MIDWAY movie

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: MIDWAY movie

Post by dragon53 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:31 pm

I just saw MIDWAY and I was disappointed.
I thought if the movie had removed the Pearl Harbor and Doolittle raid, it could have spent more time building up suspense for the Battle of Midway itself. The Charlton Heston movie did a good job of telling the story building up to the Battle of Midway, but ruined the movie with the inaccurate combat footage and the soap opera subplot.

It's too bad the Bruce McKenna (BAND OF BROTHERS) Midway movie was cancelled. His movie was a full-length version of an episode he wrote for THE PACIFIC that was not used because it was too expensive.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:29 am

I actually watched it last night myself, because 1917 wasn't available. I felt it was a little rushed myself by having to include PH and the raid. There were a lot of little scenes that seemed to be stuck in there just to act as transitions but needed a bit more fleshing out. Some were so short I don't even know how vital they were, like throwing a Jonas Brother overboard. Yes, the Japanese likely did that but it didn't really add much to the overall story.

For me it was basically better effects and not quite as cheesy as 70s films used to sometimes get. I can see why it was not the success they hoped it would. I didn't know about the BOB guy's plan but I think I would liked to have seen it instead. Oh well, maybe later.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:17 pm

The scene involving the Bruno character getting in the Dauntless and shooting down the kamikaze bomber as it was about to hit the Enterprise and then being tossed overboard after being captured is real---it's also in one of WW II History Channel documentaries about The Enterprise in WW II.

I'm glad the current movie featured McCluskey and Best since McCluskey was barely mentioned in the Heston movie and Best was totally ignored, as was the USS Nautilus.