F/A-18 Gunbay and Refuel Probe

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

F/A-18 Gunbay and Refuel Probe

Post by Folkwulfe » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Sorry for the delay, but there's been an on-going tragedy locally. A very good friend has been in the hospital awaiting a liver transplant...now they have taken her off the list. It seems the window for her was very narrow and has now closed. I've had to spend some time with her...and her husband who is also a very close friend. It's no excuse, but a simple explination that I hope you'll understand.
Here's what I've been able to gather so far. The best pics I could find were out of Detail and Scale, Inc. #69 on the Super Hornet (but they apply to the legacy Hornets as well).
Image This is the underside looking aft into the open gunbay. The radar electronics tray is upper center and in the retracted (normal) position). This tray would be pulled out allowing clearance for the multi-barrels to drop straight down out of the bay when removing the gun assembly.
Image This is the open gunbay door showing all the electronics mounted to the inside of the door itself. Not too apparent is the exhaust screens that cover the aft end of the door. Air is forced into the gunbay through the openings on either side of the muzzle opening in front of the windscreen. Down here is where all the exhaust gasses are vented. A large dump-chute for breech gasses can be seen at the aft end of the bay...and very visible even when the gunbay door is closed through those screens.
ImageImage
Left and right views of the gun assembly on the maintenance cradle.
...and a couple of the refueling probe you were also interested in. The one on the left has the forward door still partly open. That would normally be closed except for maintenance when this pic was taken.

Still searching dude, but this should give you a start (or a headache depending on how deep you choose to go).
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:03 am

Moving this to reference...

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:51 am

I'm sorry about your friend, Britt. :cry:

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:09 pm

Who me? Actually, it was Folkwulfe's friend.

Also, forgot to mention... I ahve a bunch of F/A-18D Up close shots from 2004...
http://warbird-photos.com/walk-f18dhornet/index.html

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Hey buddy

Post by MiG29K » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:46 pm

First off, sorry about your friend Folkwulfe... Friends come first and that is without saying. They're very fortunate to have someone such as yourself by their side. Thanks for the pics, I couldn't find them earlier until you e mailed me the side note. I already did the refueling probe but still have to finish the last two door panels. If I'm lucky, I'll have the Laser Guided Bombs done by showtime Saturday...keepin fingers crossed here. If not, they'll likely be done the following week. Lots of stuff going on this week. I found some other pics on the M61 and its making me want to install one on my bird! I'll hit you up back shortly...

Rob
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas

Folkwulfe
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Friend

Post by Folkwulfe » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:45 am

My friend's name is Ann Bradshaw and she is the co-founder of a rator rehabilitation group called "On The Wing Again" or OTWA for short. Her and her husband, Pierre, have been involved in rehabing hawks, falcons, and owls back into the wild after being imprinted or injured for some 25 years. I got involved with the group some three years ago and have enjoyed their company ever since. It is, therefore, sad that yesterday, 4 April at around 5:15 PM Ann lost her fight. She died peacefully and quietly in her sleep. I was lucky to have met her, lucky to be her friend, and will never let her spirit die as long as I live and remember her like the rest of her large large family at OTWA. Thanks to all for the kind words.
US Army MP Corps combat veteran Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm

INTREPER
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by INTREPER » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:08 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend Folkwulfe. She started a beautiful thing. May she rest in peace.

Black_Dragon_One
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:21 pm

i too am sorry for your lost

i have a family member that was on another list.

god be with her....
whats up doc....

MiG29K
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Too damn tempting...

Post by MiG29K » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:01 am

I'm liking the M61 and radar combo even more... hmmm.... but, here is the end result of the mayhem:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/H ... Completed/

and here goes...

Hope all is well Folkwulfe... talk to you in a bit

Rob
??????? ?????. ?????? ? ??????!

Washington State > Kansas