Question on 1/18 JSI F-14

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Question on 1/18 JSI F-14

Post by acisne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:28 am

We are getting our 14YO son one for Christmas (I don't collect modern stuff) so I wanted to know if there is a way to know who is selling the lesser spotted one and who has the best deal on it.

I saw that AviatorNut has it for $209, is it the early release?

TIA

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Question on 1/18 JSI F-14

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:28 am

I just got an email from Aviatornut - his new sale price is $189.99 with a free F14 poster. I'm assuming it would be the original "spotcat" version.
It really wasn't too bad fixing the spots myself on mine. The hardest part is masking off all the markings. After following many different techniques I went with a "make-up pad" dabbing technique. It looks fantastic - as good as airbrushed. I have an airbrush but decided to try the dabbing technique instead. Like I said masking off markings is the hardest part. You can follow the repaint thread posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19178&start=225
Just scroll down and start reading the deankleines and pcoughran posts for how to do it and pictures of results.
Good luck.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:38 am

Also, I wouldn't display the F14 on its gear - your just asking for them to break. Get one of pizzaguy's acrylic display stands or just hang it from the ceiling with heavy duty fishing line. Or you can spring for SkyWorks Toys metal replacement landing gear too.

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks! I just checked the site and it is still $209. I would get the spotcat if it was that price (plus probably add another plane for Santa to bring me.

I plan to hang it like the F-104 he has already up there.

Do I need a secret handshake to get the email?

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

I'll PM you and you can reply with your email - I'll forward you his email with the special - although I'm sure you could PM him (aviatornut) and he would give you payment and shipping details.

iflabs
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by iflabs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm

I have mine for sell, $200 shipped if interested.

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 pm

That's a good price for one that has been "fixed" of it dreaded spots, especially shipping included. I took me most of a day to fix mine so you could save yourself a decent amount of labor, unless you are one of the few who like the spots.

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm

iflabs,
Do you have the box? As it is a gift, I would like it to be somewhat boxed. And would you take PayPal?
Al

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks for the offer iflabs. I went ahead and got one from AviatorNut mainly because they take PP and I have funds there. Also, I would like to make this a dad-son project to clear the spots.

Thanks again and if anyone is looking for one, here is their chance!

formerblueangel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by formerblueangel » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

iflabs wrote:Image

I have mine for sell, $200 shipped if interested.
Email me at [email protected], I'd be interested. Thanks. :blueangel:

acisne
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by acisne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks again to all that replied and PMed me! Looking forward to my son opening it up Christmas morning.
He and I spent the day at the Air And Space Smithsonian this summer and he went on and on about how neat of an airplane the F-14 was. Shortly after that he informed me that he wants to be a Navy flier and fly one (didn't have the heart to tell him at the time that the Tomcats are retired :lol: ) He wants to do it after his stint as the shortest NBA center and after he gets his doctorate. :D

BTW, he is also getting Top Gun and The Final Countdown in DVD. :lol: