L/F OH-58D KIOWA WARRIOR WEAPONS PYLONS

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
air one
Corporal
Corporal

L/F OH-58D KIOWA WARRIOR WEAPONS PYLONS

Post by air one » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:46 am

Hi guys,
Looking for left and right weapons pylons for that chopper...
Thanks !

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: L/F OH-58D KIOWA WARRIOR WEAPONS PYLONS

Post by granch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:56 am

Hello,
I've also searched hopelessly for replacement pylons and finally decided to make them.
The pylon itself needs a curved aluminium rod, that will have more a "S" shape than the "Z" from the original (breaking risk avoided), but it's not so bad and has the advantage of holding better (without saging) the weapons. So I could hang the heavy double Hellfire launcher from a BBI Apache (found a pic of a Kiowa with Hellfires on 1 side during the Iraki War). Note that you have to flatten the tip of the rod on the side where it goes into the fuselage.
The weapon holder itself has been made with cutting pieces in the black plastic bottom of a 1/18th scale die-cast car box, you need to make 2 triangles, 1 thicker rectangle, cemented together. On the fuselage side of the holder, I've put an iron washer on the rectangle (the rod goes through it) just to simulate what you can see on the genuine part. Copper wire (from an electric line, keep the soft plastic insulating sheath) made the pins that hold the launcher.
All together, this custom work took 90 minutes for 2 pylons + painting work. Here the pics (at the top of the pic, the original "SFOR" Kiowa's pylons)(and on the other pic, the final result on the bird):
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 250434.jpg
https://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/20 ... 250432.jpg
Hope it helps...

air one
Corporal
Corporal

Re: L/F OH-58D KIOWA WARRIOR WEAPONS PYLONS

Post by air one » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi!
Thanks for taking time to enlighten me and thanks for the picture !
I will try to get the original part, but you are right that the part you made are 100% more realistic !
Thanks a lot for your kind help,
Regards,