The Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank...

This is the place to put those reference links, posts on books, movies, photos, and etc.
ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

The Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank...

Post by ostketten » Tue May 27, 2008 3:16 pm

Just got this book... "The Modelers Guide to the Tiger Tank - a Complete and Comprehensive Guide to Modeling the Tiger I and Tiger II" this is probably the most comprehensive guide to modeling the Tiger series I've encountered, a must have IMO for anyone building a kit or just detailing/modifying a pre-built model. It's primarily intended for the 1/35th kitbuilding crowd, but It should be very useful for pretty much any scale.. The detail they go into with this book is incredible, highly recommended. :D

Modeler's Guide to the Tiger Tank: http://www.rzm.com/magazines/mmir/tiger.cfm
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:02 am

I need to order this :D
thanks for the link.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 am

Bought it last year and it's a must have. This book is realy a bible for those who want to build the perfect Tiger I or II. Do not hesitate to purchase it, you won't regret it !

phil

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:05 pm

I have that book in my collection. Very nice detailed photos.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

Yoxford
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Yoxford » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Have it- love it-Used it extensively while rebuilding the 1/18 FOV Tiger 1
The sign of a great model is that one’s eye is not drawn to any one feature, yet one can study it for hours and continually find something new.

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:54 am

I have had this book for a few years. In this book is proof of the zimmermit on the top glacisas . This book has almost all the info needed to do any detail work on the Tiger 1 and 2.
IT IS A MUST HAVE.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:06 am

this book is proof of the zimmermit on the top glacisas
This is a modelers reference book, a good one for sure, but hardly a comprehensive guide to the history and development of the actual Tiger tank. Modelers can apply all sorts of stuff to their tanks, but it does not neccessarily make it accurate. We already know some real Tigers had Zimm in this location, but it was not factory standard issue, but rather field applied by some crews. Zimm was intended for vertical surfaces only, and for good reason...because it was ineffective (and therefore uneccessary) on horizontal surfaces, however...it sure does look pretty in all the color plates imn modeling books.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:09 am

Another good books is rytons tiger book.

smittyrob64
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by smittyrob64 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:40 pm

Modelling the Tiger Tank is a great for modelling the tiger tank.
It has many diagrams of the various changes Tigers went through during the war as well as nicely reproduced b/w photos of Tigers in the field.

I would have liked to have seen more scratch building ideas in the build section rather than the, "to create this effect use such and such brand parts..."

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:43 am

ostketten wrote:
this book is proof of the zimmermit on the top glacisas
This is a modelers reference book, a good one for sure, but hardly a comprehensive guide to the history and development of the actual Tiger tank. Modelers can apply all sorts of stuff to their tanks, but it does not neccessarily make it accurate. We already know some real Tigers had Zimm in this location, but it was not factory standard issue, but rather field applied by some crews. Zimm was intended for vertical surfaces only, and for good reason...because it was ineffective (and therefore uneccessary) on horizontal surfaces, however...it sure does look pretty in all the color plates imn modeling books.
When the discusstion came up about the Zimm on the top glacis plate , it was said that THEY DID NOT HAVE IT IN THAT LOCATION. In this book there are actual WAR TIME pictures of Tigers WITH IT ON. That is the point I am trying to make. But it is not worth getting ones' feathers ruffled over.
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller