Confederate Submarine Hunley

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

Confederate Submarine Hunley

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:47 am

I went to a model club meeting last night and they had a bunch of old Fine Scale Magazines on the table as give aways.

I went through a few of them ( I kept them all ) and one had some scale drawings of the Hunley.

This pioneer sub has always intrigued me and maybe someday I will build it.

Maybe not for reproduction but as a pet project along with my long list of other pet projects that may or may not see the light of day.

I also have always wanted to build the Ironclads Monitor and Merrimack ( Virginia ) those would really be cool in 1/18th scale.

Anymore interest in these Civil War maritime vessels of destruction ?

Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Confederate Submarine Hunley

Post by popeye357 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:49 pm

The Hunley was always a favorite of mine and would be perfect in 1/18. Not too long ago, I came across a listing on ebay for a 1/18 ironclad...it turned out to be wrong.
"Leave the Artillerymen alone...they are an obstinate lot" -Napoleon

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Very interesting. It seems like a subject that would also interest a number of museums if you offered a finished one at some point.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:22 am

Hunley would be interesting and seemingly easy to do, given that its practically a just cyllinder. Its not very big either. No real way to do an interior (not that there was much of one) but an opening hatch, rotating prop and dive planes would be cool. If you weight it correctly, it could even be made to float :wink:

My town (Fresno, CA) has one of the largest annual Civil War re-enactments in the country and they've featured that traveling CSS Hunley exhibit with the life-sized replica a couple times. Quite interesting.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Razor17019

Post by Razor17019 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:51 pm

We visited the CSS Hunley outside of Charleston, SC about 5 years ago.
At that time, they still had it submerged in water and were doing excavations on the vessel. Several cities and museums were fighting over who would display the Confederate sub.
I have also seen the awesome exhibit at the Mariner's Museum in Virginia that has life size replica of the ironclad Monitor.
PH - I have a Monitor model/R/C project that I purchased off Ebay. It's not finished and may be underscaled for 1/18 scale, but it might give you some ideals on how to proceed with the project.
PM your email address and I can send you pics.
Razor
To Lee R. Frakes and the B-17 Good Pickin