BBI - Blue Box Toys Information Q&A (Mike)

Ask Questions & Chat with representatives of the small scale companies!
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:56 pm

Mike wrote:

"for momaw nadon

These are two examples that actually exist in Oz right now one privately owned and one held by the RAAF Museum...both in flying condition.

the Oz Mustangs are in production right now...perhaps if there was sufficient demand we could do something through BadCat or similar...seems you guys quite like Badcat...so if we can get a number on it them we can knock them out and ship them...it might mean a pre-order from BC or similar."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:03 pm

Mike wrote:

"for Shin Densetsu

the General is Brigadier General Charles Yeager...aka Chuck."

digger
Officer - Brigadier General

very nice

Post by digger » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:04 pm

WOW - much nicer than the BC exclusive planes imo...maybe it's the variety but they look sweet....

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:07 pm

Hey Mike,
I was curious on how the feedback is going with the Red Devils F/A-18 Hornet. Haven't really heard anything from BadCat yay or nay at the moment. I know for sure the Red Devils Squadron down in MCAS Miramar would love them, and just about any military fan here in SoCal would probably love to get one being it's a local squardon (ex MCAS El Toro... I miss that base!).
Was curious on how the squadrons are chosen? I mean, personally I'd think VMFA-314 'Black Knights', probably THE most famous F/A-18 Hornet squadron, would have been one of the first to be produced. What determines the final choice in squadrons?

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

How or who would be able to pass that on to Badcat? How many per-order or something like it would be needed for Badcat to get them? If that is were they would go. Thanks again and this is great customer service.
momaw nadon

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 pm

I would be interested in those P-51 variants. I am always on the lookout for foreign liveries and planes.
Todd

PS Mike which is your favorite plane to fly?
Thanks,
Todd

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:12 pm

I REALLY like these repaints! I hope they eventually make the US. They put a really cool spin on the planes.

I think we are a bit too US-centric with the paint schemes (with the exception of the FAA Corsair and the 104, of course). I'm personally getting tired of "standard" schemes and looking at buying fewer and fewer repaints just from burnout. These, on the other hand, blow a bit of fresh air on the subject and I would definately pick them up if available. I hope this starts a trend, however, we have yet to see any Australian F-18s, so I think it will be doubtful.....

Thanks for the pictures. They look cool as hell.............

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:32 am

Mike wrote:

"for digger

Yes ..pretty aren't they. I guess different is a better word..the camo is unusual.

for p51

Can't actually say on the Red Devils as this is a Bad Cat exclusive and I really don't do sales...I can get info as I need to but do not keep abreast all of all customers.

The selection of the Red Devils was at BadCat's request...we have the tool for a Hornet and anyone you wants to meet the minimum production or price to have a specific livery is our customer.
It's that simple.

For the choice on the original that we did there are tons of factors..what's available,what we have data on, what looks ok, etc..somewhat complex sometimes."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:34 am

Mike wrote:

"for momaw nadon

I'll get our NYC office to talk to BadCat.
More when I know more"

"for Doc Todd

Thanks for the interest we will see what can be done..

My favourite plane to fly?...this topic can really stir up a hornet's nest...
There are so many "pilot" expressions like this one..
"there are only two kinds of pilots...those that have flown a Mustang and those that haven't"

the same format is used for elsewhere like a taildragger pilot
"Two kinds of pilots...those that have ground looped and those that are about to"

So I would have to say that flying any plane is great and it sometimes depends upon the mood you are in..some go fast, some go slow, some are hard work, others are easy, etc, etc. they all have different traits.

I love flying my Stearman as it is just so basic and what flying is all about...when I take people for a ride some say "where are we going?"...they don't get it...as soon as you get in the cockpit your are already "there".

It is that way for all aircraft as soon as you get in you are "there" ...anyway I digress...the Mustang is great...but to be honest...the Spitfire is the one!

for Teamski

Nice to hear you like these birds. They are both CAC Australian built Mustangs too.
There is a version of the camo one at Santa Monica Airport...belongs to Doug Price and is a flyer. His has a different rego on the side as it uses his initials.

The Oz Hornets were produced in time for the Australian International Airshow earlier this year and the total production was shipped to Oz....if we re-run I will put out the word. And it is now noted that foreign schemes are of interest.
There were 2 schemes..75 Squadron and 2 OCU ( Operational Conversion Unit)"

75th Ranger
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Nice planes

Post by 75th Ranger » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:44 am

Nice planes!!

Unbelievable!!

in the past few days i have bought 4 planes from bbi....

and of course like 20 figures, :lol:

but it seems like if bbi keep making nice planes like these i may become an avid plane collector too!....I have planty of planes, so don't think I'm an armor/figure guy only! but i like figures and armor more!!!

what about an A-7 or an A-6?
those would be really nice!!!!

keep that good things coming!
"RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

HOOAH!

75th Ranger

http://community.webshots.com/user/diverman88
http://community.webshots.com/user/75thairborneranger
http://photobucket.com/albums/a360/75thRANGER/
http://community.webshots.com/user/alphascuba

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:52 am

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

The Oz Hornets were produced in time for the Australian International Airshow earlier this year and the total production was shipped to Oz....if we re-run I will put out the word. And it is now noted that foreign schemes are of interest.
There were 2 schemes..75 Squadron and 2 OCU ( Operational Conversion Unit)"
Thanks Mike!

I had already added the 2 hornets to the profile album when I saw the pictures of the planes on E-Bay before I left for the desert 3 months ago. I'm happy I got them right the first time! :P Unfortunately, I won't be able to update the album with the Mustangs until I get home.... Keep them coming!

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:00 am

p51 wrote:The photos!

Now those P-51's with those paint schemes are VERY cool and would love to get my hands on them! If Bad Cat can get these then they would have a buyer. They are cool because they are different and add a fresh look to the P-51.

Very nice

:D
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:22 pm

Mike,

I know this is not related to the thread topic but, I remember reading that you own a T-28, what is the paint scheme? Years ago I had the honor of flying in one. It was at an airshow in Texas and I flew the airshow routine with the pilot. This particular Trojan was based in Corpus Christi and was painted in the Navy trainer shceme. It was such an awesome flight not only because it was in a T-28, but because we had a Corsair and an A-20 in our routine with us. A year after that a local airport tenant at the airport I used to fly at, bought a T-28 himself. If I remember correctly, his had an Air Force scheme. They are huge, awesome, and impressive aircraft. Have you ever done the old flower bag drop with yours? Civilian T-28 owners have talked about this as their alternative to not having real ordinance to bomb with.... :D

USCGSARdog
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by USCGSARdog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:37 pm

Hi Mike! A quick question if I may. It has been said that helicopter subjects don't sell well hence the number of planes vs. helos. Has this been bbi's experience or is there just a lack of popular helo subjects to produce?

And by the way, thank you for your interest and interaction with our board. You truly bring a new and interesting perspective to everyone here.

-Rob

Fatalist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fatalist » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi Mike!

Thank you for taking time out of your days and nights to look over and answer some questions. All of us, whether we're vocal about it or not, deeply thank you.

Quick, small question for you. In the future, would it be feasable for BBI to have a parts program of some sort?
Those of us with kids know about the pains of having pieces go missing off of toys, and not being able to get them replaced without having to buy a whole new one. I've emailed BBI a couple weeks ago about possibly purchasing the missing parts I need, and got a no go, as they dont sell individual pieces .

Thanks!!

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:56 pm

Mike,

Have any of the other jet companies aside northrop grumman, expressed interest in the combat command line?

And would BBI consider making a 1/32 scale line?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:04 pm

Mike wrote:

"for Birddog

My T28 is a "D" model ex Laos during the Vietnam era and is in the Loatian livery...so she is grey all over with Laotian markings...it is an "Air America" aircraft and was owned by the CIA. It is still "stock military" and has the cockpit fitted with the toggles marked "rockets, bombs, etc"

I have done flour bombing and streamer cutting with it.
They are a big lady with tons of power 1435HP...they can outclimb the Mustang to 5,000 feet...but they are fundamentally a trainer that they stuffed a bigger engine into and then armed for ground attack and support work.
But a good bird to fly and keeps you current on "heavy metal" and engine management."

"for USCGARdog

thanks for the welcome

Our experience with choppers is very good..after all we have 4 of them so far..Apache, Blackhawk, Kiowa and Little Bird.
I guess they are not as "sexy" for some people to look at compared to the planes but our sales of them are on a par with planes..in fact the Little Bird is a volume item. Probably because of the price I'd say.

But development is much slower...the Apache is now being up-graded by the US military to all Longbow spec and the Comanche was cancelled..so not too many new topic to choose from."

{boy if you want suggestions for helicopters to make, Mike, just let me know...aferg}

"for Fatalist.

Thanks for the comments.
Spare parts...now that is a curly one and one that we have grappled with over time too...the short answer is "not at this time" and most likely the reason you got a no go as a reply was that we simply don't keep spare parts and if the item is not in production when you request the part then they don't even have any to sell to you.
It is not that they don't want to...it is that they simply cannot sell what they don't have.
The models are made in various sets of tools with each tool containing multiple parts and in production they run enough to make the goods and no more.

We are always looking at this but like I said for the short term the answer is as above."

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:19 pm

Mike wrote:

"for Shin Densetsu

The A1-0 for the Target line was a natural and the timing was right..as we were already working with the licensor then that helped too. Most licensors do not follow this type of toy product as they prefer to see replica editions put out , so we don't get too many other enquiries.

We have no immediate plans for 1/32"

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:52 pm

well keep the helos coming
my wife is a helicopter & F-18 nut (she has 2 BBI F-18s) so as long as helos come out i can do fixed wing and not get to much flak.
i'm sitting under wifes 1/6 littlebird whenever i'm on computer.
we have every 1/18 helo & airplane made so far.

KAGNEW
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by KAGNEW » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

as for a helo type how about the Mash Bell helos and some of the early Hillers. they could be done in U S Army and civilian.
i was a kid in Detroit all the radio and TV stations had them.
plus you could do the Kiowa as a Jet ranger from the old FBI show.
plus most police depts. in USA & Canada still use Jet rangers

fredricchio
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by fredricchio » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:39 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote: ...and the Comanche was cancelled..so not too many new topic to choose from."
Does this preclude it from ever being made? I dunno about anyone else but I would still like to see it, even if its not in service its still a very cool design. Also I couldn't help but notice that theres a Comanche-esque helo in one of the Combat Command sets.

momaw nadon
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by momaw nadon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:44 pm

I was wondering If there is is any change of German (WWII), Russian (Modern) or any other country for opposing forces (in any line) for the near future? You don't have to say what, just a yes or no would do. Also could you say that any of the rumors that are going around about the Hind are true? Thanks again.
momaw nadon

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:56 pm

Mike wrote:

"for fredricchio

Well you know they say "never say never".
The reason it has showed up in our Target line is that we were well down the track in developing the item when the contract was cancelled...this is a tricky bird as it is a joint development between Boeing and Sikorsky and even who was responsible for the license became an issue.
So anyway after they dropped it...so did we...and I think it unlikely it will become a "phoenix" "

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

re

Post by Shin Densetsu » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:09 pm

aferguson wrote:Mike wrote:

"for Shin Densetsu

The A1-0 for the Target line was a natural and the timing was right..as we were already working with the licensor then that helped too. Most licensors do not follow this type of toy product as they prefer to see replica editions put out , so we don't get too many other enquiries.

We have no immediate plans for 1/32"

Hehehehehehhe. Mike you just gave me a clue as to what you guys were working on....I have deducted and concluded.

And I am a HAPPY man!

Since the commanche became a "phoenix" of some sort, is there any chance for a 1/18 one?

And since BBI would probably want to hear what the fans have high interest in, what is the best way to make our voices heard for the combat command line?
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:18 pm

Shin,

Don't read between the lines, remember....... :D