Ever just freaking lose interest in your stuff?

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
mikeg
Officer - Brigadier General

Ever just freaking lose interest in your stuff?

Post by mikeg » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:02 pm

just think of the front suspension parts I could get for my 535i, the ac vacuum pod replacement on my 300te wagon, some minor home improvements, new sofa or rugs, gas money for my cars, anniversary or birthday gifts for the wife and family, and all that shiznip.
If it wasn't for all the time I spent rearranging and decorating the basement, the shelving looking so freaking appropriate, and the fact that I'm just used to seeing the stuff just sitting there, I'd probably sell everything like a crack whore...
Really, does y'alls life revolve around this stuff or what? (and I'm one to ask a question like that)

I've had a few beers tonight, so tomorrow I'll deny this post in its entirety and proving me to be a liar doesn't bother me in the least.. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

what would you consider selling- The 21st 32nd AC incl BBi, The 21st 32nd armor, The 18th tanks- vehicles and artillery long since sold. 18th AC, I just don't know
Last edited by mikeg on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

YT

Re: Ever just freaking lose interest in your stuff?

Post by YT » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:37 pm

I've been a little bored with my 1:18 I may sell some duplicates. I have been buying a lot of 1/6 lately. That scale is flourishing.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

YT

Post by YT » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

My HO 229 has me a little re-engaged though.
"There are some people who disagree with me, they are wrong." --Gen George S. Patton

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Get rid of the 535i. Then you will have more time and money for toys. You have to prioritize what is important. :lol:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:31 pm

I feel the same way. I have a pretty huge Star wars collection that I wish would go away some days. As my 1:72 Diecast has started taking over. :?
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 am

There are those in this hobby and others who suffer from "seller's regrets" :( and want to kick themselves later for parting with things they thought they had lost interest in only to start over again to re-aquire the stuff. Always tougher and more expensive the second time around. Seems it's always easier to get rid of things than to get them back. :) Same holds true for failing to pull the trigger and buy something that doesn't come around again for sale or trade. I've done that recently with no beer involved. :x

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:50 am

I would not suffer long from the "seller's regret" syndrome; knowing the effort involved in find them again and paying 2 or 3 times what I bought them for when new; I just don't think so.. Times, interests, finances have changed to much to allow something like that to happen.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 am

Good for you :!: I dumped baseball cards back in the 1990's and never looked back. No regrets at all. :) I do have historical ties to this hobby though so I'm more careful in my decisions. No baseball player is a hero to me, but those WWII Veterans I know, yes! Just lost another one this weekend. Very sad. Never forget :!:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

tpa05
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by tpa05 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:57 am

Mike I was prepared to write a cute little soliloquy in response to your earlier thoughts. Instead I'll just say simply - "Thanks". In fact I noticed I was noddin' as I was typing.

Black_Dragon_One

Post by Black_Dragon_One » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:20 am

feel u r pain...keep what u know u love .. walk a way from the hobbies for 3 months...then come back if you feel the same then decide then..
whats up doc....

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 am

My problem is that I have run out of room. My models and ongoing projects .... do they ever stop? and while Mrs. TTT (the trusting soul) believes it when I tell her "one in and one out", it's actually "two in and one old one out". It's not my fault when great buys pop up. In March, I've bought another SdKfz 250, a DML Jeep, a half built DML PzII and another 21C Command Car, all in 1/6. Out went a Hasbro Jeep and a 1/18 M-16 Half track. Great buys but stuff does not balance out, and another CC is coming up.

I love my desk in the midst of my "stuff" and now I'm feeling like a Colliers (hoarders for you young guys) walking around my stuff.

I'm looking into an extra house, just waiting for one near my present house, to store my overflow and even an extra garage for maybe a workshop or maybe a 1/1 military vehicle. I'm getting the fever back..... :roll:

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by TankAce » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:18 pm

I only had the feeling to sell all my 1/18 collection when i see all the new stuff in 1/16 coming out recently.Of course,if i sell it one day i will spend the money on 1/16 WWII.
My interest has been kept alive thanks to those 1/18 resin kits steadily produced by Pickelhaube,Battle ground toys,the Hun,plastic boy and Flyboy.There will always be something new each year.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:27 pm

"Ever just freaking lose interest in your stuff?"

No, never. If possible, i think my passion has grown over the years.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Hmmm, I cannot say I never have, I went through a period about 8 years ago where other interests took precedence, and I sold 90% of my collection. In the end though I found myself regretting the decision and buying it all back and then some. Since that time I haven't lost interest at all. Even when life gets in the way at times, and i don't have as much time for it I will still keep up on things here and at least walk by my displays and "marvel" in how much I really love this hobby :D

-Kevin

plasticboy
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticboy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am

Quite struggling in 1/18 for me now, because 1/18 never been success in the market that the price is all the way up now. I figure out people are throw out their 1/18 for sale which means 1/18 collector keep shrinking from time to time, the international shipping always killing my passion, but I still love to making figure for my 1/18 toys or people who interested, probably someday I might jump to 1/16 R/C tank or making 1/16 figure. :roll:
Have fun with toys forever!
http://weylent.blogspot.com/

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:53 pm

I agree Kevin. I too marvel at my collection. At times just viewing some of my collection allows me to escape the day to day grind. Furthermore there is truly something special about the hunt.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 pm

If in the far future I do lose interest, I think I will reflect back and conclude that I had a fun time while it lasted. I would probably sell most of my collection but keep a few key pieces for cuddling in my casket.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am

I usually I collect for 5 years then move on to something different.

I would sell off that collection then use that money to but something of new interest.

I AWAYS, ALWAYS , ALWAYS have sellers regret ALWAYS.

Especially when I see an item being sold OR PUBLISHED ON THE FRONT PAGE OF A COLLECTORES MAGAZINE. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had a choice Nazi Helmet displayed that I traded for a pickelhaube.

Now I am selling my stuff and I HATE DOING IT.

HATE IT, HATE IT , HATE IT.

True almost all of the stuff I am selling has been in the shop's attic for years now.

Some of the pieces I have I did not know that I have/had.

But it seems that I am getting a premium price on e-bay so the hurt does not go deep.

Until I see the e-bay bill then the hurt feels like a stab with a knife twisting in my chest.

This economy SUCKS !!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

pickelhaube

Post by pickelhaube » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 am

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

Jnewboy

Post by Jnewboy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 am

I say if you "need" money, sell your toys. There is no shame in that, its the right thing to do. That said like many stated most of you will just use the money to buy different toys. I also know that there are lots of ways to make money and confining yourself to one source of income is a harsh existence at times so stay flexible, develop a back-up profession/job and reward yourself by keeping your toys. :D

Stay thirsty my friends :wink:

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:28 pm

I've been collecting XD and 21c items since they were first out 12 years ago. (Thats a long time when I think about it!) I was into Star Wars, GI Joe, and some other small-scale military items before then.

I'd like to say that my military collection tends to be flexible. There are some items I'll never let go, some I've gotten rid of, and others I've gotten rid of, but then re-added to my collection. Overall, I tend to hang on to things and rarely sell off items. When I do, I tend to get rid of duplicate items or things I've not used for some time usually to clear space. If I make some extra money, that is always nice and it often goes towards new toys/models.

My military collection has only grown over the past decade and has become more diverse in scale and variety.

There are, however, other areas where I've really slacked off collecting. Namely these would be Star Wars and GI Joe. I went crazy with the GI Joe 25th anniversary stuff a few years ago, but there has hardly been anything of interest to me as of late. Star Wars has kind of been the same way, but less-so than GI Joe. There are random SW figures from various waves that I like and try to get and if they make a really cool ship, I'll consider it, but otherwise, not much has interested me as of late. Its too crazy following each wave, let alone trying to track it down at retail. Never mind that figures in both the GI Joe and Star Wars lines are now exceeding $10! Nevertheless, even with those items, I tend to be slow to loose interest and get rid of them...

It kind of scares me to think of what will happen if I have to move. My storage attic in particular is packed pretty tightly and there are some corners where there's items I've not seen in years :shock:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by trigger1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Over the past few months I have started to thin my 1:18 collection. Partly because I have lost some interest and partly for money. My job was very unsteady over the past year and my wife really wanted me to start selling my collection for some extra cash. A lot of my stuff is boxed and packed in closets and my basement. I started to go through my collection and realized that I had a lot more stuff than I thought. I reluctantly started selling some planes and vehicles, but after a week of selling I actually started to feel good about the extra space and money. I plan to keep selling my collection, but have some items in different scales that I will never let go. I have had a great time collecting and will still grab some pieces when they catch my eye. Sell a few items and see how you feel about it. You may end up with a new appreciation for you collection or you might realize it's time to move on.
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 am

Well since I got in late on the game and you could call me a scale wh**e, because I get whatever catches my eye, I have'nt lost interest yet, but I have other things that keep me busy, so it balances out, as others have said, it nice to just go and look at my collection, makes me forget how my day my have been sour 8)

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 pm

I can't see myself selling my WWII armor and planes, but I have several other collections I would probably sell off or break apart if I had to. I've already sold all my Magic the Gathering card sets, but I did keep certain cards to play with my friends and family - just not going for complete sets anymore. With my VW stuff I'm going to get rid of anything not directly Type 2 (the bus) related, i.e. Beetles, Ghias, Fastbacks, etc. I have a few hundred vinyl records to sell now that I have everything digitized.

The science fiction paperback collection will be the hardest. I've had some of those books for almost 35 years and I have lots of OOP crap, but I have a lot of them in one version or another on Kindle and quite frankly I expect to die without having read them all (over 2000 now NOT including ebooks) and some were made with cheap glue and ink so they are deteriorating past readability anyway.

I have been looking at them, trying to think of which I would let go of first, but it's difficult because I primarily collected iconic or very unusual works. I collected a lot of books with cover art by noted illustrators like Frank Frazetta and Kelly Freas. I have entire runs of "The Year's Best..."-type anthologies. I have all the Robert E. Howard books from the 80's with the fold-out maps and tons of first printings. So far the only necks on the chopping block are Marion Zimmer Bradley, Tanith Lee and Anne McCaffrey - and I'm leery of those because of the 1st prints in each bundle. I sincerely hope my daughters show interest in them soon, but Asimov's Foundation series doesn't seem to have theappeal of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

And I can relate to Pickelhaube with the hate. When I started selling my early Dungeons & Dragons stuff I would get a little sick to my stomach, especially when I had to break up my Dragon magazine collection which was complete up to issue 322 (the issues past #25 drop drastically in value and people only pay pennies for them).

Can't sell my HO scale VW buses from Germany as I collect only the special editions - only 500 made worldwide of each run. Most of what I have never comes up for sale anywhere, I fear I'd never be able to replace them at any price, and they all were purchased under special circumstances so there is sentiment attached to each one as well.

Oh, the agony and the ecstasy of collecting.

mike, hope you reach a satisfactory resolution to your dilemma.