F-35 Joint Strike figher info and Wow

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Jolly Roger
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

F-35 Joint Strike figher info and Wow

Post by Jolly Roger » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:16 am

The following are comments regarding the F-35 by Joint Strike Fighter chief test pilot Jon Beesley. Jon Beesley a former U.S. Air Force test pilot was the senior project pilot for the F-22, and is credited with being the first to pilot the F-22 through the sound barrier in 1998.

Beesley has stated that the F-35 will have the electro-optical targeting system and a new distributed aperture system working independently providing long-range detection and precision targeting and a full 360-degree infrared view around the aircraft. The DAS consists of many electronic sensors placed strategically at multiple locations on the aircraft.

Beesley also said that the F-35 is the first aircraft developed in a long time that will not have a heads-up-display. Instead F-35 pilots will wear helmet mounted displays.

"DAS is basically missile launch detectors," Beesely said. "We've got all this information in IR and these [sensors] will paint a picture. So basically we've got DAS sensors all around and they can look everyplace. You can take that imagery, with a helmet, you could put it up in front of your face and you can see in infrared everything that those sensors see."

Theoretically, with enough sensors on the aircraft, a pilot can look down where he would normally see his knees, and essentially see through the structure of the aircraft to a target directly below.

It will also include FLIR (forward looking infra red) and IRST (infra red search and track). This DAS package is currently testing as center line pod on F-16's for recon.

JSF will also have EOTS (electro optical targeting system) to provide long-range detection and precision targeting.

High-resolution images from the multiple DAS sensors will provide a 360-degree spherical view around and through the aircraft, dramatically increasing the pilot's situational awareness for combat and for STOVL operations.
Flights test Electro-Optical sensors for the F-35 JSF

and an AN/APG-81 Multi-Mission Active Electronically Scanned (AESA) Radar also.
AESA = active electronically scanned array.

The F-35A1 should fly in the fall of 2006, the first STOVL aircraft (F-35B) should fly in late 2007, and the F-35B2 is expected to fly early in 2008.The first Navy JSF (F-35C) is scheduled to fly in 2009.

Source: DC Military.Com

this is looking like the next gen of fighter jets... this wold be a awesome Jet to get, and i bet this would be a fun jet to display especially in VTOL landing looks

i forsee this to either be the next hunger Strike.. OR maybe Lockheed will beg someone to make it as well :P
Still withering away from the A-10 Hunger Striker.

roguetiger
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by roguetiger » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:02 am

the F-35 is a great looking fighter. I followed its developement in the jet magazines. Seriously if the F-32 won I could see guys dieing of laughter as it came in for an attack run. The F-35 also didn't have to take off parts to make it VTOL or STOVL or break the sound barrier like the F-32. The main point they said that won them the contract was a video they made of it taking off like a regular fighter and then breaking mach 1 and then landing vertically. They would have taken off vertically but the winds were a little excessive. Image Image

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:58 am

Lately I've begun to wonder if we are making our aircraft "too technical". There expensive to build and maintain. Require lots electronics etc and generally overtask the pilot in my opinion. The russians know this and many of there fighters are designed around old technology that would survive any ECM pulse. An airborne nuclear burst would probably fry the electronics of most airplanes unless they are ECM hardened.

The F-35 is a cool looking airplane but I think its built around the "One plane for everything idea" and when you design on thing for many tasks it seldom excells at any of them.

Best to develop smaller groups of simple specialized aircraft in my opinion.It would be alot cheaper then this I bet.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

steelbonnet
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by steelbonnet » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:32 am

Well I know a few RAF pilots who are looking forward to when these enter service within our forces :D
One of the RAF bases is a possible earmark for a Sqdr for these when they enter service :D

So i`ll be making sure if it is i get to see them :D

After all we`re even building a new carrier for these birds :D

I saw a documentry last year on this aircraft & I was impressed with it.

As for more technically,yes they are & I wonder if any of the Western Airforces still keep up basic instinct fighter attitude for when the electronics go pear shaped (don`t work)?

ja
Steel Bonnet

Teamski
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Teamski » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:58 am

The F-35 is a great plane. However, it was never tested with a payload and for VTOL flight, this is going to be a big, big issue!! I watched the documentary on the competition. There definately are issues that need to be resolved before it becomes anywhere effective. Expect some serious tax $$$$ to iron them out.....

-Ski
[url=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2869983520050168193AYuxRR][img]http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/8785/2869983520050168193S600x600Q85.jpg[/img][/url]

Morian Miner
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Morian Miner » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:30 pm

I think alot of the machines being built and design today forget the lessons of WWII - awesome machines too complex to build en masse and operate lost to simple machines that can be churned out in number, and easy to maintain in the field. But, with simple, you have to accept the possibilities of casualties and money lost, which goes against public opinion.

I always liked the quote from Skunk Works - "why build a Cadillac when you need a Chevy"