Can you ID this tiger?????

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Can you ID this tiger?????

Post by Heer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:01 pm

Thinking normandy or maybe mailly le camp...

Anybody have an educated guess about which heavy ss tank abt. it is in??

Thanks in advance.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

conteaddict
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Can you ID this tiger?????

Post by conteaddict » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 pm

All I can tell you is it Is a late version Tiger 1 from Normandy/the campaign in france. I dont see anything on the tank that could distinctly identify it right off the bat. I know the 101 ss , 102 ss, and 503 heer all fought in the normandy campaign if that helps to lower it down for you.
KANE LIVES
Good Traders: Cabe, Bandit

PAK38
Corporal
Corporal

Post by PAK38 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Appears to be Tiger 211 of the s.SS-Panzer-Abteilung 102 in Normandy. There are pictures of this tank in the book Tiger I on the Western Front by Jean Restayn. The staggered outline numerals are characteristic of this unit.

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:21 pm

This is Tiger 211 from Schwere SS-Panzerabteilung 102, and it's one picture from a sequence taken during the units route march to the Normandy front which started on 21st June '44.

I haven't found any record of its loss, only that on 9th July '44 during an advance towards hill 112 it suffered a mechanical breakdown.

The crewmen with their heads out of the front hatches are either sat on the side sponson or standing on the floor of the hull so they can look out, and also the one with the headphones in the drivers hatch is not actually driving the tank, but helping guide the driver who will be looking out of the visor, a Tiger I could not be driven while looking out of the hatch as neither the controls or drivers seat could be adjusted.

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Mad Sam wrote:...a Tiger I could not be driven while looking out of the hatch as neither the controls or drivers seat could be adjusted.
True. Not the best design choice IMO.