How to question(s)

This Is The Place To Buy, Trade And Sale Your XD, 32X, BBI Items As Well As Your Other Small Scale Items.
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Forum rules
Please Note: Only Members 18 Years And Older Are Allowed To Post And Trade, and you must have been a member of this forum for 6 months to participate.
Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

How to question(s)

Post by Ruger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Hopefully this is the correct area for this subject, if not feel free to move it or delete it and let me know.

For those who frequent the off topic forum, you've probably read about my recent good fortune. If not, check it out here.

After checking and making sure that I am indeed old enough to B/S/T, I'd sure like to share this luck with other board members. The thing is, I'm not sure quite how to go about it. I thought I was onto something with an idea about using Ebay, I liked the idea I about using Ebay and setting it up as a very dull listing (no pics, limited text), for one day only, counting on not many people being interested. I'd have pics and info here, along with descriptions and links to everything. I'd offer it on a pre-agreed upon day, so everyone would get a chance, with no one left out by time zones or some such. I particularly like the part about how everyone would have a fair shot at things, since always feel bad when I see someone offer something, and someone reply right away, and then someone else not seeing the post until several hours go by, doesn't have a chance. It would also give me a chance to build Ebay feedback, right now, mine is good, 100%, but limited (only 1).

But then I did a little more reading and found that Ebay isn't as well liked as it used to be. It seems to have gotten fee happy. I can't say much about that, as I've never sold anything on there, but if you guys are against it, and I'm primarily interested in doing business with you guys, it makes sense to me to try to find a way to avoid Ebay.

So what does that leave me with? What I see primarily here are postings where someone has an item(s) that they want to part with, and all the other posts are just to let them know that someone has PM'ed them. I had thought conducting business via PM was not recommended (from reading the rules for this forum), so I wasn't sure if that was the best way to go. Also, since most of the transactions I see are conducted that way, I don't know how they go. Are they simply first come, first serve? Do members "bid" for an item. I don't have a lot of experience shipping these items, what can I expect for shipping costs? I'd like to have a fair and open process, but don't know just how this is done here. Anyone care to fill me in with the details so I can get things moving?

Thanks in advance.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

trigger1
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by trigger1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Do some research on the items you are buying and selling.I don't think any of the members on this forum will be offended if you tell them that you would like to pass on an offer.If you are looking for something specific to trade just put that in the post and give as much information as you can.My thoughts on shipping prices..This is not Ebay. Seems to me that most members here are very fair and will let you know how shipping will be dealt with.
B/S/T Contacts:holensock,billgiff,Razor17019,KWR190,ostketten,kevrut,ram04 etc...

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm

I agree on the "handling" charges, those bother me even with established businesses. Geesh, people, if you want to sell me an item, an integral part of doing so is handling the item and so forth. I don't mind shipping, though I do feel that, for the most part, it should be just a straight passing on of the actual shipping charges. I am ok with either individuals or companies who deal with many similar items (such as 1:32 scale tanks) just having a round figure that covers shipping, as long as it is just that, a figure that is right around the actual cost, and that it doesn't change higher if the item weighs a little more, yet remain the same for a lighter piece. You know, just a flat $8 (or whatever) per item.

As for myself, I was just hoping to get a ballpark idea how you guys ship and what it costs (all my personal shipping is done via FedEx, but I'm friends with the FedEx guy...). I don't mind shipping first, my costs so far are fairly minimal, so I can't get taken for too much (famous last words...), right? I was only planning on using actual costs.

I had thought that some sort of bidding system would work the best, as I'm willing to let these go at cost, but I'd like to make sure that the person who wanted them most could have them, as opposed to just who ever saw them first. Does that make sense?

Feel free to offer ideas for how this could best be done.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Don't have much more to add, the others pretty much said it all. I too would like to be more proficient on BST, I've been able to for months now but I haven't yet made a transaction. :(
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton