Camouflage application question

Love to tweak toys and models? Add features and small details? This forum is for you!
Forward Observer
Corporal
Corporal

Camouflage application question

Post by Forward Observer » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:49 am

I am just about to finish the physical part of a Panzer IV customization project and hope to start painting soon, but have a question about that part.

When applying camo to German armor, should the various tools, cables, and other attachments be painted to match the camo job, or should they retain their original natural or previously painted colors.

I have seen all sorts of combinations looking at various modeling examples, but wondered which might be the most probable.

I have a standard 21s C Panther and all the tools and attachments except the cables were painted to match the vehicle, but I suspect that may just as well be the most expeditious way to produce the toy at the Chinese factory rather than any real actual attempt to reflect historical reality.

I would assume that in reality a tank being produced at the factory would have it's base and camo paint job applied well before all the implements were attached, and that those that were painted in the field later could go either way----but then I also can't imagine that tank crews would want to take the chance of gumming up some of the mechanical tools like the jack or bolt cutters with extra paint.

There is also what appears to be a fire extinguisher mounted on one of the fender decks, which normally would be painted bright red, but then a bright red object would seem a bit counterintuitive to camouflage.

Opinions?
Last edited by Forward Observer on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:33 pm

I always camo the whole AFV and then come back and detail paint all tools,then apply oil washes,then dry brush ,but which ever way you do it would be correct,i just like the detail more,helps break up the colors,german fire extinguishers were gray,look farward to seeing your tank , :)

Forward Observer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Forward Observer » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks, I kind of figured that I had a little flexibility.

I have acquired several books on the Pz IV's and have learned that just like the fact that all the models overlap a bit, that at various points during war, painting in the field was quite hap-hazard from unit to unit.

I hope it comes out well, and if so, I will post some pictures.
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl