any way to bleach the colour out of decals

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

any way to bleach the colour out of decals

Post by aferguson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:50 pm

i need a couple of british low viz roundels and all i have are the regular kind. I don't really feel like buying some. Is there a quick way to bleach the colour out of the decals? If i can they should end up pale blue and pinkish, which is the colour of low viz roundels.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

normandy
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: any way to bleach the colour out of decals

Post by normandy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:22 am

Andrew,
You want to bleach the color out....fade the color..... :idea: If the decals are on the model try spraying them with
dull coat. Let the area dry, then use artists pastels, color you want...rubbed in with a Q-tip, spray and
let dry and then do the same with the second color.

If you choose this method its easy. Take a knife, razor blade what ever you have and scrape the pastel
until you have a small pile of the color needed. As mentioned above spray dull coat, let dry, apply pastel
with Q-tip, spray let dry. You'll want to spray thin coats each time......Ya don't want to end up with
a pitchers mound. :lol:
Try this technique on an index card or piece of sheet plastic. Now have at it!

Oh, there's always the old airbrush.... :P Kidding Andrew.... I use this technique often ( not for changing the color of
roundels but it should work) and I'm pleased with the results.
Good Luck.
Normandy.