BBI F-16,F-18 landing gear support.

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
snake
Officer - Brigadier General

BBI F-16,F-18 landing gear support.

Post by snake » Tue May 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Any of you guys have ideas as to reduce the weight stress on the landing gear?It never occurred to me that this was going to be a problem,but with the weight of these models,it does make sense.
What would be an easy way to reinforce the struts?Not much of a modeller anymore,so it would have to be simple.
An easier route would probably be to put some kind of support under the plane.Any ideas?

popeye357
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by popeye357 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:32 pm

I'd go the easy way and get a support for the bottom of the plane.

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed May 20, 2009 8:08 am

I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having. I have two F-18s and one is hanging (so the gear gets no stress), but the other has been sitting on its gear for some two years or more. The main stress point that I can see is the axle to wheel area of the mains only. Is this where you see the problem?
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

snake

Post by snake » Wed May 20, 2009 12:49 pm

I don't have any problems,yet.But I have read that over time the main landing gear can start to sag,due to the weight of the plane.
Just looking for solution[s],to preferably stop this from happening,or to fix it,if it does.
Apparently this is not an uncommon problem.

snake

Post by snake » Wed May 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Should clarify.It is the actual strut that starts to bend.

VMF115

Post by VMF115 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:29 pm

An old post by a board member
MiG29K wrote:On the issue of landing gear, I addressed that problem with boiling water. The plastic on the landing gear appears to be a Vinyl...pretty much like star wars figures and whatnot. I took a small pot of boiling water, filled to the brim (Use Caution and oven mits because you'll end up with scalding water, 3rd degree burns and whatnot) Fill an 8 to 10 ounce glass of water and keep it in the freezer while waiting for the boil.

Next Phase, when the water is at full boil, Dip the landing gear into the water and wait until it becomes loose and rubbery. Set the desired position (basically I over compensated until the landgear wheel was looking 45 degrees downward cant.

Last Phase: IMMEDIATELY retrieve the glass of water from the freezer and dip the landing gear into it. This will "shock" the plastic into retaining memory. Keep submerged for a couple of minutes. After both landing gear were set, I retracted them, closed the doors and kept the plane at rest for a couple days, refraining from any use. I tested the weight a couple days later and the Plane has NOT drooped since!!' viewtopic.php?t=1118&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Let me hear your guns!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: My what?
Colonel "Madman" Maddox: Your guns! Ack, ack, ack, ack, ack!
Captain Wild Bill Kelso: [fires his airplane's guns] AHHHH!