Blue Angel A-4 Skyhawk question

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Blue Angel A-4 Skyhawk question

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:52 am

Does anyone know where I can find a video tape or DVD that has the Blue Angels when they flew the A-4? Thanks.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

der Vogelfänger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Blue Angels A4

Post by der Vogelfänger » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:10 pm

SF: Contact the PAO (Public Affairs Officer) at NAS Sherman Field, attached to NAS Pensacola, where the Blues make their home. They more than likely has vids or pictures archived for such occasions.

dV
FLYNAVY
du doch nicht!
Kennst du mich noch?
Luftwaffe-a-holic!!!

Unsere Mannschaft muß einfach gewinnen, und
plötzlich, Weltmeister Zwanzigvierzehn! (WM2014)

Danke Jungs!!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:46 pm

I have some old video of the Blue Angels when they flew A-4s. I think it was called Razorback or something like that. Essentially is was professional filmings of Blue Angels shows at the time they flew the A-4. There is also an old Imax film, To Fly! that features a sequence with the Blue Angels in A-4s.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Blue Angels

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm not sure where you can find it, but in 1986 the band Van Halen did a music video title "Dreams" that feature the Blues in Skyhawks. I heard it was later re-shot using the newer Hornets, but I bet the original video still exists out there somewhere. Good luck finding it!!!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

My Own Advice

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:36 pm

Took my own advice and searched....FOUNDIT! Go to www.youtube.com and search for "skyhawk" in the videos. You'll probably find a few...just scan the list for the Van Halen video titled "Dreams". Enjoy dude!
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

jaywhy8202
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jaywhy8202 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:01 pm

As a general rule, the Blue Angels only release video footage to accredited media outlets, and not the general public.

The A-4 performance scenes used in Van Halen's "Dreams" video was taken from Navy and McDonnell-Douglas stock libraries. Warner Brothers Records secured the rights to the footage to create the video for their 40th anniversary in 1986; and the year the squadron transitioned from the "Scooter" to the F/A-18 Hornet.

There is a documentary called "The Blue Angels - Rolling In The Sky" (it was also titled "Razor Sharp") available from Amazon.com as a used item, as the video is no longer in-print. It was made in 1982 by actor/producer/director JoAnna Cameron (best-known for her role as TV super hero "Isis") and features performance footage of The Blues flying the A-4F Skyhawk II.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all
Last edited by jaywhy8202 on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[baf]Jon[/baf]
JO1, USN (ret.)
San Diego

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:58 pm

jaywhy8202 wrote:There is a documentary called "The Blue Angels - Rolling In The Sky" (it was also titled "Razor Sharp") available from Amazon.com as a used item, as the video is no longer in-print. It was made in 1982 by actor/producer/director JoAnna Cameron (best-known for her role as TV super hero "Isis") and features performance footage of The Blues flying the A-4F Skyhawk II.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all
That's the one I have buried in my VHS casette library! I couldn't think of the name earlier. Now to go search it out...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."