Looking for BBI 1/18 F16/18 Jet Pilot

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Looking for BBI 1/18 F16/18 Jet Pilot

Post by cnq » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:53 am

I would like to get one for my Merit Harrier. Please let me know if you have spare to sell.

thanks.

A-10LOADER
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Looking for BBI 1/18 F16/18 Jet Pilot

Post by A-10LOADER » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:57 pm

It won't fit. The seat is too close to the Instrument panel.

Steve
OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:55 pm

A-10LOADER wrote:It won't fit. The seat is too close to the Instrument panel.

Steve
Thanks for the info Steve.
I still would like to get the pilot though and thinking about cutting the legs off if he won't fit.
Since he's inside the cockpit nobody could see the legs anyway :P

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:01 pm

Ouch...

...can't you shave the legs down perhaps? Maybe dremel the sides and narrow-down the width and see if that helps.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:37 pm

tpa05 wrote:Ouch...

...can't you shave the legs down perhaps? Maybe dremel the sides and narrow-down the width and see if that helps.
thanks for suggestion but I need to get the pilot first :D

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

1/18 BBI Elite Force pilot

Price:US $12.34

Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping from outside US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-BBI-Elite ... SwnONZBdsa

granch
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by granch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:05 am

When you got it, the first challenge is to remove and cut the canopy, second after removing the ejection seat, to cut and file the rear and bottom of it, third to find a very narrow U shaped brass rail to be able to open and close the canopy. Removing the legs is not a problem, better done with a glass full of water, the pilot bathing in it and put it in the microwave oven for 1-2 minutes. The procedure worked not bad for me (click on the pic to make it bigger):

By the way, the problem is not only that the cockpit is not long anough to house the seat, the pilot and the instrument panel (due to the position of the front undercarriage), but also, the top of the instrument console is horizontal, this is wrong, and so, the HUD is too low... but I didn't want to saw more in my Harrier.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 pm

granch wrote:When you got it, the first challenge is to remove and cut the canopy, second after removing the ejection seat, to cut and file the rear and bottom of it, third to find a very narrow U shaped brass rail to be able to open and close the canopy. Removing the legs is not a problem, better done with a glass full of water, the pilot bathing in it and put it in the microwave oven for 1-2 minutes. The procedure worked not bad for me (click on the pic to make it bigger):

By the way, the problem is not only that the cockpit is not long anough to house the seat, the pilot and the instrument panel (due to the position of the front undercarriage), but also, the top of the instrument console is horizontal, this is wrong, and so, the HUD is too low... but I didn't want to saw more in my Harrier.
wow....that sounds like a lot of work to get the pilot in there....
Thanks for the info

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

skorzeny wrote:1/18 BBI Elite Force pilot

Price:US $12.34

Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping from outside US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-BBI-Elite ... SwnONZBdsa
Yes I saw it too. Thanks.

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wolf8564 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:04 pm

The 1:18th scale BBI F-16 / F-18 Pilot will fit but it will take some Cockpit Correction you will have to pull the Ejection seat and do some cutting of the back shell allowing the seat to go back in its correct placement I did it on my AV-8B Harrier . It takes some doing but is well worth the effort I was able to get mine in with all his arms and legs. If I could figure out how to post photos on this site you could see how I did it

wolf8564
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wolf8564 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:15 pm

skorzeny
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by skorzeny » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:23 pm

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 am

I just soaked my pilot in hot water for a bit and removed the lower legs and got it to fit. My pilot does sit too far forward as I’ve not modified the ejection seat, but it was easy enough to get the pilot in. Carefully prying off the canopy is the tricky (and somewhat scary) part of the operation...
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks guys.

tman,
What did you use to pry off the canopy to avoid damage to it ? It looks like they glue my canopy down pretty good.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 pm

cnq, I used an exacto knife and a good deal of patience!

But the canopy process is a bit of a long story for me... I bought my first harrier from a local hobby store, got it home, was trying to remove the canopy, almost had it, and then it cracked apart! I was so PO’ed that I went and bought another Harrier and was able to remove the canopy on that one fairly easily. Thankfully I was also able to sell my plane with the busted canopy on eBay and so made a little money back.

Anyways, using an exacting knife, try to find a gap between the canopy and fuselage and slowly work with the knife around, twisting it, to gradually loosen the part. The canopy is glued to a little ridge that runs on either side of the cockpit and to the canopy’s baseplate that is fixed to the fuselage behind the cockpit. You can see the ridge in one of Granch’s pictures above. The rear sliding section is thankfully a separate piece from the front windscreen (Which makes it all the more strange as to why Merit glued the canopy in place). Once the canopy is removed, you can easily pry off the baseplate, which is held on by a couple small pegs, and glue it to the inside of the canopy. I would also recommend putting some tape or cloth over the tops of the intakes so you don’t risk scratching the paint with the exacto knife.

Otherwise, that’s pretty much how I did it :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Thank you tman.