New in Unopened Box Important or Not ?

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
pickelhaube
Officer - Brigadier General

New in Unopened Box Important or Not ?

Post by pickelhaube » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:46 am

Hey Guys Things are starting to get tight right now so i need to start liquidating.

When posting on e-bay taking pics of the item to be sold turn out sort of vague.

The easiest option is to pull the item out of the box take pics then put it back.

But by doing so the item is no longer " in the unopened box "

Is the unopened box a deal breaker for the average collector.

It is not like opening a blister pack.

Input NEEDED !!!!!!!
Kirk Douglas : Mine hit the ground first
John Wayne : Mine was taller

PanzerArm

Re: New in Unopened Box Important or Not ?

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:05 am

Leave it in the box PH! It is not a big deal to me personally, but I know that the NIB pieces fetch the bigger prices. If you want a good picture, I would just take a picture of the item in the box and list it that way and just describe the item well, or search completed listings and/or google for out of box pictures and use that for your listing. And just so you know, the description/ title is far more important than the picture. If you want to get the most people to look at your listing, and therefore maximize potential selling price, is to include the right words in your title and description.

Just my 2 ¢

-Kevin

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

PanzerArm wrote:Leave it in the box PH! It is not a big deal to me personally, but I know that the NIB pieces fetch the bigger prices. If you want a good picture, I would just take a picture of the item in the box and list it that way and just describe the item well, or search completed listings and/or google for out of box pictures and use that for your listing. And just so you know, the description/ title is far more important than the picture. If you want to get the most people to look at your listing, and therefore maximize potential selling price, is to include the right words in your title and description.

Just my 2 ¢

-Kevin
Agreed! I prefer my stuff NIB and unopened.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:11 am

I usually know what I am looking for when I go to buy it. I cringe when I see someone opens it to take pictures. I would leave it in the box.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 am

cjg476 wrote:I usually know what I am looking for when I go to buy it. I cringe when I see someone opens it to take pictures. I would leave it in the box.
Couldn't agree more. NIB and note that the box is still factory sealed when possible.

exether_mega
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by exether_mega » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:33 am

For my point of view, I don't care if the box has been opened or not as far as the item is mint and complete.

phil

worldwar2buff
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by worldwar2buff » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:47 pm

I agree with previous posters in that someone looking to buy in this hobby usually knows what they are looking for so I think it's more important to keep it in the box and deal with less than perfect pictures.

That being said, I literally just sold a Flying Tigers P-40 about 1 hour ago on Ebay and it was displayed but put back in the box (had picture of it loose and put together and then picture of it back in the box). I had a buy it now of $80. It had a bunch of bids and sold for $133.
Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in other, body thoroughly worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO” what a ride!

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I usually am selling multiples so I take pics of the item and then take pics of the box, specifing that the one pictured out of the box is not the one for sale.

Pics are great only if they are good clear pics with a good background. I've made far more money on items pictured outside than inside with a nice setting.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Really???? more than 3/4s of the posters so far want their items new in box? Maybe I'm one of the few without an ebay account or internet shipping bidness of sorts, but darn, that just seems kind of odd to me. I have to display all the 18th AC I acquire- there are distinct differences in collectors, aren't there.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:50 pm

I just use common sense.

A. If the MIB item still has factory sealed tape, I do not take the product out. And, on Ebay ad description, I let people know that it still has factory sealed tape.

B. Even if some items are MIB, and if there is no factor sealed tape, I take the product out. The main purpose is to inspect the item. I need to make sure there is no damage or blemish. 95% of the time, I take MIB item out for inspection. Then, on Ebay ad description, I state the following, "MIB. Never displayed. Taken out once for an inspection. Then, immediately put back in the box." As long as you are honest with description, I never had any problem selling items as MIB and getting a premium price.

Fellow collectors are familiar with items you are selling. As long as your description and the item condition match, there shouldn't be any problem.

I hope this helps.

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 pm

With very few exceptions, the bidders on eBay that throw around big bucks are not that familiar with what they are bidding on. They think either:
1- What they are bidding on is super rare or just super nice looking.
or
2- They think they can double their money buying as an investment.

You never see ridiculous prices right here on this BST forum. Members here know what these pieces are worth. EBay is where the money is.

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 pm

I guess I'm not what you would call a die-hard collector, I do have a few items still in the box, but very few :lol:

I enjoy opening and putting my stuff out, even if it is just me that gets to see it, I do understand that monetarily things untouched in the box are probably worth more, I just can't help myself :oops:

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:08 am

tparkhere wrote:I just use common sense.

A. If the MIB item still has factory sealed tape, I do not take the product out. And, on Ebay ad description, I let people know that it still has factory sealed tape.

B. Even if some items are MIB, and if there is no factor sealed tape, I take the product out. The main purpose is to inspect the item. I need to make sure there is no damage or blemish. 95% of the time, I take MIB item out for inspection. Then, on Ebay ad description, I state the following, "MIB. Never displayed. Taken out once for an inspection. Then, immediately put back in the box." As long as you are honest with description, I never had any problem selling items as MIB and getting a premium price.

Fellow collectors are familiar with items you are selling. As long as your description and the item condition match, there shouldn't be any problem.

I hope this helps.
>>> I can agree w/ this ... You can have something NRFB or MIB and the item has all kinds of QC issues w/ it. Then they can slap you w/ a Not as Described case. It pays to be honest.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Greetings:

With all due respect, leaving it in the box to me is like buying something to hoard it. I have never bought anything to hold onto in the grand hope the value will increase by having it sit in its box collecting dust. I take everything out, display it, share it with friends and enjoy it.

As long as you keep the boxes I don't think it makes much difference. I rectly sold all my K&C pieces and did very well with them even though they had been on display/returned to the box.

I just like having my stuff on display. Think it is really stupid to buy something and not display it and enjoy it.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:49 pm

Coreyeagle48 wrote:Greetings:

With all due respect, leaving it in the box to me is like buying something to hoard it. I have never bought anything to hold onto in the grand hope the value will increase by having it sit in its box collecting dust. I take everything out, display it, share it with friends and enjoy it.

As long as you keep the boxes I don't think it makes much difference. I rectly sold all my K&C pieces and did very well with them even though they had been on display/returned to the box.

I just like having my stuff on display. Think it is really stupid to buy something and not display it and enjoy it.

Corey
The question wasn't whether to leave it in the box or take it out as a means of possession, but what method sells better. It is my experience that if you try and sell a piece NIB as opposed to out of the box you'll get more for it. People looking for a deal, like me, go for the out of box displayed versions because it makes no difference to me personally, but their are plenty of people out there that insist on owning a brand new version, never touched by another person, and the prices go up accordingly. I guess it gives those NIB buyers either the assurance that it is not broken or covered in dust, or they are those people as you mentioned that like to hoard items.

A key example is FOV T34s. Loose versions go for $80-$120. MIB or even just NIB, with the packaging/accessories just cracked open to display go for upward of $160. I sold a Berlin version MIB for $200.

Keep it in the box PH.

-Kevin
Last edited by PanzerArm on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Greetings:

I think keeping it unopened has it drawbacks though. Especially in the case of most of the items we seem to deal with here, which can at least be carefully opened and slid out on their trays or whatever to at least ascertain the condition.

Good example of this, over the summer I bought a NKK Spitfire listed MIB on Ebay. When I got the plane, it had some major QC problems and one of the poorest paint jobs I have ever seen on a 21st airplane. This transaction which was for a good deal of money turned out to be a disaster in terms of a buy. The aircraft was eventually sold to be made into a custom piece it was that bad. In this case, the issues would have CLEARLY been seen had the seller opened the flap and gave the tray a slide out. I have reason to believe that this seller may have actually seen these issues, but that's an entirely different story.

This experience changed my buying tactics. I will never again buy MIB from a seller unless it is 1.) someone I trust or 2.) a place it can be returned and exchanged if need be. Just too many unknowns especially with a piece that is out of production like a 21c item. I've gotten really nice loose pieces lately for my displays from some good people.

I guess MIB is good and all but I'd get kind of pissed if I bought something MIB and found it to have issues and major ones. Again these planes aren't perfect, but in the case of this Spitfire the problems were MAJOR. I think if I ever sell anything MIB from 21st i will at least slide the tray out to check for problems. Especially with the way Ebay is today.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy