Video: soldier cut Humvee parachute straps

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Video: soldier cut Humvee parachute straps

Post by dragon53 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 pm

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Video: soldier cut Humvee parachute straps

Post by dannyc » Sat May 12, 2018 8:24 am

A lot of military personell i have heard think the LT on the Fitzgerald deserves harsher punishment and this guy is getting hit worse since he is an NCO

YT

Post by YT » Sat May 12, 2018 2:33 pm

dannyc wrote:A lot of military personell i have heard think the LT on the Fitzgerald deserves harsher punishment and this guy is getting hit worse since he is an NCO
If he is guilty, the punishment is fitting.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

dannyc wrote:A lot of military personell i have heard think the LT on the Fitzgerald deserves harsher punishment and this guy is getting hit worse since he is an NCO
Their logic is probably driven more by misguided angst than actual facts. The OIC on the deck of the USS Fitzgerald during the accident pleaded guilty and received her punishment betting circumstances that were unfortunate, but not caused by intentional malfeasance. Essentially the occurrences on the Fitzgerald were a lot of complacent individuals not necessarily doing things by the book, compounded with unlucky events and some poor decision-making. It is terrible that that caused people to lose their lives, but there was nothing intentional about the circumstances. The other officers on the vessel, including the skipper, have yet to be sentenced.

Compared to the NCO who intentionally damaged military equipment amounting to a pretty high dollar amount, there is a key difference, intent. He knew what he was doing, and he knew it was wrong. The military Courts Martial are not bound by the civil justice system, but they still take a fair approach to doling out punishment. I believe their conclusion with how to punish the two parties discussed here was fair and suited their crime (again, not the results of said crimes). There is a reason why, in our country, we charge someone with falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone with manslaughter and sentence them to say 2 years, and then sentence someone who sped from police to avoid arrest and endangered many lives (but didn't actually kill anyone) with 5-10 years. The difference is intent, and I am glad that UCMJ still accounts for that in their verdicts and punishment.

-Kevin