Defenders of the Brest Fortress Movie

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Defenders of the Brest Fortress Movie

Post by ostketten » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:03 am

The Belarus/Russian co-produced film Brest Fortress is set to premier in Moscow on June 22nd 2010, the 65th (I think) anniversary of the Nazi German attack on the Soviet Union. This is a really big deal in Russia and/or the former Soviet republics from a historical perspective, and is reportedly the most expensive movie ever made in Russia and the former Soviet Union. For anyone who has an even mild interest in the "Great Patriotic War", ie. the Russo-German war of 1941-1945, this promises to be an outstanding film. The links below show some static shots from what I believe are the movie production, and a trailer. My only question is when (or if..??) it will be available with English subtitles....

Brest Fortress production Images: http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2010 ... ew-cinema/

Brest Fortress Movie Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yKGsI5 ... r_embedded
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:53 pm

First I thought you were talking about French Brest city.

phil

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:56 pm

First I thought you were talking about French Brest city
Brest, on the French coast... not far from the famous sub pens at Saint Nazaire, Oui...?? I can easily see how someone might be confused or mistaken about this. Perhaps I should have used the World War One name of "Brest-Litovsk", which is somewhat more common because of the post World War One treaty of the same name. It's been said that shortly after the German invasion on June 22nd 1941, and Molotov's speech to the nation, that many Soviet Citizens were said to have wondered.... "Brest....? Where is that...in Poland...??" :( In fact, it was in Poland... the part that the Soviet Union "annexed" in 1939. This movie will probably not get more than a yawn outside of Eastern Europe, Russia, and the former Soviet Republics, but for anyone who has an interest in this sort of thing, as the British say... It should be Smashing. :lol:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

snake

Post by snake » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this,ostketten. :D

Will have to keep an eye out for when it is released.

Bruzilla
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Bruzilla » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am

I won't waste my time going to see it. I'm sure it'll paint the Soviets as being innocent little peaceniks out collecting daisies when those evil Nazis just attacked them out of the blue. There will be no mention of that pesky non-aggression pact, or it's even peskier sub-component that showed the Soviets and Nazis had decided to conquer all of of Europe and split it up between them, or the invasion of Finland, or plans to advance into Sweden and Norway once the Fins were finished.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:32 pm

been watching this one for awhile.

as for release, look at how long the Red baron took, and then after debate of theater or DVD that went on for a year(also from a July to November release) it went to Video
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:21 am

I thought "The Red Baron" was pretty good.Not great,nut worth a watch.

Much better than "Flyboys" :roll:

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm

I won't waste my time going to see it..
I seriously doubt it will be in theatres on this side of the pond anyway, so no worries there. Most likely only available (eventually) on DVD with English subtitles. It doesn't make the Red Army out to be "peaceniks" either, although the Germans did attack without warning, that much of the story is an undisputed historical fact. The action scenes looked pretty good in the trailers I've seen, and it should be worth a look for anyone with an interest in the Soviet-German war, but perhaps you should stick with Rambo.

Lanya
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Defenders of the Brest Fortress Movie

Post by Lanya » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 am

The movie "Brest Fortress" has been a tremendous success at the box office in Russia. The movie theaters actually had to extend the cinema release of this film because of the movie's overwhelming and unprecedented popularity with the public. The reviews have also been very good. You can see the rating on IMDB is very high: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343703/

The movie recreates in almost documentary detail the actual events of 06.22.1941, when Nazi forces invaded the Brest Fortress (then Soviet Union territory, now Belarus). The movie is based on a tremendous body of research of German documents, USSR documents, Belarus documents, interview with survivors, and anthropological on-site research. Almost all the characters in the film are based on real-life people who were actually involved in the events portrayed in this film. In many cases they even cast actors who look very similar to the real-life person who they play in the movie.

The DVD will come out in Russia sometime in January of 2011, and there will be two releases. A regular release and a special edition. The special edition will have two version of the movie: the feature film that was shown in movie theaters and a 4-episode TV series adaptation with additional footage that was cut from the original film as well as some documentary footage added to the movie. It has not yet been officially confirmed that the movie will be released with subtitles, but the producer of the movie has said that he is in talks with certain companies to have the movie be released internationally (meaning on DVD outside of Russia with English subtitles).

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:46 am

It has not yet been officially confirmed that the movie will be released with subtitles, but the producer of the movie has said that he is in talks with certain companies to have the movie be released internationally (meaning on DVD outside of Russia with English subtitles).
That's good news, thanks for posting it. I hope it will come out with subtitles, it is definitely a must have for me. 8)

snake

Post by snake » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:39 pm

ostketten wrote:
It has not yet been officially confirmed that the movie will be released with subtitles, but the producer of the movie has said that he is in talks with certain companies to have the movie be released internationally (meaning on DVD outside of Russia with English subtitles).
That's good news, thanks for posting it. I hope it will come out with subtitles, it is definitely a must have for me. 8)

I certainly hope it will come with subtitles. Looking forward to watching this. Would prefer to watch the extended version, but the theatrical release will work as well. :D

normandy

Post by normandy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:09 am

Lanya, Thank You for the update on this film, it looks very interesting. I'll definitely pick up the DVD when it comes out, And Welcome to the forum!!!