picture of the WC63 in Italy.

Next I took the quad gun and repainted it to match photos I have seen of the gun.

Going to Las Vegas this weekend for my son's birthday. I will be back on Sunday and post more pictures of my progress.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun May 04, 2014 8:15 pm

I next took a red light I had from a parts WC57 Command Vehicle and had everything I needed to assemble my vehicle with a little bit of creative licensing.

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 pm

I brush painted everything I planed on using and assembled the truck. First I painted and installed the gun mount, then after cutting, sanding and painting the canvas tarp I fit it to the mount to cover the bottom portion. I installed the two storage containers to the inside portion of the storage area behind the mount. I installed the Jerry can and mount to the front of the passenger side step. I took the radio and made a cover from stock plastic and installed it just to the right of the passenger seat on the lip of the storage area. I installed the extra magazines and rack at the front of the storage area along with the larger storage box just in front of the gun on the driver's side. I put the red light on the drivers side front fender and finally installed the cut down racks. I was impressed with the way it turned out and will eventually photograph it next to my stock WC63. I have some touch ups to do so I hope you enjoy what I have done and keep in mind it is my idea of what a functional vehicle would look like and somewhat fictional.

pickelhaube

Re: Custom 1/18 WC63 with Maxon Quad .50 (Finished)

Post by pickelhaube » Tue May 06, 2014 5:33 am

Looks pretty cool !!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm looking at making a second version with an updated base similar to the Corgi 1/50 scale model only in 1/18 scale.

normandy

Post by normandy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 pm

I like it, great custom. I could see some GI saying " what if we put a quad 50 on this thing " 8)
And as Pickel said a one of kind in 1:18 :!:

rschaap
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by rschaap » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you, I still have to tweak it a little. This is what it looks like in a small convoy.

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

LOOKS GREAT !!!!!