The rest of the 222 crew

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

The rest of the 222 crew

Post by General Blasto » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:52 am

Here are the other figures I made for my 222 crew.
They're just standing around waiting for the 222 to arrive :P

The whole crew ready and waiting.

Our loader.

Our radio man.

Our driver and 2nd in command.

And of course our commander you've seen him before :wink:
So now all we need is our 222 and they'll all be happy 8)

Gen. Blasto

FYI - I did some research on the green SS uniforms and the eagle emblem DOES go on the sleeve and not on the front of the uniform. I will change this as soon as I find my insignias and other decals floating around in my hobby room :oops:

Stug45
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Stug45 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

8) 8) 8) 8)
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

SolidSnakeEyes
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by SolidSnakeEyes » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Where do you get the belt buckles, medals, emblems, etc?
I have several of The Huns figures, so I know that he uses them, too.
I looked at the trap, Ray.

-- Dr. Egon Spengler

flyboy_fx

Post by flyboy_fx » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Yea please tell us! :D
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
--Samuel Beckett

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Those figures look real nice General... 8) If I may suggest.... if you hit them with a light coat of Krylon or Rustoleum window frosting it will subdue that glossy sheen that is kind of noticeable in some of the pictures. I've used the stuff with great results on a bunch of different items, and it will take the gloss off just about anything, including glass... :lol: 8) It's just a suggestion though, and the figs look great either way.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

kduck
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by kduck » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Ostketten, Testors Dullcoat is also great for dulling the shine. It works great and can be found in hobby shops or some craft stores like Michaels.

Blasto I like what you've done with the insignia. Other than changing the breast eagle to a sleeve eagle you need to change the helmet decals too. They should have SS runes in a white shield on the right side and on the left side a red shield with a white circle and swastika in the middle. Alternately if it's a late war crew you could leave the helmet decals off altogether. Depending on the division you might want to add cuff titles as well.

SolidSnakeEyes I don't know what the General used but it's easy to print out insignia and medals and such and cut them out and glue them to a figure. I've done that before and it looked great. It can be fiddly work and you need to color the edges of the paper with a felt tip pen or a bit of paint to get rid of the white edges but it looks good when done. I've never used 1:16 accesories on 1:18 figures but it's possible that they might be close enough in scale to work well on 1:18 figures. Maybe someone that's tried it could chime in here. There are companies that make 1:16 insignia as decals and photo etched items. Companies that make or have made 1:16 (also listed as 120mm) insignia are Verlinden, Tamiya, Peddinghaus and Lion Roar. Check this link for a review of one of the Lion Roar sets:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/r ... lam027.htm

General Blasto
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by General Blasto » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:30 pm

I think the details may be Verlinden, not sure, I got them years ago.
The helmets DO have the white sheild with SS lightning bolts on the right side, but have the standard eagle on the left, yet it looks different than the 21st helmet. The hemets BTW are FOV ones ;) You know, the more I think about it, the more I may leave the eagle emblem on the front of the uniform. It is however MY army guys, so I should be able to do what I want with them :twisted: I should do something about the gloss though, thanks for the tip, it's on the list 8) So much to do and soo little time :roll:

Da General

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:21 am

Ostketten, Testors Dullcoat is also great for dulling the shine. It works great and can be found in hobby shops or some craft stores like Michaels.
Yep, been using it (Dullcoat) for years, the problem with DC is it's a Lacquer and will react with some surfaces and finishes. If you guys haven't tried the window frosting I strongly suggest giving it a try, it's inexpensive and very versatile, dries very fast and leaves an ultra-flat finish. But the credit for recommending this stuff goes to another member here (whose name I can't recall at the moment) for suggesting this stuff, I tried it based on his suggestion, and I can't say enough good things about it.. 8)
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

kevrut

Post by kevrut » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:31 am

You did a great job on those.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:23 am

Dull coat wouldn't hurt it would make less the plastic sheen, and maybe a wash on the uniforms to bring out the creases before hand. I don't know what a dip like Quickshade would bring out on a 1/18 toy, but it's done wondering with 15mm-1/72 scale figurines, models and wargaming pieces..brings out muscles and facial lines without covering details.

I use Army-painter Anti-shine also(Big can, store discount) also with dull coat, which comes in and out at my local hobbies like the sun and moon(Being limited to 2 stores for county)
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48