Help defogging clear canopy parts

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
15tango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help defogging clear canopy parts

Post by 15tango » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm painting a custom F-86 and the tape that I used to tape off the canopy left behind some sticky residue. I used paint thinner to clean off the sticky residue but now my canopy has a fog look to it. I was wondering if anybody knew of an easy way to get rid of this foggy look. I've tried water and windex and it's still there. Any help is appreciated.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Help defogging clear canopy parts

Post by Yoxford » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:11 am

15tango...This should fix the cloudy canopy.....I always dip my canopy & clear parts in Future floor wax which is an acrylic that really adds clarity to plastic canopies..makes them look like glass..(.and also great for a base coat for decals.) As for the best method of aplication, you can dip, brush, airbrush, as it is very thin like water, and flows over the part well just do not let it pool up..excess can be sucked up by the edge of a paper towel.
It is important that the clear parts are clean and free of oils (such as your fingerprints) prior to application of Future. Most often wiping off with a Q-Tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol should be enough…and Let the canopy dry thoroughly before proceeding. Let the Future dry about 4 hours before handling
The nice thing about Future is that all clear parts can be improved by this coating: thick, badly polished, even scratched. Lasts forever and will not yellow.

Mark
Last edited by Yoxford on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

Jnewboy
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Jnewboy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

This has happened to me years ago and I never tried the future shine so try it first on a little part.. if there is no luck try scrubbing it with a soft toothbrush and some olive oil. It will clear up, but unfortunately its a temporary fix, within a month it will be foggy again and you will have to redo it. not the best but its something.. :D

15tango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 15tango » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Hopefully one of them will workout for me. I would hate to have spent all this time on the aircraft only to have it ruined by a foggy canopy.

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 am

I have a few tips from my scale modeling days that might help. Try polishing the cloudy part of the canopy with a bit of toothepaste and a piece of soft cotton rag. The toothepaste is a very mild abrasive. Also I've found that the best way to remove tape residue from just about anything is another piece of tape. Take a piece of clear tape and keep putting it over the sticky part and pulling it off. After several tries it should remove all the residue. If necessary use fresh pieces of tape until the residue is all gone.