BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:31 am

chunks wrote:Mike, welcome back and thanks. There's no TRU here and even the new wallyworld is showing signs of getting rid of all 21c stuff. Concerning the sitings of the new helipeller configured Cayuse, can you offer any hint when it might be available from e-tailers?

Thanks and Regards
I'd also like to know this as am in the UK would like to know if these releases will get to the e-tailers or just be a tru exclusive like last series.
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am

scope uk wrote:Well being a manufacturer sounds like a nightmare! you know you have good product that there is a market for it but you cant get buyers to pick it up :roll: .
My observation: 21st Century product, in addition to being positioned with a major retailer, is also *very* available through alternative sales channels such as the online retailers.

Can't say the same for the BBI product. Why that is I don't know - but when you have an alternative sales channel out there ready and willing to sell the product and are unable to get that product 75% of the time, it is rather difficult to read these "it's a tough business to be in" posts.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

FieroDude
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by FieroDude » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:34 pm

I don't even know what is involved in becoming a retailer for bbi anymore--I know I looked into it a couple years ago, to try to get some sort of outlet into this area besides TRU, but they were transitioning all of it to Merit at that time except the very big retail (TRU) contracts.
Verraten und verkauft,
zu lange vertröstet zu lange belogen
Verraten und verkauft,
Durch den Dreck und über den Tisch gezogen.
H.R.K 1993

coreystinson
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by coreystinson » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 pm

FieroDude wrote:I don't even know what is involved in becoming a retailer for bbi anymore--I know I looked into it a couple years ago, to try to get some sort of outlet into this area besides TRU, but they were transitioning all of it to Merit at that time except the very big retail (TRU) contracts.
Who knows what the whole story is? BBI is still dealing directly/occasionally with what I'll call the alternative sales channels. Meanwhile, Merit is still distributing some (but not all) of the product too. How this could possibly work for Merit is a mystery to me, but Merit has their own issues which would warrant a whole separate conversation (like them turning over their sales staff every 1 or 2 months, won't correspond by email, etc. etc.?!?!).

You can pretty much forget about making any inquiries directly. 50% of them are DOA at the first point of contact. Yet, someone on this board is able to contact them and be sent a set of figures that haven't even been released yet, while retailer(s) willing to buy thousands of dollars of the same product are summarily dismissed.

It is all a highly dysfunctional situation from my perspective out in the peanut gallery.
Corey Stinson
http://smalljoes.com

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:03 am

The bottom line is is that BBI is missing out by not releasing more 1/18th airplanes. 21st and Admiral are doing all the delievering and are announcing new planes every week it seems while BBI remains silent. I know it takes awhile to produce a 1/18th airplane but when was the last time BBI released anything new? And I'm not talking about repaints. Its seems like a long time ago to me and I could be wrong about that. BBI is losing alot of money and its sad to see.

:?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

STUKA

Post by STUKA » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 am

Im confused? BBI silent?

just picked up the new F4u, the new littlebird is out - I think we were told they moved headquarters - now sure we would all like to see something new - but this is the off season.
Ich liebe den Geruch von Sturzkampfflugzeug morgens.

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm

I wouldn't rule out BBI yet, they tend to suprise us every once in a while. I'm waiting for Toyfair. I bet that is when we see something.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Plane Nuts
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Plane Nuts » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:36 pm

Lest anyone forget, BBI is a part of a very large toy company. Their strategy is to bet on the winners, and make those winners happen.

A few vocal collectors, I am sure, are probably a point of pride for this company, but at the end of the day are just a bit of a drop in a bucket. They have nothing to gain by laying out their strategic plans, and nothing to lose if they decide a niche market in scale war toys cannot support their efforts.

I do not ask anything of BBI, and am quite fortunate to have seen F-18s, F-16s, Zeros, Blackhawks, Apaches, and Kiowas in 1:18 scale. I do not really understand why they decided to make a Mustang and Corsair, but they did and apparently sell well. If they make something worth my while, I will buy it, but I won't lose sleep if they don't.

Finally, it doesn't make sense to compare them to the other manufacturers, since Admiral is in the boutique business, and 21st has a ready made market (which I am sure cost them more than their first born). BBI does what they can with what they have. The last thing any of you should want is for BBI to get in a bidding war with 21st for certain retailers' attention. Although BBI could probably win and use some of their other properties as leverage, it would be at 21st's expense, and I assure you that a retailer such as WalMart would rather push one to extinction for this particular segment.

viperzerof-2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by viperzerof-2 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:45 pm

i only want an f-2 viper zero that is it.
1/18 f-2 must be made!

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Plane Nuts wrote:Lest anyone forget, BBI is a part of a very large toy company. Their strategy is to bet on the winners, and make those winners happen.

A few vocal collectors, I am sure, are probably a point of pride for this company, but at the end of the day are just a bit of a drop in a bucket. They have nothing to gain by laying out their strategic plans, and nothing to lose if they decide a niche market in scale war toys cannot support their efforts.

I do not ask anything of BBI, and am quite fortunate to have seen F-18s, F-16s, Zeros, Blackhawks, Apaches, and Kiowas in 1:18 scale. I do not really understand why they decided to make a Mustang and Corsair, but they did and apparently sell well. If they make something worth my while, I will buy it, but I won't lose sleep if they don't.

Finally, it doesn't make sense to compare them to the other manufacturers, since Admiral is in the boutique business, and 21st has a ready made market (which I am sure cost them more than their first born). BBI does what they can with what they have. The last thing any of you should want is for BBI to get in a bidding war with 21st for certain retailers' attention. Although BBI could probably win and use some of their other properties as leverage, it would be at 21st's expense, and I assure you that a retailer such as WalMart would rather push one to extinction for this particular segment.
I agree. We wouldn't have any of the great modern aircraft and helicopters without BBi. I wish they'd make more, but I sure am thankful for what they did make. Now that Admiral is around, I dont think about BBi as much (but if your reading BBi, I'll still buy any aircraft you make ;-) )

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:46 am

Is BBI at Toyfair this year? Has anyone seen or heard of any new product from them yet? You figure we would see something by now.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

tkjaer21
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by tkjaer21 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:10 pm

BBI is the reason why I got into collecting 1:18th. I thought that they looked cool along with my vintage 3 3/4 GI Joes.

scope uk
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by scope uk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:57 am

tkjaer21 wrote:BBI is the reason why I got into collecting 1:18th. I thought that they looked cool along with my vintage 3 3/4 GI Joes.
Same here i was always a joe collector but when BBI came out i was hooked i am impressed by every item they have done. I only wish they could release them over here in the UK again.

I hope the new stuff they bring out gets to the online etailers so i can get it.
If interrested in seeing more of my customs check out

http://www.freewebs.com/scopescustoms/index.htm

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:03 pm

Mike,

The 1/32 package mockups look great! Will these feature the moving parts found on the bigger 1/18 releases? What stores will carry this? What is the msrp? And when will they be released?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:15 pm

ya, when will they be released, because that my favorite news so far :P :P :P
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Mike,

The Hellcat is awesome. Nice going.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

SGT. Saunders
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by SGT. Saunders » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Mike

Just saw the pics of the WWII British Para Nice great.
thanks to you and BBI for the British troop. I also hope that this will mean that we will get to see some WWII British Paras on the ground?

Thanks
There's only one way out of HELL! and that's through it!!

markecho
Sergeant
Sergeant

Where are BBI Warriors of the World?

Post by markecho » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:09 pm

Hello,
Seen the new modern figures - disappointed that BBI still went with the parachute attached straps. Lots of those just sit at my TRU. Great looking accesories though.

What about WotW line? Any plans to continue this line?

I am waiting to see where BBI goes with this before I buy any more troops.

Thanks
Mark
It is the dang toy companies that have sometimes made me want to stop collecting toys!!!

digger

wow

Post by digger » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:00 am

The WoW line has more in store than Elite Force it seems. BBI showed fantasy figures from this line that included a Huge Dragon (with some range of motion), Merlin, beasts, warlocks, and other "creatures" that people might know the names of but look like characters from the Never Ending Story or the like. They also previewed cardboard cut-outs of the Civil War line, with both sides, a mounted soldier, and a cannon. There are pics out there I am sure..I will try to track down.

blaster_e11
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blaster_e11 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:17 am

scope uk wrote:
tkjaer21 wrote:BBI is the reason why I got into collecting 1:18th. I thought that they looked cool along with my vintage 3 3/4 GI Joes.
Same here i was always a joe collector but when BBI came out i was hooked i am impressed by every item they have done. I only wish they could release them over here in the UK again.

I hope the new stuff they bring out gets to the online etailers so i can get it.
ditto (but in france) :wink:

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 am

i've never heard of any of the fantasy stuff for WOTW, where did you see it digger? Sounds like they would be to go with all the knights BBI has made. Papo and Schleich have done similar things with their knight lines.

Yes, there is supposed to be a Civil War line released this year. I think overall, the WOTW is pretty popular, worldwide, so i am hopeful it will continue for years to come, with more eras introduced.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

digger

wow

Post by digger » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 am

Ask and ye shall receive....I've seen the Dragon (big & COOL, with moving neck/head) but can't find any pics..

MIGMADMAVIS
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by MIGMADMAVIS » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:27 pm

Aww nice finally a 1/18 Civil War Figure!!!!!!!!
Great Traders List:

hworth18
raiderad16
razor17019
momaw nadon
jmd250
kimtheredxd

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:29 am

there's actually a bunch of civil war figures coming and cannons. Some of the poses look great for army building. Can't really tell what the fantasy figures look like but they appear sort of lord of the rings-ish.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...