Need help with color and numbers (German Tanks)

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Need help with color and numbers (German Tanks)

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:41 pm

I recently bought these two dragon tanks on ebay from the same battalion and front yet one of the numbers is in black and the other tank is red. Can someone tell me why they are different or if they changed? I was under the assumption they should have been the same across the board.

Here is a link to the two models

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221737764340?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

They are
Dragon 60107
Dragon 60265
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: Need help with color and numbers (German Tanks)

Post by dannyc » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:27 pm

The Three Digit System simply identified the company/platoon/individual vehicle in that order and allowed the commander to direct his units effectively on the battlefield. For example a vehicle numbered "223" would mean: 2nd company - 2nd platoon -3rd vehicle.
A Panzer Divisions Panzer Regiment normally had two Battalions each of four companies and the companies were numbered consecutively from 1 to 8 (prior to 1941 Panzer Divisions could have two Regiments of two Battalions each). Any extra companies added on such as Tiger or Sturmgeschutze simply followed on in the same sequence. Most companies consisted of a HQ and 3 to 4 platoons and each platoon could have four or five vehicles. So how does this translate to the turrets?What did they look like?

At the beginning of the war these numbers were small white markings on a rhomboidal shaped number plate on the sides of AFV’s but as a consequence were hard for the commanders to see. So after Poland large white numbers were used instead but these were too easy to see and, like the Allied White star later in the war, were used as aiming points for enemy anti tank gunners! Back to the drawing board. Finally low visibility markings were developed that commanders could see but the enemy couldn’t, theoretically anyway!
Number Styles
From the flames of war site

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Danny, I knew that part I need to know which color is the correct color for the 502nd. One set of numbers are in red the other black and they are from the same company. Thought an expert could more elaborate.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:46 pm

After the "rhomboid" period early in the war, the numbers became larger as before they were just too small to see at a distance. Colors and styles varied somewhat from unit to unit. An order issued in late 1944 mandated the change to black inside a white border. Thus, my guess is the red tank represents a vehicle issued to Abt 502 in early 1944 or prior and the black tank was issued late 1944.

One of the boxes is marked Kurland, which battle took place in late 1944.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks Cat. That's what I was looking for. I was hoping someone could confirm I searched pics but couldn't find anything. I appreciate the help.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx