The new Napster...3D printing....

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

The new Napster...3D printing....

Post by AV-8B Driver » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:24 pm

3D printing services are the new Napster and they are under the spotlight. There is a agreement you sign when you join that states that no copyrighted or IP property cannot be uploaded or sold without licensing rights or permission, and when you see a possible violation, you have to report it.

Taylor Swift Threatened Shapeways after busts of her were being sold with her name.

20th Century Fox got Shape ways too. Someone uploaded some kind of item from a movie and within 18 hours, 20th Century Fox ordered Shapeways to take it off. Each time the file was downloaded a federal crime was committed for those that sold it.

Raytheon ordered that all it's products be removed,
Yet they pop back up again.

I read where more and more, these 3D printing services are under the eye of investigators because if you buy a item off Shapeways, you are not buying it from a licensed mfg. They are ordering the items be removed and demanding that an effort be made to prevent the distribution of counterfit, and unlicensed products. If that don't work, maybe they will go after the sellers...ouch..that could bankrupt someone for life.

If 21st Century Fox found it in 18 hours, they probably googled it.

This will get interesting as 3D printers gain the capability to make anything and the files are free or can be bought. It may ruin mfg companies and so many businesses that rely on merchandising rights, like Lucasarts , Hasbro, Mattel, Sony Pictures, Disney......

You used to be able to 3D print you own firearm. I have the file for the lower receiver of the Ar-15, printed it and got 300 rounds out before it stopped cycling. Now printing these are illegal, even if you add some metal in it. It's because the Gun Lobbyists are afraid of loosing sales.... Hmm.. Will printing a model for your own use become illegal?

I saw a 3D printer, printed by a 3D printer !! Wow
We are poor little lambs, who have lost our way.. Baa... BAA ..baa..

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: The new Napster...3D printing....

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 am

AV-8B Driver wrote:3D printing services are the new Napster and they are under the spotlight. There is a agreement you sign when you join that states that no copyrighted or IP property cannot be uploaded or sold without licensing rights or permission, and when you see a possible violation, you have to report it.

Taylor Swift Threatened Shapeways after busts of her were being sold with her name.

20th Century Fox got Shape ways too. Someone uploaded some kind of item from a movie and within 18 hours, 20th Century Fox ordered Shapeways to take it off. Each time the file was downloaded a federal crime was committed for those that sold it.

I read where more and more, these 3D printing services are under the eye of investigators because if you buy a item off Shapeways, you are not buying it from a licensed mfg. They are ordering the items be removed and demanding that an effort be made to prevent the distribution of counterfit, and unlicensed products. If that don't work, maybe they will go after the sellers...ouch..that could bankrupt someone for life.

This will get interesting as 3D printers gain the capability to make anything and the files are free or can be bought. It may ruin mfg companies and so many businesses that rely on merchandising rights, like Lucasarts , Hasbro, Mattel, Sony Pictures, Disney......

You used to be able to 3D print you own firearm. I have the file for the lower receiver of the Ar-15, printed it and got 300 rounds out before it stopped cycling. Now printing these are illegal, even if you add some metal in it. It's because the Gun Lobbyists are afraid of loosing sales.... Hmm.. Will printing a model for your own use become illegal?

It is not worth it....Sell only GP items unless you can obtain Merchandising rights. That's why there is no General Dynamics GAU-12 Equalizer on the Merit Harrier II.

Dear AV-8B Driver,

I am afraid that you have an illusionary picture of what 3D printing actually is and that you are quite misinformed on how Shapeways works.

Nobody downloads files or copyrighted material from Shapeways

As long as a 3D CAD designer creates a 3 dimensional digital model and upload it on a library such as Shapeways, he/she has the right to "rent" it on Shapeways lab and sell it. It is a place for digital artists to print their creations and let other people buy it.

Since you already sent your text on another thread too about 1/18 scale 3D products on Shapeways designed by Anyuta 3D printed scale models, let me inform you that "Anyuta 3D" founded back on 2012 and originally operated solely on digital projects for use in industrial construction, later expanded into the scale modeling hobby too by designing & manufacturing complete scale models, after market kits and accessories for the modeller who seeks something different. Nowdays, “Anyuta 3D” apart from it’s own retail scale modeling related products, also creates complete 3D printed model kits or partial 3D digital designs on behalf of international scale model companies or custom work for individual customers such as museums & collectors. "Anyuta 3D" already designs CAD projects as a commision work for international scale model companies, in order to be mass produced as an injection molded kit, available for sale into your local hobby shop.

As for the "General Dynamics VS Merit" issue for the AV-8 Harrier II GAU-12 Equalizer, please allow me to strongly doubt. If so, all the hobbyshops Worldwide should be declared as illegall because they sell scale models of actual aircrafts built by General Dynamics. By same way, all scale modelers and hobbyists Worldwide, should be arrested and convicted... for buying plastic toy airplanes and have fun to build them without take permission from General Dynamics first.

If you are not misguided, misinformed (which I could understand) by completely irrelevant sources on copyright law and 3D printing legal rights, I consider your comments as potentially malicious and spiteful.

I've also noticed that you are spreading some "news" about some "upcoming scale models ban" due some (imaginary) legal controversies of scale model factories with military industries and aircraft factories. You opened a thread HERE by the title "Plastic Aircraft Model Kits are Going Away " refering to some "article" which supposed it was published on January 2005. In few words you (following the article) describe that in near future the scale model factories will not have the right to manufacture plastic toy planes because they are not allowed by General Dynamics, Raytheon etc.

Well, I have news for you!...

The text you sent by the title "Plastic Aircraft Model Kits are Going Away" which you found somewhere on internet... is actually a HOAX! A joke! A prank! A well known lie, stupidly copied & pasted over and over again all these years, widely spread on internet since 2002 (if not earlier) and now we have 2016 !!!

May I also remind that on 2002 (when the "here comes the end of scale models" hoax text first appeared), the term "3D printer" or "3D printing" was completely unknown to the public? Sorry mate, you 've been a victim of a hoax. The worst part is that you keep spreading the fake "news" like it it actually real, without even try to confirm the reliability of your sources and that is the most disappointing.

Long story short? Better have an idea on what you are talking about, before spreading bullshit around.

PS. Only in the US will you find people who think the moon landing was fake and wrestling is real

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:53 am

Nick_Karatzides wrote:
AV-8B Driver wrote:3D printing services are the new Napster and they are under the spotlight. There is a agreement you sign when you join that states that no copyrighted or IP property cannot be uploaded or sold without licensing rights or permission, and when you see a possible violation, you have to report it.

It is not worth it....Sell only GP items unless you can obtain Merchandising rights. That's why there is no General Dynamics GAU-12 Equalizer on the Merit Harrier II.

Dear AV-8B Driver,

I am afraid that you have an illusionary picture of what 3D printing actually is and that you are quite misinformed on how Shapeways works.

Nobody downloads files or copyrighted material from Shapeways

As long as a 3D CAD designer creates a 3 dimensional digital model and upload it on a library such as Shapeways, he/she has the right to "rent" it on Shapeways lab and sell it. It is a place for digital artists to print their creations and let other people buy it.

Since you already sent your text on another thread too about 1/18 scale 3D products on Shapeways designed by Anyuta 3D printed scale models, let me inform you that "Anyuta 3D" founded back on 2012 and originally operated solely on digital projects for use in industrial construction, later expanded into the scale modeling hobby too by designing & manufacturing complete scale models, after market kits and accessories for the modeller who seeks something different. Nowdays, “Anyuta 3D” apart from it’s own retail scale modeling related products, also creates complete 3D printed model kits or partial 3D digital designs on behalf of international scale model companies or custom work for individual customers such as museums & collectors. "Anyuta 3D" already designs CAD projects as a commision work for international scale model companies, in order to be mass produced as an injection molded kit, available for sale into your local hobby shop.

As for the "General Dynamics VS Merit" issue for the AV-8 Harrier II GAU-12 Equalizer, please allow me to strongly doubt. If so, all the hobbyshops Worldwide should be declared as illegall because they sell scale models of actual aircrafts built by General Dynamics. By same way, all scale modelers and hobbyists Worldwide, should be arrested and convicted... for buying plastic toy airplanes and have fun to build them without take permission from General Dynamics first.

If you are not misguided, misinformed (which I could understand) by completely irrelevant sources on copyright law and 3D printing legal rights, I consider your comments as potentially malicious and spiteful.

I've also noticed that you are spreading some "news" about some "upcoming scale models ban" due some (imaginary) legal controversies of scale model factories with military industries and aircraft factories. You opened a thread HERE by the title "Plastic Aircraft Model Kits are Going Away " refering to some "article" which supposed it was published on January 2005. In few words you (following the article) describe that in near future the scale model factories will not have the right to manufacture plastic toy planes because they are not allowed by General Dynamics, Raytheon etc.

Well, I have news for you!...

The text you sent by the title "Plastic Aircraft Model Kits are Going Away" which you found somewhere on internet... is actually a HOAX! A joke! A prank! A well known lie, stupidly copied & pasted over and over again all these years, widely spread on internet since 2002 (if not earlier) and now we have 2016 !!!

May I also remind that on 2002 (when the "here comes the end of scale models" hoax text first appeared), the term "3D printer" or "3D printing" was completely unknown to the public? Sorry mate, you 've been a victim of a hoax. The worst part is that you keep spreading the fake "news" like it it actually real, without even try to confirm the reliability of your sources and that is the most disappointing.

Long story short? Better have an idea on what you are talking about, before spreading bullshit around.

PS. Only in the US will you find people who think the moon landing was fake and wrestling is real
First, you clearly did not understand that I was referring to intellectually protected property, not user creations. Second, you were quite the arrogant pompous jerk. Just as you claimed that I should be informed before I talk about a subject, you should be sure you comprehend what is being said.

I clearly referred to creations that violated copyright laws as they were created to be sold or shared. Weather on Shapeways or GrabCAD. Copyright protects literary, artistic, musical and dramatic 2D works, as well as some 3D works such as statues, 3D visual designs, and images. Thus, when I referred to a AIM-9 Sidewinder, Raytheon owns the copyright to its 2D, 3D visual and image designs

I referred to THREE cases where items were uploaded, sold, or downloaded and all three fell under intellectual property and there for it was illegal to make and sell, or distribute the files.

If you had the capability to reason and understand that when I stated :

You would be able to understand that my point was that a person may make whatever they want and not have to go buy a item that was manufactured under license and merchandising rights. If they wanted a Barbie Doll, they could make one rather than buy it from a store.

3D printing can also potentially harm the copyright owner’s right to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or prepare derivative works based on the copyrighted work because CAD files, like MP3s, are very easy to transfer and copy. The owner of a 3D printer simply needs to acquire the CAD file that contains the design and download it to the printer. Because the main purpose of copyright is to cover “creative works” or tangible expressions, the greatest impact may be felt in the toy industry. Instead of purchasing a Minnie Mouse doll from the store, an owner of a 3D printer could acquire the design through an online library of designs and make it herself. I cannot fathom that copyright violations such as these examples were used as examples of the problems in store for individuals who either own a trademark, copyright, or patent, and those who either willingly or unwillingly violate the law.

I was not "misguided, misinformed by completely irrelevant sources on copyright law and 3D printing legal rights, as you incorrectly assume. Then that is your problem and arrogant conclusion that to consider my comments as potentially malicious and spiteful. Why would I be spiteful toward you when I don't even know you, and why would you consider the comments malicious when I have no reason to be. You are quite something else.

"Well, I have news for you!...

May I also remind that on 2002 (when the "here comes the end of scale models" hoax text first appeared), the term "3D printer" or "3D printing" was completely unknown to the public? Sorry mate, you 've been a victim of a hoax. The worst part is that you keep spreading the fake "news" like it it actually real, without even try to confirm the reliability of your sources and that is the most disappointing."

Can you u read? Yes I did post that article and it was dated 2005, not 2002. I mistakenly glazed over the 0, 2005 2015. An easy mistake but I guess your perfect. I also did not title the post "Plastic Aircraft Model Kits are Going Away". I stated that it was a bad article in the subject line after ....No more models??"

"The worst part is that you keep spreading the fake "news" like it it actually real, without even try to confirm the reliability of your sources and that is the most disappointing." is nothing more than a creation of your arrogant, imaginary, childish mind, as is your continued fabrications that I stated "In few words you (following the article) describe that in near future the scale model factories will not have the right to manufacture plastic toy planes because they are not allowed by General Dynamics, Raytheon etc.". You are quite the expert at inventing a story." Again....wow.. I was referring to the fact the licensing costs may have risen and made it difficult to make a profit, not that these corporations would deny licensing. Now who is inventing a story?? It seems you like to type whatever comes through your penile brain with no filter for accuracy.

You take the cake with this one..."As for the "General Dynamics VS Merit" issue for the AV-8 Harrier II GAU-12 Equalizer, please allow me to strongly doubt. If so, all the hobbyshops Worldwide should be declared as illegall because they sell scale models of actual aircrafts built by General Dynamics. By same way, all scale modelers and hobbyists Worldwide, should be arrested and convicted... for buying plastic toy airplanes and have fun to build them without take permission from General Dynamics first."

Really? Again I was referring to models made in a home or business without merch rights with the intent to sell or distribute them. I also referred the the GAU-12 because I was curious as to why it was left out when it was on virtually every loadout, and perhaps Merit could not afford the license. How the heck did you come up with the assumption that someone needed permission to assemble a model they bought from a hobby store?

What is wrong with you? Either you have a problem reading sentences, remembering what you read, enjoy fabrications, have no reasoning ability, or are very angry at your lot in life. Whats funny is that people will probably laugh at your post due to your inability to read and simply piss out words with no thought.

Long story short? Better have an idea on what was communicated and understand what you read before spreading bullshit around.

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:44 am

Guys please calm down let's not bicker over such things

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:47 am

dannyc wrote:Guys please calm down let's not bicker over such things

ADMIN EDIT - Unnecessary

dannyc
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by dannyc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:15 am

AV-8B Driver wrote:

The dude was a complete prick. I wonder if he was born that way, or if he worked it in his whole life.
That's no excuse for language like that man

Nick_Karatzides
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Nick_Karatzides » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:56 am

AV-8B Driver wrote:
.... I wonder if he was born that way, or if he worked it in his whole life.
@ AV-8B Driver,

You came uninvited into a thread where people were interested to find 1/18 scale accessories and aircraft ordnance miniatures (while I - as a forum member - offered them the chance to get 3D printed products) and you spread some "...beware, dont buy from Shapeways because it is illegal..." warnings, just because you read some hoax bullshit and you believed that like a naive you are... and you called me "...a complete prick..."? As I said before, you've been fooled by hoax. You've been a victim and you believed any bullshit you read on internet without taking the time to check & verify. The sooner you accept it, the happier you'll be. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We really appreciate the feedback, and will definitely take it to heart.

People say that "...the idiot persists, the cunning tries to justify and the smart admits his mistakes...". Well mate, you're out of competition due your congenital idiocy - I cannot confront a stupid, since stupidity has always been the supreme weapon.

AV-8B Driver
Corporal
Corporal

Post by AV-8B Driver » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Edited: vulgar language

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:53 pm

Again... let's cool it on this subject. I'm not at home right now to properly respond to both of you so I'm going to lock this thread. AV8B driver, I will ask you to please calm it with the name calling. That is NOT necessary to get your point across. I understand you're upset and passionate about this subject buy we can all be civil here... This applies to both of you. Nick has already messaged me by private message, I will ask you to do the same AV8B driver to further this discussion. I'm going to ask that neither of you two to post about this subject again until we get this sorted out.