Have $60000 lying around?

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Have $60000 lying around?

Post by PanzerArm » Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Found this site this evening and thought I'd share with everyone. I'm sure some of you are already familiar with it. Tons of AFVs for sale:

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds.php?type=1

If you have $60k you can get your very own T-72! Hmmm, do I get the Audi or the T-72....

I think shipping is extra :?

-Kevin

TankAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Have $60000 lying around?

Post by TankAce » Mon May 30, 2011 8:00 pm

I would go for the T-72 instead of the Audi. I holds its value better and it grabs more attention :lol:

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Mon May 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Shipping is not included? A tank like a T-72 is too large to fit in a container, so you are talking of major bucks to ship it as deck cargo.

Look for one already here. While you are at it, look for a truck big enough to haul it around. No state is going to let you drive a T-72 around.

The tank guys, especially the "big" tank collectors are in a very private class all by themselves. Also known as the "Big Buck Collectors". Sorry guys but you are not invited to join. Hope for some major Lottery winnings.

Go for wheeled armor to have your fun. 8)

TTT
Sometimes I am the windshield, sometimes, I am the bug.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue May 31, 2011 8:43 am

But I want a tank TTT :(

In all seriousness though if I did win the lottery, I would be starting my own AFV collection, wheeled and tracked alike. In the meantime I'm afraid my meager earnings will limit me to their 1/32 scale little brothers...

-Kevin

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 am

You can certinally start your AFV 1/1 collection without importing a vehicle from accross the pond. Tanks are available here. OK, so they are expensive but you can get a halftrack from $6k up to $40,000 (restored with working quad .50) or a M-20 or M-8 armored car from $15k up to $45,000. All you need is a garage with space to restore and patience to restore and to find parts. Not impossible for the average collector. Some restores can take from a few years up to 10 years. Meanwhile, after getting it in running condition, you can have fun with it running around.

Half the fun of driving a MV is fixing it when it breaks down. One year, in a big Memorial Day parade, I broke down with my Command Car, (we had tried to do two parades 40 miles apart and pushed the car too hard) with some big politios in the back seat. I'm blocking the parade route and the car will not move. 15 NG paraders pushed me to the side while I waiting for my BIL, who was driving my M-37, to finish the parade to come back and tow me home. Problem with the rear "pumpkin". Two weeks later I found a whole rear on wheels and replace mine. Parts are always available. I didn't have the ability to replace the broken gears (or even to disamble the pumpkin), it was easier to replace the entire rear with the help of my two boys, ages 8 and 11 at the time.

I remember, when I broke down, a NG M-113 APC pulled up behind my CC and the Sgt. says "I'll push you". I explained that the back of my CC would be crushed by the M-113, as calmly as I could, and the Sgt. got the 15 bodies to push me to the side.

Some of my most fun was breakdowns by me, or my buddies had, including a Veteran's Day parade in Manhattan when our halftrack blew a head qasket and our WC-62 and my CC chain pulled the HT all the way back to Staten Island. Most of the way, with the big Dodge pulling the HT, we were afraid to stop and went through 50 red lights in Manhattan, with me driving fast from light to light and blocking intersections with the CC. Finally back on SI, we hit some big hills and the Dodge was overheating and couldn't get up the hills towing the 9 ton HT so I jumped out and hooked a chain from the Dodge and with the CC and the WC-62 in series, we made it up and over the hills pulling the HT. Fun.

I never restored any of my vehicles to pristine condition, just good enough to look good and to have fun. :)

TTT

bigsarge
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by bigsarge » Tue May 31, 2011 3:00 pm

one of my dreams before i die is to restore a ww2 jeep or a 65 mustang...might try both...both would be fun projects and not that overly expensive
positive trade and sale references:
DerVogelfänger,USCGSARdog,KAMIKAZE,parrish333,KWR190,Hworth18,caesarbc,Black Lion VF-213

Threetoughtrucks

Post by Threetoughtrucks » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 pm

The only advantage of working on a Jeep is the fact that it fits in a regular garage with room around it and it is light enough to work on by yourself.

I've owned Jeeps but only for investment. My interests were primarily Dodge 3/4 ton trucks. My Dodge Command Car fit in my garage but my Dodge M-37's were too high to go easily through the door without removing the cap top. The Dodges were tough enough to live in the weather under a tarp.

Jeeps are expensive unless you find a basket case that needs absolutely everything..... and every NOS part brings your costs up. Completely restored WW2 Jeeps can easily run up to and over $20,000.

I've owned maybe 15 military vehicles by myself and partners in more than a few more. I have always said that I never lost money on a military vehicle, no matter what I did or even if I didn't touch it at all.

Kind of like 1/18, except much more money. :?

TTT